- This woman told two students to ‘speak English’ and people are not having it Friday 9:53 PM
- Iconic 1968 drag documentary ‘The Queen’ finally released on Netflix Friday 9:29 PM
- This TikTok account for Chancellor Palpatine is hilarious Friday 8:43 PM
- Did the Space Force logo rip off Star Trek? Friday 6:24 PM
- Disabled people with service dogs say Uber, Lyft drivers are denying them rides Friday 3:25 PM
- TikTok teen famous for greasy hair ends her 8-year reign Friday 2:48 PM
- Police handcuff brown man at subway station for carrying a toy gun Friday 1:20 PM
- Fake clip of Sanders quoting infamous ‘hot chip’ tweet is duping people online Friday 1:16 PM
- The Mars Volta’s Cedric Bixler-Zavala alleges Scientologists behind dog’s death Friday 12:46 PM
- Eminem responds to critics: ‘This album was not made for the squeamish’ Friday 12:42 PM
- ‘The poet, the poem’ meme takes iconic lines and turns them into art Friday 12:40 PM
- People are making dark memes about the coronavirus Friday 12:27 PM
- Trump camp’s ‘head on a pike’ impeachment threat hit with memes Friday 11:34 AM
- What is the #FreeBritney movement, and why is Cher tweeting about it? Friday 10:52 AM
- This YouTuber claims the Saudi government plotted to kidnap him on U.S. soil Friday 10:30 AM
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) announced an official impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump, a long-awaited move for many Democrats.
“Today I’m announcing the House of Representatives is moving forward with an official impeachment inquiry,” Pelosi said in an announcement on Tuesday evening.
Pelosi has long resisted the call from many Democrats to start impeachment proceedings in order to get Trump out of office. The tipping point for Pelosi was apparently Trump’s recent controversy surrounding Ukraine, where he admitted to discussing presidential candidate Joe Biden with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky. Trump then put a hold on nearly $400 million in military aid to Ukraine to allegedly put pressure on the country to investigate Biden’s son.
“This week, the president has admitted to asking the president of Ukraine to take actions which would benefit him politically,” Pelosi explained. “The actions of the Trump presidency revealed dishonorable facts of the president’s betrayal of his oath of office, betrayal of national security and betrayal of the integrity of our elections.”
For many, the announcement was long overdue. It even prompted an overabundance of celebratory memes, most of which are about Pelosi on her way to impeach Trump.
Nancy Pelosi arriving at the decision to impeach pic.twitter.com/96mT0pWALC— R. Eric Thomas (@oureric) September 24, 2019
Nancy Pelosi on her way to impeach Trump pic.twitter.com/DU0AJIx20h— Link Lauren (@itslinklauren) September 24, 2019
It seems like the only person who didn’t see the impeachment proceedings coming was Trump, himself.
“Pelosi, Nadler, Schiff and, of course, Maxine Waters! Can you believe this?” he wrote in response to the news.
Pelosi, Nadler, Schiff and, of course, Maxine Waters! Can you believe this?— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 24, 2019
Tiffanie Drayton is a geek culture and lifestyle reporter whose work covers everything from gender and race to anime and Xbox. Her work has appeared in Complex, Salon, Marie Claire, Playboy, and elsewhere.