- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
- Why Britons are tweeting ‘Little England’ in wake of the U.K. election Friday 3:22 PM
- Net neutrality advocates ask for rehearing on federal court decision Friday 2:29 PM
- Americans are sharing their #PrivateHealthLIFEhacks to help Brits Friday 2:28 PM
- Warren, Sanders, Yang pledge to skip next week’s debate over union dispute Friday 2:12 PM
- How to watch tonight’s Nets vs. Raptors matchup on NBA TV Friday 2:00 PM
- Alt-right comedian Owen Benjamin banned from Instagram over anti-Semitic memes Friday 1:55 PM
- TikTok teens are procrastinating with #FinalsWeek Friday 1:46 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ takes on a prison break in episode 6 Friday 1:30 PM
- Nick Cannon vs. Eminem battle expected to escalate after ‘off-limits’ daughter diss Friday 12:50 PM
- Laura Loomer vehemently denies being author of new Laura Loomer-themed action novel Friday 12:30 PM
- PewDiePie’s poop-inspired game gets banned by Apple Friday 11:29 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ showrunners to adapt ‘Lovecraft’ graphic novel to screen Friday 11:00 AM
- The 50 memes that defined the decade Friday 10:45 AM
- Venmo users are getting harassed with fraudulent payment requests Friday 10:38 AM
Nothing like getting on Twitter to waste some time and see what hot new memes are circulating. Take, for instance, this picture of an older gentleman photobombing a young woman while she takes a selfie. One glance is all it takes to see how highly meme-able it is.
Wowwwewww pic.twitter.com/6ru2jijpis— Dom(Unique) (@tooshortforwhat) May 15, 2018
And Twitter had no problem rising to the challenge.
“Dam ma” pic.twitter.com/zhGS0RL5ii— jess 🙂 (@jessicahurdubei) May 17, 2018
Secure that bag sissssss pic.twitter.com/mLXk0GDEe4— . (@quartsdope) May 16, 2018
Lol 😂 He was checking out the scenery pic.twitter.com/WJoNqaMtOW— DjSwollJoel On Snapchat🇱🇨 (@DjSwollJoel) May 17, 2018
“Sweet white Jesus I guess black lives do matter, Wakanda Forever indeed” pic.twitter.com/oxxOcuIvdB— robert_da_vinci (@robertbett1) May 16, 2018
Now imagine logging on and discovering that latest viral sensation is your father.
You ever check twitter and realize your fucking father has turned into a meme? https://t.co/fcGn7JpdP2— alex (@A_coolestgirl) May 16, 2018
People seemed to find that fact even funnier than the original post.
better not let your mama see this pic.twitter.com/bnvqYrO2bQ— ⌬ I S A I A H (@isaiahlimit) May 17, 2018
Your mom: What the hell is this !!!!!!!!!!— Corey Williams (@JuiceWilliams1) May 17, 2018
Dads response: pic.twitter.com/tFTTvDB6U7
Alex Leavey, 23, was shown the tweet by her sister’s fiancé, and she told BuzzFeed News that she found the whole situation pretty funny.
“I immediately knew it was my dad and was laughing at most of the replies to it,” she said “My dad has a really big personality so for people who know him it was so funny that of all people walking around in Manhattan of all places this picture was taken and he’s in it.”
Leavey also mentioned that her father, Dennis Leavey of Queens, NY, is blind in one eye so he wasn’t actually checking anybody out. She said she asked her father about the photo, and he said has no memory of the moment.
“Looking at the picture, he says he was just looking down!” she said.
Okay I’m gonna answer some questions! Yes he’s blind in one eye, the baby is a boy, and it’s a jerry Garcia tie I got him for Christmas. He knows but mom doesn’t so don’t tell her— alex (@A_coolestgirl) May 17, 2018
She also added another picture of her father, apparently captured in the middle of an air guitar solo.
Just a disclaimer I love my dad very much and I think he’d like you to see his favorite picture of him pic.twitter.com/PD99RUtObO— alex (@A_coolestgirl) May 17, 2018
Alex even interacted a bit with the original poster, and everyone seemed to agree that the situation was pretty amusing.
Unfortunately yes🙄 I am so sorry lol— alex (@A_coolestgirl) May 17, 2018
Although a few people skipped through all the buzz and focused on what was really important.
The real question is where did you get your top— Dylan (@Dylanjaxson) May 17, 2018
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.