- Free DVR makes Hulu with Live TV an even sweeter deal 8 Months Ago
- How to watch ‘Black Lightning’ online for free 8 Months Ago
- This ‘scientist’ learned what women find attractive by A/B testing his beard on Tinder Today 5:00 AM
- Laura Ingraham mocks Rep. Ilhan Omar’s accent in audio clip Sunday 5:46 PM
- #ExposeChristianSchools goes viral after Karen Pence and Covington Catholic School uproars Sunday 4:37 PM
- People have started laundering money on Fortnite Sunday 3:03 PM
- Cardi B claps back at Tomi Lahren’s sarcastic tweet Sunday 1:25 PM
- Twitter may have exposed Android users’ private tweets Sunday 12:13 PM
- Leave Me Alurn is the ‘SNL’ product we wish existed in real life Sunday 10:06 AM
- How to watch ‘Charmed’ online for free Sunday 9:00 AM
- How to watch Patriots vs. Chiefs online for free Sunday 8:15 AM
- This is the ‘Star Wars’ VR experience you’re looking for Sunday 8:00 AM
- ‘Salt Fat Acid Heat’ takes viewers on a journey through the four building blocks of a great dish Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to tell the deep web from the dark web Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to watch the Saints vs. Rams online for free Sunday 6:15 AM
A chicken dinner? Improved server latency? Friends who can aim? Who knows what we’ll find in these things.
It may not be Fortnite’s comet or a secret underground superhero base, but PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds is certainly attempting its own spin on the “random things strewn about to cause chaotic theorizing” trend with the addition of gold treasure chests on the unreleased Sanhok map.
The PUBG developers are still working on finalizing the new, smaller map after two closed betas and an eventual release on the public test servers. With the map’s test server release, several golden treasure chests have been scattered about in several random locations.
Users on Reddit are sharing their discoveries and the chests’ seemingly unremarkable locations. One has been discovered near Bootcamp Alpha behind a large gathering of rocks, while another is located northeast of the Ruins in a forest. A third Reddit user claims to have discovered one in the map’s quarry.
Players are unable to interact with the chests and are essentially stumped as to what they could mean. It could be a subtle reference to Fortnite’s loot chests, or perhaps the chests store special items that will be revealed once the map is publicly released. Leave it to PUBG players to joke about other possible treasures, including an improved framerate, anti-cheating software, or a Thanos gun.
Players will likely have to wait until the map is released on the actual PUBG servers to find out what the chests mean, as PUBG Corporation has yet to make a public statement.
The chests follow a particular theme seen in other battle royale games as of late. Fortnite recently debuted its fourth competitive season after teasing players for a month by placing a slowly falling meteor in the sky. After weeks of speculation and additional teasing from developer Epic, the meteor destroyed the Dusty Depot location and spawned a whole suite of superhero-themed Easter eggs and player items and skins, including a crushed house with a dinosaur footprint in the wreckage.
Joseph Knoop is a gaming writer for Daily Dot, a native Chicagoan, and a slave to all things Overwatch. He co-founded the college geek culture outlet ByteBSU, then interned at Game Informer, and now writes for a bunch websites his parents have never heard of.