- John Bolton becomes the most uncomfortable resistance hero yet 2 Years Ago
- Robert Eggers on the long, hard road to ‘The Lighthouse’ 2 Years Ago
- How to watch the fourth 2020 Democratic debate 2 Years Ago
- Is social media normalizing cultural appropriation? Today 7:45 AM
- Zoë Kravitz will play Catwoman after being told she was too ‘urban’ for ‘Dark Knight Rises’ Today 6:36 AM
- The 5 best Spike Lee movies Today 5:00 AM
- Jesse Eisenberg and Imogen Poots visit suburban hell in ‘Vivarium’ Today 4:30 AM
- Spoiler-free review: HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ leans into the comic’s political side Today 3:00 AM
- #DogsAgainstBrexit highlights the negative impact of Brexit on pets Monday 7:44 PM
- Congress investigating whether vaping manufacturers used social media bots Monday 6:34 PM
- Influencer accuses Lisa Frank of stealing apartment design, says that’s why she’s getting evicted (updated) Monday 6:12 PM
- Brits are sharing their ‘awfully British Amazon reviews’ on Twitter Monday 4:08 PM
- How to stream Mexico vs. Panama in Concacaf Nations League play Monday 3:38 PM
- How to stream U.S. vs. Canada in the Concacaf Nations League tournament Monday 3:21 PM
- Fortnite’s black hole launches conspiracy theories and memes Monday 3:19 PM
The 45-year-old has been holed up in London’s Ecuadorian embassy for years now, mainly as a means to avoid an investigation into rape allegations lodged against him in Sweden―allegations that were recently dropped―and thus avoid a possible extradition to the U.S.
The image in question isn’t actually new, to be clear. It’s been floating around on the internet since at least 2015, the result of an interview between Assange and Democracy Now’s Amy Goodman. But as so often happens with viral content, it took some time to catch fire. Now, plenty of people are giving their takes on how the silver mullet impacts the “radical transparency” advocate’s look.
HAIR STYLIST: I'm not quite sure what you-— Mark Agee (@MarkAgee) May 20, 2017
ASSANGE: I wanna look like the porn director who rats to the cops pic.twitter.com/DO6Shuy8Ma
Julian assange looks like an npc that would betray u in Skyrim pic.twitter.com/Ho5WfrIU0l— sarah hagi (@geekylonglegs) May 20, 2017
Julian Assange looks like the villain in a movie about ninjas that only has white people in it. pic.twitter.com/pNhueA49YQ— Greg Saunders (@waltisfrozen) May 21, 2017
Julian: I'm playing Kiefer Sutherland's role in an ultra-low budget Lost Boys porn parody— Rachel Fisher (@TheRachelFisher) May 20, 2017
Barber: say no more pic.twitter.com/TPgguzfvp1
Assange looks like an unsavoury Lannister footman who's just been left alone with a handsome chestnut foal. pic.twitter.com/JGNgRn5zpN— Paraic O'Donnell (@paraicodonnell) May 21, 2017
HAIRSTYLIST: What you want?— Anna Maltese (@MalteseAnna) May 21, 2017
ASSANGE: My mom's making me a Qui-Gon Jinn costume for Comic Con.
HAIRSTYLIST: Say no more, fam. pic.twitter.com/0mdcXUzzIG
"And finally, Mr. Assange, how much of your time is spent drunkenly purchasing iguanas?" pic.twitter.com/UF08rrdRJR— Louis Virtel (@louisvirtel) May 21, 2017
Julian Assange looks like that man at Games Workshop who shouts at young people when they paint the models the wrong shade of chrome pic.twitter.com/vvnpaJf3t7— Hussein Kesvani (@HKesvani) May 20, 2017
Julian Assange looks like he's starring in the ripoff mobile version of The Witcher pic.twitter.com/m5NQQ41ksw— Johnny F'n Roosevelt (@johnnyroosevelt) May 21, 2017
Legolas has really let himself go. pic.twitter.com/izIP9gqGHJ— Desi (@DesiJed) May 21, 2017
Plenty of people noted Assange’s resemblance to Geralt, the protagonist of a series of books by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski and also a trilogy of popular video games. Specifically, lots of people thought he had a The Witcher III vibe going on.
BREAKING: Julian Assange leaving Ecuadorean Embassy to play Geralt on Netflix upcoming Witcher TV show. pic.twitter.com/ub3oFFN6P5— Joe Clark (@JoeClarkyy) May 21, 2017
Assange looks like he's auditioning to be the worlds' worst Geralt from the Witcher. pic.twitter.com/5CdUQagmXr— NOLAnerdcast (@NOLAnerdcast) May 21, 2017
Assange apparently spent his time in exile creating bad Witcher cosplay. pic.twitter.com/dAVsD1pkrk— Ashley Lynch (@ashleylynch) May 21, 2017
That’s not the only reference to a video game to have spawned from this particular image. Just months ago, Assange himself tweeted out a photo of some street art in Melbourne, Australia depicting him as the character “Big Boss” from Metal Gear Solid V, another famously mulleted hero. He seemed to enjoy it.
How cool is this? Melbourne, Australia. pic.twitter.com/7VyyAt9ieo— Julian Assange (@JulianAssange) February 21, 2017
It’s fair to guess that Twitter will be dragging Assange for the near future, thanks both to his being a highly polarizing and controversial figure and the unabashed goofiness of that picture.
Based on his recent appearance at least, it looks like he’s found somebody at the embassy who knows how to cut hair.
Chris Tognotti is a frequent contributor for the Daily Dot. He’s a news and current events writer based out of Berkeley, California, and a co-host of the podcast Now We Know. While he specializes in domestic politics and opinion writing, he’s also savvy on sports, video games, and film.