- People are demanding the man who filmed the killing of Eric Garner be freed with #FreeRamsey Monday 7:36 PM
- Billie Eilish’s ‘Bad Guy’ unseats ‘Old Town Road’ from the No. 1 spot Monday 6:11 PM
- People think Ghislaine Maxwell was Photoshopped in those In-N-Out photos Monday 5:41 PM
- People are transfixed by a TikTok cat dancing along to ‘Mr. Sandman’ Monday 4:52 PM
- Nazi troll pretending to be antifa in Portland gets outed by internet Monday 4:15 PM
- ‘Dear White People’ season 3 reflects the exhaustion of the times—for better or for worse Monday 3:59 PM
- ‘Seinfeld’ and ‘Friends’ fans feud over which sitcom is better Monday 3:57 PM
- Anti-abortion centers are getting around Google’s misinformation policy Monday 3:45 PM
- Twitter, Facebook remove Chinese accounts spreading Hong Kong misinformation Monday 3:41 PM
- ‘Mindhunter’ season 2 offers no happy endings Monday 3:19 PM
- How to watch ‘The Righteous Gemstones’ online Monday 3:03 PM
- ‘Mindhunter’ season 2 brings out the memes Monday 2:59 PM
- Rumor suggests the X-Men might battle the Avengers on-screen Monday 2:54 PM
- The CDC is investigating cases of severe lung damage linked to vaping Monday 2:08 PM
- How to stream the 49ers vs. Broncos on (preseason) Monday Night Football Monday 1:24 PM
It’s official: Animal Crossing 2019 is set for Nintendo Switch. Nintendo revealed the next installment in the main series, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, during its E3 2019 Nintendo Direct. Except there’s one problem: it’s actually coming out next year. Whoops.
News broke late Tuesday morning when Nintendo revealed nearly two minutes’ worth of gameplay footage for New Horizons. In the game, players travel to a deserted island and slowly build up a village with their new animal friends. It’s ridiculously wholesome, and the series looks as gorgeous as ever thanks to the Nintendo Switch’s graphical capabilities.
Start a new life with the Nook Inc. Deserted Island Getaway Package and enjoy a peaceful existence full of creativity, fun, freedom and charm when #AnimalCrossing: New Horizons for #NintendoSwitch arrives March 20, 2020. pic.twitter.com/4retW0LrSZ— Nintendo of America (@NintendoAmerica) June 11, 2019
Fans immediately lost their shit.
just animal crossing tings x pic.twitter.com/7bnZkMtOtd— ari ✈️ nyc (@beemcrechill) June 11, 2019
you can have YARDS in ANIMAL CROSSING pic.twitter.com/fQfv6ompPQ— sara @amw (@vzwgod) June 11, 2019
But while there was plenty to love in the trailer, the clip ended on a bittersweet note: while the game was announced for a 2019 release last September, it was delayed today to March 20, 2020. Fans will now have to wait another nine months in order to get their hands on the game. And while some are handling the news well, others are struggling to cope.
“Why did they give us so much hope and then just destroy it?” one Redditor bemoaned.
2020?!?? pic.twitter.com/naVaKROQko— *:･ﾟ✧*:･ﾟ✧ (@newhorizonz) June 11, 2019
Animal Crossing fans when they saw that 2020 release date pic.twitter.com/iPHmUZZ1jL— david (@Garchumps) June 11, 2019
Me looking at the new animal crossing pic.twitter.com/l8ADoeqSfI— Akidearest (@akidearest) June 11, 2019
animal crossing really getting pushed back to march 2020 pic.twitter.com/zXDn5qWght— lucas does crack (@jussawhole) June 11, 2019
Don’t forget you still need a Switch to play Animal Crossing if you don’t have one already.
Me getting mad about animal crossing switch coming out in 2020 even though I don’t have a switch pic.twitter.com/BZyb9WfgSK— Officer Nasty (@_OfficerNasty_) June 11, 2019
For other fans, a release date from Nintendo is a pretty promising sign, and they’re happy to celebrate: even if they still have to wait a couple months.
Animal Crossing stans now that there's at least a release date: pic.twitter.com/G0P7ObsAAD— Daikon⭐AX行く (@Daikonquest) June 11, 2019
the first half of 2020 is jam-packed with games already and the only one that matters is Animal Crossing pic.twitter.com/VfNbE2JWNx— kristine steimer (@steimer) June 11, 2019
me arriving to the island of Animal Crossing New Horizons pic.twitter.com/qDums7BTvN— nico xcx (@kawaiii_mermaid) June 11, 2019
All of us after Animal Crossing Switch & Banjo were revealed— Native Gold Clothing (@NTVGLD) June 11, 2019
Animal Crossing: New Horizons wasn’t the only Nintendo game revealed during E3 2019. Highlights also include Luigi’s Mansion 3 and a sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Gaming icons Banjo & Kazooie are also headed to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Nintendo announced today, along with the hero from Dragon Quest.
For more highlights, check out today’s E3 2019 Nintendo Direct.
- ‘Isabelle Facts’ was a wholesome queer meme account—until harassers showed up
- Keanu Reeves surprises E3 with meme-worthy cameo—and we can barely handle it
- ‘Animal Crossing’ is coming to Switch—and the news sparked Tom Nook memes
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Ana Valens is a reporter specializing in online queer communities, marginalized identities, and adult content creation. She is Daily Dot's Trans/Sex columnist. Her work has appeared at Vice, Vox, Truthout, Bitch Media, Kill Screen, Rolling Stone, and the Toast. She lives in Brooklyn, New York, and spends her free time developing queer adult games.