- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate player’s trans flag removed for being ‘political’ Monday 7:37 PM
- Does Donald Trump Jr. know what American soldiers do? Monday 7:17 PM
- Sophie Turner has a hot take on Arya’s ‘Game of Thrones’ sex scene Monday 6:50 PM
- Parked Tesla Model S bursts into flames in shocking video Monday 3:12 PM
- Fortnite is getting an Avengers Endgame event Monday 2:44 PM
- The living are facing the end of the world in the latest ‘Game of Thrones’ Monday 2:37 PM
- The best Korean beauty toners for your skincare routine Monday 2:33 PM
- Warren’s plan to cancel student debt stimulates the bad-take economy Monday 2:27 PM
- Video shows Easter Bunny punching man on sidewalk Monday 2:09 PM
- The 7 best lubes for when you wanna do butt stuff Monday 2:00 PM
- 11 best sex toys under $35 to blow your mind Monday 1:30 PM
- Twitch streamer inadvertently documents all the times she was sexually, verbally harassed on vacation Monday 1:12 PM
- Raptors coach Nick Nurse becomes a relatable meme Monday 1:12 PM
- Man wears bandage that blends in with his skin tone, and Twitter has all the feelings Monday 12:55 PM
- The 8 best Korean sunscreens to add to your bag Monday 12:15 PM
Driving our planet into a man-made hellfire has made it difficult for discovery. Sure, there’s the occasional news item of a spider being named after David Bowie or an erudite cave beetle named after Hitler. Rarely is the animal kingdom disrupted, though.
As of this writing, the petition was a mere 12 supporters away from reaching its 1,500 benchmark, which will automatically turn into a far larger goal, because Change.org is a fickle beast. Nonetheless, spicy boys have inspired incredible support from animal advocates, including hardcore band Such Gold.
In addition to “spicy boys” being the only logical name for such a creature, supporters point to just how fucking woke spicy boys are, signaling an unprecedented advent of progress in the animal kingdom.
“I believe that it is our responsibility as the younger generation to look after our world for both our futures and the future generations after us. Part of this improvment plan will be making sure our animals are happy and safe. Recently the fire ants have been speaking to me about their discomfort with the name ‘fire ant’ as it gives them disphoria and we should respect their decision to be called ‘Spicy Boys,'” the Change.org letter reads.
“There are 36 genders, furrys and bronys are active members of our community, there is a rising possibility of bay blade becoming an olympic sport, why can we have this but we can’t our spicy boys.”
Listen to the people, Obamas and nerdy guy who founded Facebook. And, most importantly, listen to the fire ants.
A former Weekend Editor at the Daily Dot, April Siese's reporting covers everything from technology and politics to web culture and humor. Her work has been published by Bustle, Uproxx, Death and Taxes, Rolling Stone, the Daily Beast, Thrillist, Atlas Obscura, and others. Siese joined Quartz in December 2016.