- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
- A ‘Black Mirror’ spinoff mini-series is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America Friday 5:56 PM
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Friday 3:27 PM
- QAnon believers link small-town arrest to deep state conspiracy without evidence Friday 1:58 PM
- Instagram photos showing prison conditions spark massive protest Friday 1:33 PM
- ‘Gay rat wedding’ headline sparks amazing new meme Friday 1:03 PM
- ‘I read a gossip piece’ meme mocks Moby’s Instagram post Friday 12:39 PM
- Rotten Tomatoes wants to see your ticket stub to leave a verified review Friday 11:46 AM
- ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ movie delayed to 2020 to fix his look Friday 11:39 AM
- ‘Swamp Thing’ gets off to a promising start, but can it tell a convincing love story? Friday 11:34 AM
- ‘Falling on deaf ears’: ‘Queer Eye’ star sparks conversation about ableist idioms Friday 11:15 AM
- Parents are spending thousands on YouTube camps that teach kids how to be famous Friday 10:43 AM
- In season 2 of ‘She’s Gotta Have It,’ Spike Lee remains unapologetically himself Friday 10:36 AM
- Trump selling Pride shirts is a grotesque insult to the LGBTQ community Friday 10:27 AM
- Logan Paul is being mocked for pulling out of slapping competition Friday 9:57 AM
Are you bode?
It came to Tumblr user loghain in a dream. They saw images of fat felines zoomed and cropped with the word “bodacious” shortened to “bode” plastered across them in all caps.
That dream became a reality shortly after the Nov. 27 post hit Tumblr. In the days following, the #bode tag has been used hundreds of times, with dedicated Tumblrs even popping up solely devoted to celebrating a shockingly body positive and radically pleasant meme still on the rise.
According to Know Your Meme, since posting that vision and accompanying example meme, loghain received thousands of reblogs and tons of attention, to the point that they’re on hiatus.
“Due to an outpouring of attention from the BODE meme that I accidentally created, I’m temporarily swapped URLs!” an archived post proclaims. It’s an ascent that mimics that of renaming fire ants as spicy boys. Both users posted of an errant thought (in this case, a dream) only to watch it take off in ways they’d never expected.
What truly makes bode stand out is just how wholesome it is. People love to show off their pets, and Tumblr has long been a nurturing space when it comes to body positivity and embracing aesthetics that don’t always conform with societal norms.
Sure, it’s just a meme about cute fat cats with the same Impact font and a shortening of a word. But the simplicity of bode is more a distillation of the good Tumblr has done online than a throwaway moment of hilarity. Follow your meme dreams, kids. And let’s end this year with a bode.
A former Weekend Editor at the Daily Dot, April Siese's reporting covers everything from technology and politics to web culture and humor. Her work has been published by Bustle, Uproxx, Death and Taxes, Rolling Stone, the Daily Beast, Thrillist, Atlas Obscura, and others. Siese joined Quartz in December 2016.