- Twitch-famous bounty hunter kicks down target’s door in wildly popular live stream 4 Years Ago
- New GOP bill would audit major tech companies for bias 4 Years Ago
- Instagram artist accused of faking her paintings says they’re ‘100%’ real 4 Years Ago
- Trump refuses to apologize for Central Park Five death penalty ads Today 11:08 AM
- While Rubio smiles at Trump’s campaign rally, the internet drags him Today 11:04 AM
- Dr Disrespect is still banned from Twitch. When will he be back? Today 10:36 AM
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ is returning to theaters with new material Today 10:18 AM
- House fails to pass amendment curbing government surveillance Today 10:12 AM
- What happened when Ed Krassenstein crashed the Chapo Trap House subreddit Today 9:21 AM
- Andrew Yang comes out as pro-Bird Scooters Today 8:59 AM
- Netflix claims Adam Sandler’s ‘Murder Mystery’ broke viewing records Today 8:09 AM
- How to watch ‘Yellowstone’ online for free Today 8:00 AM
- How online allies joined a trans artist’s street art war Today 7:30 AM
- These edited videos show the dark side of your favorite cartoons Today 7:00 AM
- Coca-Cola now exists in ‘Star Wars’ canon Today 6:44 AM
Mexican drug lord’s baffling prison escape spawns a wealth of memes
They think he’s going after Donald Trump.
Drug kingpin Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman sparked a national manhunt this weekend with his illustrious escape from a maximum-security prison in Mexico. While the Mexican government is busy trying to figure out exactly how Guzman escaped Altiplano Federal Prison using a hole in the shower area that lead to a tunnel, the Internet has set to work doing its thing: memes.
El Chapo, whose massive drug-smuggling operation plays a significant role in U.S.–Mexico border violence, has inspired memes that have run wild across networks like Imgur and Instagram. Meme-makers have done everything from mashing up his escape with video games to bringing Donald Trump (who recently made racist remarks about Mexicans) into the mix.
Check out some of the best ones.
Translated: “That awkward moment when El Chapo went out on Saturday and you didn’t…”
A video posted by Being Latino (@beinglatino) on
While the Internet might be laughing at the escape that seems to have baffled the Mexican government, it’s worthwhile to remember all of the crime lord’s dangerous activities that landed him in jail in the first place.
Photo via worldstarmexicans/Instagram
Gabe Bergado is a Daily Dot alumnus who covered dank memes, teens, and the weirdest corners of the Internet. One time, Ted Cruz supporters turned him into a meme—or at least tried to. In 2017, he started reporting for Teen Vogue's entertainment section.