- Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker doesn’t know how to use a Venn diagram Saturday 5:38 PM
- This college student made a movie trailer to tease her boyfriend, and Twitter can’t get enough Saturday 3:13 PM
- ‘Kappa Delta Crypto’ aims to break stereotypes in five-minute Snapchat episodes Saturday 2:29 PM
- Two iPhone X customers are suing Apple over screen size Saturday 1:18 PM
- Secretary Ryan Zinke is out at the Department of the Interior Saturday 12:03 PM
- How to watch the New Orleans Bowl online for free Saturday 10:25 AM
- Prada’s racist toys pulled from shelves after social media backlash (updated) Saturday 10:22 AM
- How to watch the Camellia Bowl online for free Saturday 10:00 AM
- How to watch the Las Vegas Bowl online for free Saturday 8:30 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Rayo Vallecano online for free Saturday 7:30 AM
- ‘Runaways’ season 2 expands its universe and mysteries Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to watch the Cure Bowl online for free Saturday 7:05 AM
- How to watch Canelo Alvarez vs. Rocky Fielding for free Saturday 7:00 AM
- Politicians who inspired the internet in 2018 Saturday 6:30 AM
- Here are all the college bowl games on TV today Saturday 6:00 AM
The new Starfleet uniforms are more subtle than ‘The Original Series,’ but they’re still color-coded.
Each era of Star Trek introduces new Starfleet uniforms, beginning with the color-coded red, gold, and blue of the Original Series. (The infamous “redshirts” were security personnel, although communications officers like Uhura also wore red.)
1990s Star Trek used colored panels to signal different departments (i.e. maroon for commanding officers like Captain Picard), but Discovery‘s uniforms are harder to parse. Everyone wears a formal-looking navy blue suit with metallic trim.
From the characters in the trailer, we can deduce what those metallic colors mean. Commanding officers like Commander Burnham (Sonequa Martin-Green) wear gold, medical/science officers wear silver, and operations/security officers wear bronze. Captain Georgiou (Michelle Yeoh) also gets gold trim on her shoulders.
There’s one more significant detail: the rank insignia. J.J. Abrams‘ reboot movies were criticized for removing the sleeves from Starfleet minidresses, because a crewmember’s rank was signaled by braid on the sleeve. Without sleeves, female crewmembers no longer had a visible rank. At first glance, the Discovery uniforms do the same thing. It’s hard to tell the difference between a commander and an ensign, which could make things tricky in an emergency situation. But if you look closely, you can see the ranks on their Starfleet badges.
Captain Georgiou has four pips on her badge. Lieutenant Saru (Doug Jones’ alien character) has three. It’s similar to the pips on the collars of The Next Generation uniforms, when the Starfleet badges were used as communicators. Discovery takes place decades before then, when Starfleet was still using flip-top communicators, like Captain Kirk. So, the badges in Discovery have the same purpose as military rank insignias in real life.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.