- YouTube says it will be harsher on creators with ‘patterns of harassing behavior’ Today 1:15 PM
- Why one senator stopped a vote on net neutrality Today 12:49 PM
- Man reportedly denied refugee status after officials fail to forward email Today 12:09 PM
- ‘Jojo Rabbit’ star to lead Disney+ ‘Home Alone’ reboot Today 12:08 PM
- Beyoncé and Kelly Rowland were harassed by Jagged Edge as teens, Mathew Knowles says Today 11:52 AM
- White nationalist Nick Fuentes is upset MTV aired his white nationalist views Today 11:37 AM
- Juice WRLD had secret drug-littered Instagram, according to his ex-girlfriend Today 11:10 AM
- Jersey City suspect posted anti-Semitic, anti-police materials online Today 10:30 AM
- Novaruu was banned from Twitch for 3 days—and she can’t understand why Today 10:12 AM
- Pete Buttigieg swears he’s not in the CIA Today 9:28 AM
- Greta Thunberg named ‘Time’ 2019 person of the year Today 9:28 AM
- The best gear and gadget gifts for Dad this holiday season Today 7:30 AM
- The 10 most important sci-fi films of the 2010s Today 7:00 AM
- Netflix advances beyond testosterone-fueled anime with subdued ‘Levius’ Today 6:00 AM
- Influencer accused of selling shirt she was supposed to promote Tuesday 8:42 PM
Leaked video shows Jeopardy! champ James Holzhauer’s 32-day winning streak coming to an end.
BREAKING: Jeopardy! champ James Holzhauer loses on Monday’s episode: pic.twitter.com/yqRqdl2zp0— Random Intel (@TheRandomIntel) June 2, 2019
Holzhauer, a sports gambler by profession, amassed $2,464,216 in his Jeopardy! wins. Holzhauer’s winnings reportedly fall just short of surpassing the $2,520,700 record set by Ken Jennings’s 72-day winning streak in 2004.
The video, apparently of Monday’s episode, started circulating online late Sunday night. In the clip, Holzhauer, along with opposing player Emma Boettcher provide the correct answer of “Who is Kit Marlowe?” to the “Final Jeopardy” question. Unfortunately for Holzhauer, his wager was not enough. Holzhauer bet a modest amount of $1,399, bringing his total in the game to $24,799. Boettcher, on the other hand, went big with her wager of $20,201. Her correct answer brought her total to $46,801.
After an audience gasp, Jeopardy! host Alex Trebek, also visibly surprised, crowns Boettcher the winner of the game. Holzhauer, ever the good sport, is also seen in the clip going over Boettcher and congratulating her on ending his streak.
Holzhauer hinted at his defeat with a tweet on Sunday morning.
My kid cried about the possibility of her dad losing, so I told her we could have a party the day after it inevitably happens. Now she cries when I win https://t.co/wuBEJtcP4J— James Holzhauer (@James_Holzhauer) June 2, 2019
While we all knew Holzhauer’s eventual defeat was an inevitability, at least his daughter will be celebrating the conclusion of his impressive run.
- How to watch ‘Jeopardy’ for free
- Contestant answers ‘Final Jeopardy’ with a meme—and still wins
- Twitter users mock Eric Trump’s ‘Jeopardy!’ tweet
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Ignacio Martinez is a journalism student at the University of Texas at Austin and an intern at the Daily Dot. His work has appeared in the Texas Observer and on the airwaves at KVRX 91.7 FM.