- Ta-Nehisi Coates dismantles Mitch McConnell’s anti-reparations argument Wednesday 7:52 PM
- Whoopi Goldberg stirs debate over her opinion regarding Bella Thorne’s nudes Wednesday 7:04 PM
- Joe Biden really, really hates raves Wednesday 6:02 PM
- RIP to the Twitter geotagging feature that no one actually used Wednesday 5:14 PM
- Facebook contractors reveal the horrors of moderating graphic content Wednesday 4:42 PM
- Prosecutor almost directly quoted Bible in trial against man who helped migrants Wednesday 4:05 PM
- TikTok’s time warp videos get it twisted Wednesday 4:03 PM
- Is a ‘Stranger Things’ and Fortnite crossover event going to happen? Wednesday 3:55 PM
- YouTube reportedly thinking about moving all kids content off the main site Wednesday 3:50 PM
- AOC calls out Democrats for tone-deaf Beyoncé tweet Wednesday 3:15 PM
- Democrat candidates come out as ‘wife guys’ Wednesday 2:45 PM
- Poll of best Batman actors fails to include Adam West, and fans are not happy Wednesday 2:25 PM
- ‘Pose’ producer Janet Mock lands historic Netflix deal Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Teen confesses to killing her best friend on video to get $9 million from a stranger online Wednesday 1:28 PM
- Democrats vote to block transgender troop ban Wednesday 12:17 PM
Anderson Cooper to Trump fan, ‘If he took a dump on his desk, you would defend it’
If you thought Anderson Cooper was frustrated before what turned out to be an extraordinary news week for the Donald Trump administration, check him out on Friday evening.
After news broke that the Russia investigation was reaching inside the White House and that Trump reportedly called former FBI director James Comey a “nut job” to the Russians, the same CNN host that brought us the Kellyanne Conway eye roll unveiled a new viral moment.
This time, while interviewing Trump supporter Jeffrey Lord, Cooper said, “If [Trump] took a dump on his desk, you would defend it.”
That insult caused somebody off-camera to laugh, and it sent Lord into hysterics. It was a hellaciously good burn, and it’s something Twitter could appreciate.
If Donald Trump took a dump on his desk, it would be Jeffrey Lord.
— Dave Pell (@davepell) May 20, 2017
Hard to beat the eyeroll, but Anderson Cooper telling Jeffrey Lord: "If he took a dump on his desk, you would defend it" is a close second.
— Karen DaltonBeninato (@kbeninato) May 20, 2017
Later, Cooper apologized to Lord for being “crude,” and then Cooper took to Twitter.
I regret the crude sentence i spoke earlier tonight and followed it up by apologizing on air. It was unprofessional. I am genuinely sorry.
— Anderson Cooper (@andersoncooper) May 20, 2017
Even still, Cooper has joined the annals of cable news history: He is still one of CNN’s biggest ever shit-stirrers.
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.