- ‘Stranger Things’ season 3 trailer teases a wet, hot American summer 4 Years Ago
- What Daenerys’ biggest ‘Game of Thrones’ scenes have in common with Nazi propaganda 4 Years Ago
- Here’s what’s coming to Amazon Prime in June Today 2:11 PM
- Where did Jon Snow go? Unpacking the ‘Game of Thrones’ ending Today 2:04 PM
- So, did anyone actually win ‘Game of Thrones’? Today 1:29 PM
- The surprising religious subtext of ‘John Wick: Chapter 3’ Today 12:53 PM
- Robin Arryn got hot—and the internet is seriously shook Today 12:40 PM
- Tana Mongeau is going to VidCon a year after TanaCon disaster Today 12:12 PM
- What have 2020 Democrats said about Alabama’s abortion ban? Today 11:36 AM
- People keep throwing milkshakes at the U.K.’s far-right politicians Today 11:10 AM
- James Charles is rebounding from his YouTube scandal—and his mentor is paying the price Today 10:42 AM
- Conservatives accuse Pete Buttigieg of wanting to tear down Jefferson Memorial Today 10:28 AM
- Graduating Moorehouse students thank billionaire for vowing to pay off $40m in student debt Today 10:22 AM
- ‘Westworld’ season 3 trailer gives us a new world, Aaron Paul Today 10:17 AM
- Twitch streamer says she’s receiving backlash for ‘getting men banned’ Today 9:27 AM
Mexican drug lord’s baffling prison escape spawns a wealth of memes
They think he’s going after Donald Trump.
Drug kingpin Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman sparked a national manhunt this weekend with his illustrious escape from a maximum-security prison in Mexico. While the Mexican government is busy trying to figure out exactly how Guzman escaped Altiplano Federal Prison using a hole in the shower area that lead to a tunnel, the Internet has set to work doing its thing: memes.
El Chapo, whose massive drug-smuggling operation plays a significant role in U.S.–Mexico border violence, has inspired memes that have run wild across networks like Imgur and Instagram. Meme-makers have done everything from mashing up his escape with video games to bringing Donald Trump (who recently made racist remarks about Mexicans) into the mix.
Check out some of the best ones.
Translated: “That awkward moment when El Chapo went out on Saturday and you didn’t…”
A video posted by Being Latino (@beinglatino) on
While the Internet might be laughing at the escape that seems to have baffled the Mexican government, it’s worthwhile to remember all of the crime lord’s dangerous activities that landed him in jail in the first place.
Photo via worldstarmexicans/Instagram
Gabe Bergado is a Daily Dot alumnus who covered dank memes, teens, and the weirdest corners of the Internet. One time, Ted Cruz supporters turned him into a meme—or at least tried to. In 2017, he started reporting for Teen Vogue's entertainment section.