- Meet ByteDance, the Chinese tech company behind TikTok 2 Months Ago
- Everything you need to know about investing app Robinhood 2 Months Ago
- How to stream 49ers vs. Seahawks on Monday Night Football Today 1:43 PM
- Cops cuff Black man for eating sandwich on subway platform Today 1:29 PM
- Drake booed offstage by Frank Ocean fans Today 1:17 PM
- Trump says he’s meeting with vaping industry as administration readies new rules Today 12:42 PM
- Everything you need to know about Google Reverse Image Search Today 12:29 PM
- Hong Kong police caught on live stream shooting protester Today 12:26 PM
- Twitter proposes adding warnings to tweets with deepfakes Today 10:43 AM
- Dak Prescott’s pregame warmup becomes an instant meme Today 10:40 AM
- lhan Omar baselessly accused of anti-Semitism for billionaires tweet Today 10:15 AM
- Tulsi Gabbard wants Hillary Clinton to retract her Russia accusations Today 9:24 AM
- 21 stoner gift ideas that don’t involve buying weed Today 9:13 AM
- PayPal and Venmo’s anti-terrorism regulations are causing headaches for average businesses Today 9:06 AM
- Consumers claim the Apple Card is sexist Today 8:44 AM
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) announced an official impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump, a long-awaited move for many Democrats.
“Today I’m announcing the House of Representatives is moving forward with an official impeachment inquiry,” Pelosi said in an announcement on Tuesday evening.
Pelosi has long resisted the call from many Democrats to start impeachment proceedings in order to get Trump out of office. The tipping point for Pelosi was apparently Trump’s recent controversy surrounding Ukraine, where he admitted to discussing presidential candidate Joe Biden with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky. Trump then put a hold on nearly $400 million in military aid to Ukraine to allegedly put pressure on the country to investigate Biden’s son.
“This week, the president has admitted to asking the president of Ukraine to take actions which would benefit him politically,” Pelosi explained. “The actions of the Trump presidency revealed dishonorable facts of the president’s betrayal of his oath of office, betrayal of national security and betrayal of the integrity of our elections.”
For many, the announcement was long overdue. It even prompted an overabundance of celebratory memes, most of which are about Pelosi on her way to impeach Trump.
Nancy Pelosi arriving at the decision to impeach pic.twitter.com/96mT0pWALC— R. Eric Thomas (@oureric) September 24, 2019
Nancy Pelosi on her way to impeach Trump pic.twitter.com/DU0AJIx20h— Link Lauren (@itslinklauren) September 24, 2019
It seems like the only person who didn’t see the impeachment proceedings coming was Trump, himself.
“Pelosi, Nadler, Schiff and, of course, Maxine Waters! Can you believe this?” he wrote in response to the news.
Pelosi, Nadler, Schiff and, of course, Maxine Waters! Can you believe this?— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 24, 2019
Tiffanie Drayton is a geek culture and lifestyle reporter whose work covers everything from gender and race to anime and Xbox. Her work has appeared in Complex, Salon, Marie Claire, Playboy, and elsewhere.