- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Galatasaray in the Champions League Today 2:00 AM
- How to stream Atletico Madrid vs. Bayer Leverkusen in the Champions League Monday 11:00 PM
- Russian bots targeting Joe Biden on Instagram Monday 10:04 PM
- TikTok takes down 2 dozen ISIS accounts being used for recruitment Monday 9:38 PM
- British judge refuses to delay WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange’s extradition hearing Monday 8:01 PM
- Indicted Giuliani associate Lev Parnas’ private Instagram filled with Trump connections Monday 7:22 PM
- ‘Bomboclaat’ is the new ‘sco pa tu manaa’ Monday 7:00 PM
- Lori Harvey reportedly trying to walk away from car crash spawns memes Monday 6:00 PM
- In Netflix’s ‘Upstarts,’ Silicon Valley CEOs are the good guys Monday 4:35 PM
- This video of a tree struck by lightning is… relatable? Monday 4:13 PM
- How to watch ‘Keeping Faith’ Monday 3:37 PM
- ‘South Park’ at the center of $500 million streaming war Monday 3:16 PM
- Pizza Hut and Papa John’s employees pranked into talking to each other on the phone Monday 2:34 PM
- Twitter bullies brought Jordan Peterson to tears Monday 2:24 PM
- 25 last-minute Halloween costumes for those with no time to shop Monday 1:30 PM
Some fashions are an instant classic and some are destined to only be loved during their brief on-trend moment. Big-toe heels fit into neither of these categories because they’re hideous.
Unlike peep-toe shoes, which are sort of what big-toe heels sound like they should be if you don’t have the visual to go along with it, these revolting things also twist the toe at a weird angle so it looks like its broken or at least damaged in some way.
Big-toe heels memes
Ewww and ouch. They look gross and uncomfortable. Hard pass. pic.twitter.com/mf7UzUzBlE— L to the D (@ldzad) August 30, 2019
It doesn’t even look intentional, more like there’s a random hole worn in the shoe. Or like the model’s wearing a holey old sock as Twitter user @tenoko1 said.
Looks like you're so broke you've got holes in your socks.— Tenoko1 | Writer of stories (@tenoko1) August 29, 2019
Now I finally have a use for my old socks!!— Kevin Oakes (@kev_oakes) August 29, 2019
Or, you know, this from user @EliotETC: “This is the shoe equivalent of when you stick your thumb through the fly of your pants and pretend it’s a lil penis.”
This is the shoe equivalent of when you stick your thumb through the fly of your pants and pretend it's a lil penis— Eliot (@EliotETC) August 30, 2019
These shoes actually beat Crocs in the ugly game and at least Crocs have comfort going for them.
At least Crocs are comfortable.— Gloria Masterson (@Glowjm) August 30, 2019
Questions were raised about the sobriety of the designers, not to mention the women buying them (apparently the damn things are selling out!?!). Y/Project and Celine are selling versions of the open-toe shoe.
I would drug test this designer.— Truth to Power (@NewYorkerPhil) August 29, 2019
I would drug test the women that buy them— Marian Neijenhuijs (@mctneij) August 30, 2019
Whoever designed this...... Give me his weed guy’s number I’m trying to see something.— aKEMPnameSlickback (@KEMPSAIDWHAT) August 29, 2019
Men, of course, had to turn up and give ladies their opinions on exactly what kind of shoes are sexy or not.
Ugliest thing ive ever seen.— DGB (@dgb42271) August 29, 2019
Ladies a fyi that is far from sexy..
I’m a dude. I don’t care about fashion at all. But those shoes look really stupid. They’re even more impractical than normal shoes of that type. I’m guessing whoever buys them might really love them until grit hits her big toe or goes under it, then they’ll go out for bin day.— Alex Jenkins (@AlJenko98) August 30, 2019
Take from a guy who loves heels, not a good sexy look ladies.— Piedra (@orp2150) August 30, 2019
There should be a throwback trend where women dress like they did in the 40s & 50s. Those were some classy broads.— TechTruthTellerOfficial (@Tech_TruTeller) August 29, 2019
One Twitter user, aptly named Some Random Internet Dude, felt we needed to know about his foot fetish.
As someone with a #footfetish, all I can say is that this is only slightly less horrible on the eyes than Clogs. 🤢— Some Random Internet Dude (@SomeRandomInte4) August 30, 2019
Please ladies, have some respect for yourselves (and your feet) and never wear these horrible "big-toe" heels ... ever.
Beyond the shoe-splaining, however, people are just revolted and confused that these shoes exist.
And just like that I hate big toes.— Reseth (@ResethO) August 30, 2019
Lol...seriously?!! Who’s buying this garbage?— UwannaNic🌺 (@UwannaNic) August 30, 2019
Just, don’t buy these. Or if you do at least tell us why.
Siobhan Ball is a historian, archivist, and journalist. She also writes for Autostraddle and bi.org