- New Loch Ness monster video may just confirm giant eel theory Wednesday 8:04 PM
- Instagram to restrict posts promoting diet culture and plastic surgery Wednesday 6:58 PM
- Apple wants to trademark ‘Slofie,’ its term for slow-motion selfies Wednesday 5:51 PM
- Fortnite leak reveals a Batman crossover event may be happening Wednesday 5:32 PM
- The explosion at a bull semen factory generated a lot of obvious jokes Wednesday 4:33 PM
- Jessica Jaymes, adult film star, dead at 43 Wednesday 4:18 PM
- How to stream Falcons vs. Colts in Week 3 Wednesday 4:05 PM
- Beto O’Rourke says he opposes police use of facial recognition tech Wednesday 4:01 PM
- Lawsuit alleges woman was kidnapped by Lyft driver and gang-raped Wednesday 3:19 PM
- Facebook and Ray-Ban want to replace smartphones with smart glasses Wednesday 3:13 PM
- Sirfetch’d is the gallant new Pokémon winning everyone’s heart Wednesday 3:09 PM
- Danielle Cohn’s dad says she’s not really 15 years old Wednesday 2:14 PM
- Chilling ad by Sandy Hook Promise features kids using school supplies during a shooting Wednesday 1:50 PM
- Don’t fall victim to this Venmo texting scam Wednesday 1:18 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in October 2019 Wednesday 12:55 PM
The Sims 4 is one of this generation’s most successful series, despite EA’s ongoing troubles, and now you can get it absolutely free. The home- and family-building franchise is part of a limited-time promotion, but you’ll get to keep the game forever. Here’s how to get The Sims 4 for free.
How to get The Sims 4 for free
First, you’ll need to download Origin, which is basically EA’s version of Steam. EA keeps all their first-party games there, like Apex Legends, Anthem, and Battlefield 5. Go to the Origin homepage and click the “download” link on the left-hand side of the page. Origin works on both PC and Mac, so no worries there.
Once you’ve done that, go ahead and find the Sims 4 page, where you’ll see the basic version of the game is being “sold” for free. That basic edition doesn’t come with any of the downloadable content, or DLC, like the deluxe edition does, but did we mention it’s free?
- The best texting games to play when you’re bored
- Is the Epic Games Store worth downloading?
- The 10 best gaming podcasts for every kind of gamer
It’s worth noting that if you purchase Origin Access Basic ($4.99 a month or $29.99 per year), you can get the basic version for free. If you purchase Origin Access Premier ($14.99 per month or $99.99 per year), you can get the deluxe edition for free. Here’s the FAQ page that breaks down the differences.
The Sims 4 normally sells for $39.99, so this isn’t a bad time to grab the game if you think you’ll ever give it a shot.
Joseph Knoop is a gaming writer for Daily Dot, a native Chicagoan, and a slave to all things Overwatch. He co-founded the college geek culture outlet ByteBSU, then interned at Game Informer, and now writes for a bunch websites his parents have never heard of.