- #IVapeIVote may have helped Trump back off proposed vaping ban 3 Years Ago
- Whataburger blasted for refusing to serve drag queen 3 Years Ago
- ‘Justice League’ actors show support for the Snyder Cut campaign Today 8:08 AM
- Laura Loomer may be a fringe candidate, but she’s being funded by big-time GOP donors Today 8:00 AM
- TikTok teen makes a video of his English teacher, the guy who sang ‘Story of a Girl’ Today 7:50 AM
- The teens of TikTok are doing just fine, thank you very much Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Watchmen’ episode 5: Looking Glass just became one of the most compelling characters Sunday 9:05 PM
- Man allegedly kills girlfriend, then pretends to be her on Facebook Sunday 4:29 PM
- Trevor Lawrence met TikTok teen who looks just like him Sunday 3:48 PM
- Trump’s hospital visit spawns conspiracy theories Sunday 2:49 PM
- ‘SNL’ skit combines Harry Styles, the Popeyes chicken sandwich, and Disney+ Sunday 2:02 PM
- Doctored photo of GOP congresswoman flipping the bird fools critics Sunday 1:05 PM
- Internet scammers taking advantage of Narwhal the ‘unicorn’ rescue puppy Sunday 12:19 PM
- Sunday Night Football: How to stream Bears vs. Rams live Sunday 12:00 PM
- CupcakKe’s month-long ‘water fast’ has fans concerned Sunday 11:24 AM
The internet has found a number of reasons to skewer Donald Trump Jr., son of President Donald J. Trump—his infamous “Skittles” tweet about refugees, his big-game hunting habit, his posts on online message boards—but the improbable thing that finally made him a meme is being extremely bad at sitting. And, because he is a Trump, he had to respond to it.
Death and Taxes writer Jordan Freiman’s tweet featuring a triptych of awkward, seated photos of Trump Jr. went viral on Saturday, with many agreeing that Don the Younger’s sitting skills leave much to be desired.
Honestly am not surprised that DJT Jr. is the asshole kid from The Giving Tree. pic.twitter.com/42Th8ibbhz— Rachel Vorona Cote (@RVoronaCote) March 18, 2017
Donald Trump Jr. looks like a scarecrow that a bank leaves on a foreclosed farm. pic.twitter.com/1Udvbc02dQ— Josh Gondelman (@joshgondelman) March 18, 2017
WHAT ARE THOOOOOOOOOOOOSE pic.twitter.com/Sg3cvRVC15— Zach Kelly (@ZachWKelly) March 18, 2017
By Sunday night, Trump Jr. had become aware he was being roasted, and decided to respond in classic “I’m not mad, I’m actually laughing” internet fashion. On Instagram, under a screenshot of Freiman’s tweet, he wrote, “Apparently I’m really bad at sitting?!?! Based on the memes out there I now know what it feels like to be Salt Bae! Thanks internet… And in all honesty if a couple bad pics is all you’ve got I’m pretty psyched.”
Apparently I'm really bad at sitting?!?! Based on the memes out there I now know what it feels like to be Salt Bae! Thanks internet... And in all honesty if a couple bad pics is all you've got I'm pretty psyched. #tryharder #saltbae #trump #haters #hatersgonnahate
A post shared by Donald Trump Jr. (@donaldjtrumpjr) on
For good measure, he included the hashtags #tryharder #saltbae #trump, #haters, and #hatersgonnahate.
Comparing yourself to Salt Bae, the sexiest meme star of the year? Donnie, please. The salt is real, but none of it is being sprinkled on a fine slab of Turkish steak.
Granted, it must feel bad to be in the public eye as a result of your very controversial dad’s love affair with wealth and fame—in the same New York Times piece featuring the “bad sitting” photo, Trump Jr. openly dreams about wishing himself away and moving out West—but the only way to win the internet’s game is not to play. No response to Twitter flaming can ever be a good one, and the only thing worse than trying to convince everyone you’re not mad is to do it by being mad and nude.
Please, Don Jr., do not go down the dark path to mad and nude.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.