- How to stream Liverpool vs. Chelsea Friday 6:45 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Sevilla Friday 6:35 PM
- How to stream Peter ‘Kid Chocolate’ Quillin vs. Alfredo Angulo Friday 5:16 PM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Granada Friday 4:50 PM
- ‘Atlantics’ tells a ghost story steeped with emotion and realism Friday 4:16 PM
- ‘Jojo Rabbit’ is a sweet, singular movie that loses its grip on satire Friday 3:40 PM
- Jordan Peterson is in rehab for Klonopin addiction Friday 3:34 PM
- The cat-worshipping turkey cult video, explained Friday 3:22 PM
- Despite legal threats and drama, the Area 51 desert event is on Friday 3:05 PM
- How to stream Yair Rodriguez vs. Jeremy Stephens on UFC Fight Night Friday 3:00 PM
- Twitter just launched its ‘Hide Replies’ feature Friday 1:59 PM
- How to turn off image metadata before it snitches on you Friday 1:36 PM
- The ‘Breaking Bad’ movie is coming to theaters—for one weekend only Friday 1:04 PM
- Teens recorded, shared videos of mall fight that ended in fatal stabbing Friday 12:44 PM
- How to stream Giants vs. Buccaneers in Week 3 Friday 12:31 PM
Conan O’Brien proves that Russia isn’t as homophobic as you think
Just consider the Russian names of Olympic events.
The Winter Olympics begin Friday in Sochi, Russia, and most of the-pre games conversation has nothing to do with the games. Long-simmering anger over Russia’s treatment of homosexuals—including recent bans on so-called “homosexual propaganda”—has boiled over as the world’s attention zeroes-in on Sochi. Leave it to Conan O’Brien to prove that Russia isn’t as homophobic as we might think.
“I find it odd that there’s so much homophobia there, especially when you learn the names that Russians have for the Olympic events,” O’Brien says. He proceeds to give a quick foreign language lesson, translating the Russian terms for some popular Olympic sports.
“For example: Ski jumping is known as ‘Spreading Your Legs and Bending Forward for Glory.’”
“And finally,” O’Brien concludes, “men’s figure skating is known as men’s figure skating.”
Screengrab via Team Coco/YouTube
Elizabeth Robinson is a tech reporter whose work for the Daily Dot focused on social media trends, smart home technology, and apps. In March 2017, she joined San Antonio Express-News as a digital producer.