- Game developer Chucklefish accused of whitewashing characters of color Monday 5:22 PM
- Apple TV’s ‘Hala’ is a silent explosion of a coming-of-age film Monday 5:20 PM
- This new video game apparently lets you play Jesus Monday 4:02 PM
- Golden toilet creator sells world’s most expensive banana—only for another artist to eat it Monday 3:24 PM
- This new Chinese video game lets players attack Hong Kong protesters Monday 3:05 PM
- These TikTok videos that recreate NPC interactions from Skyrim are honestly incredible Monday 2:40 PM
- John Legend defends pro-consent ‘Baby It’s Cold Outside’ lyrics Monday 2:38 PM
- Video shows UC Berkeley student using racial slurs, making homophobic comments Monday 2:36 PM
- New video reveals Brother Nature instigated sandwich shop fight Monday 2:06 PM
- Lizzo’s thong dress breaks the internet Monday 1:25 PM
- Pixel Buds 2 or Apple AirPods 2: Which are right for you? Monday 1:09 PM
- It’s 2019: Make your holiday cards online, for free this year Monday 12:47 PM
- Fighting over the ‘Marriage Story’ fight scene becomes a meme Monday 12:41 PM
- ‘Trump is innocent!’: InfoWars correspondent interrupts impeachment hearing Monday 12:12 PM
- Video shows runner smacking reporter’s butt on live TV Monday 11:46 AM
It’s easy to believe that Melania Trump might not want to spend a lot of time with her husband. Donald Trump hasn’t exactly shown himself to be women’s greatest ally, and videos of the first lady swatting away the president’s hand are all over YouTube.
But would she go so far as to use a body double to avoid being at this side? Well, some conspiracy theorists seem to think so. They point to a CNN video shot on Friday that they claim shows Donald Trump standing on the White House lawn with an imposter.
Will the real Melania please stand up? Is it me or during his speech today a decoy “stood in” for Melania??...Posted by Andrea Wagner Barton on Friday, October 13, 2017
Not only is the first lady dressed like a cartoon version of an undercover spy, but at around the three-minute mark in the video Trump, for some odd reason, says, “My wife Melina, who happens to be right here,”.
According to an Inquistr article, searches for “Melania Trump double” have risen 250% on Google since Friday. Of course, it’s important to remember that since practically no one was searching for that phrase before, it wouldn’t take very many people to create such a spike.
Still, the Melania double conspiracy is a reality. Wagoner Burton’s post has been shared over 100,000 times and other people are now jumping on the “fake Melania” bandwagon.
Melania doesn’t look like herself here...— Equilibrium (@Iustitia_Omnib) October 17, 2017
I’m not one for conspiracies but that’s not Malania.....— Your Favorite Arkansan (@YourFavArkie) October 16, 2017
This is not Melania. To think they would go this far & try & make us think its her on TV is mind blowing. Makes me wonder what else is a lie pic.twitter.com/JhPVmXdGit— BuyLegalMeds.com (@JoeVargas) October 18, 2017
@rhyse Is it me or does Melania appear to be a man in drag here with a wig and large sunglasses on. Can only assume she left trump weeks ago and he hasn’t yet found a way of saying he’s done a great job on the divorce ...I have the best divorce lawyers THE BEST .— Rhydian Williams (@Rhyddler) October 14, 2017
Oddly enough, this isn’t the first time someone has suggested Melania might be using a body double. Over a month ago a Twitter user suggested the first lady might have pulled a Queen Amidala and switched places with one of her security personnel.
Melania's body double? pic.twitter.com/itBES20eLb— Jarica Davis (@jaricadavis) September 14, 2017
As fun as it might have been to believe, it’s probably safe to say that this myth is busted. If Melania ever starts kissing her husband in public, we’ll take a closer look.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.