- ‘Fast and Furious’ + ‘American Ninja Warrior’ = Netflix’s ‘Hyperdrive’ 2 Months Ago
- Trump jokes drop in Dow is because Seth Moulton dropped out of 2020 race 2 Months Ago
- What we learned when we visited Mr. B, America’s chonkiest cat Today 1:46 PM
- Trump’s new plan to fight opioid overdose? This tweet Today 1:06 PM
- Fitness influencer shamed for ‘sharing numbers’ in weight loss posts Today 1:04 PM
- The VSCO Girl has always been here Today 1:01 PM
- Tomi Lahren’s new ‘Freedom’ clothing line is made for meme mockery Today 12:21 PM
- Taylor Swift’s ‘London Boy’ is a bop, but Brits don’t think her lyrics are accurate Today 12:02 PM
- Popeyes blasted for employee welfare amid chicken sandwich war Today 11:59 AM
- Cory Booker says nonbinary ‘niephew’ taught him about trans issues Today 11:53 AM
- Megachurch pushes conversion therapy on Instagram, Facebook with #OnceGay Today 11:11 AM
- Christian movie review site blasts Netflix’s ‘The Family’ Today 10:50 AM
- YouTube removes ‘coordinated’ channels spreading Hong Kong misinformation Today 8:58 AM
- Christina Hendricks reveals she was the hand model for ‘American Beauty’ Today 8:30 AM
- Why can’t independent feminist websites stay afloat? Today 8:17 AM
A new cat video meme is finally shedding some light on an all too familiar dating trope.
We’ve all had at least one. That very good looking female friend, who has inexplicable taste in weird dudes. Maybe he’s just got a good personality. Or he’s funny? Hey, it could even be that he’s got some low-key big dick energy going on that just not everyone vibes with. Whatever the case, it’s not exactly a rare phenomenon.
(Although less prevalent in a role reversal—where’s the love for all the weird girls?? And don’t even get us started on that “adorkable” crap.)
Enter this TikTok video, uploaded by user Petinho. In it, a hairless Sphynx cat—wearing a jaunty little smock, natch—makes some serious muffins on an absolutely stunning champagne and white floofy heckin’ chonk of a cat. Like, we could straight up see Taylor Swift adopting that cat, it’s so pretty.
At the risk of misgendering cats, for the purpose of this article, we’ll just assume that the hairless cat is a boy and the floofy cat is a girl. That’s evidently how the rest of the internet saw it, anyway, as the video went viral and people began using it to make relationship commentary.
“What beautiful women look like when they hook up with comedians,” wrote Twitter user @katstkat, in a tweet that has since gone viral:
what beautiful women look like when they hook up with comedians pic.twitter.com/7FhBw9ygxT— kathryn margaret rose (@katstkat) June 27, 2019
“That egirl u like and her horrific goblin drug dealer bf,” added user named, uh, @MINECRAFTMILF:
that egirl u like and her horrific goblin drug dealer bf pic.twitter.com/qBX0fw3R2W— boo (@MINECRAFTMILF) June 27, 2019
Others had similarly colorful commentary:
This how all my beautiful friends look like with their ugly ass boyfriends https://t.co/pUPwR9fKOE— circé (@lapetitealo) June 26, 2019
That cats definitely a gold digger. She saw his Feline Vuitton turtle neck and let him cuddle. https://t.co/ZiKHhHsQRA— Chef G (@_Coils) June 26, 2019
This how broke boys be holding their girl at the cashier https://t.co/myhnnogFpn— TariQ (@TQ_RUNUP) June 28, 2019
But some people would just be happy to have a partner in the first place, whether it be the human version of a hairless cat or not. “Even cats have partner. What am I? A rock?” tweeted @Blairnath.
Even cats have partner. What am I? A rock? https://t.co/RuHHPAI3Iy— Salty (@Blairnath) June 25, 2019
As they say, the grass will always seem greener on the other side of the weird, cat-shaped fence.
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.