- Tom Steyer calls for reparations Tuesday 9:05 PM
- Etika mural added as official PokéStop in Pokémon Go Tuesday 8:35 PM
- Debate devolves into candidates shouting ‘math’ at each other Tuesday 8:19 PM
- Bloomberg rolls his eyes when challenged over sexist comments Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Bloomberg almost accidentally claims he ‘bought’ Congress Tuesday 8:03 PM
- ‘Dick Pound’ and ‘Bisexual Men Exist’ trend together–Twitter goes wild Tuesday 7:54 PM
- James Charles receives backlash over ‘racist’ imitation of Latinx TikTok character, Rosa Tuesday 7:06 PM
- Video shows people harassing elderly Asian man while he collects cans Tuesday 6:23 PM
- Bob Iger steps down as Disney CEO, prompting conspiracy theories Tuesday 5:53 PM
- Bhad Bhabie threatens to kill Skai Jackson amid feud involving their moms Tuesday 4:51 PM
- Body camera shows officer boasting about arresting a 6-year-old Tuesday 3:58 PM
- Singer Duffy opens up about the rape, captivity that led her to stop singing Tuesday 3:51 PM
- Cynthia Nixon embodies feminist rage in viral video Tuesday 3:30 PM
- Samsung factory shuts down amid confirmed coronavirus case Tuesday 3:08 PM
- Bebe Rexha says she won’t be ‘imprisoned’ by bipolar disorder Tuesday 2:33 PM
Taking a cue from his father, Donald Trump Jr. tweeted a head-scratching, racism-fueled mangled metaphor last night, in which he equated a handful of Syrian refugees to poisonous Skittles.
Screengrab via Donald Trump Jr./Twitter
Above the image of the Skittles—of which “three could kill you,” much like “our Syrian refugee problem”—the son of the Republican presidential nominee wrote, “Let’s end the politically correct agenda that doesn’t put America first.”
A few also note that the image has been associated with other racist memes.
But the meme may have gained the most popularity when it was used as a feminist argument a few years ago that men can’t be trusted—which is ironic to say the least.
Screengrab via Imgur
Two years ago, the feminist image was posted on Reddit, with many men decrying it as garbage. Which isn’t much different from what people are saying today about Trump Jr.’s post today.
TRUMP choose, boy!
TRUMP JR cries, reaches trembling hand into gaudy crystal bowl full of skittles
— Saladin Ahmed (@saladinahmed) September 20, 2016
That Trump meme is ridiculous. Skittles only get you killed when combined with Arizona tea and George Zimmerman.
— Alan Mundy (@idontwan2know) September 20, 2016
When reached for comment, a Skittles spokesperson provided the following statement to reporter Seth Abramovitch:
Jessica Machado is the IRL editor of the Daily Dot. Previously, she was an associate editor at Rolling Stone. Her work has been published in the Washington Post, Elle, Vice, Salon, BuzzFeed, Guernica, Bitch, Bust, the Cut, the Awl, the Toast, among others.