- Ajit Pai’s net neutrality victory lap comes as his own repeal is under review 2 Years Ago
- Alissa Violet is in Italy—and fans are worried she’ll get coronavirus 2 Years Ago
- Bernie or Barry? Garth Brooks’ Sanders jersey sparks online panic Today 8:42 AM
- Netflix series ‘Followers’ is a visual treat—but lacks a clear narrative Today 6:00 AM
- Influencer got trapped under ice for TikTok clout, ‘came close to dying’ Thursday 7:59 PM
- #BernieBruh puts new spin on ‘Bernie Bro’ label, showcases support among Black voters Thursday 6:58 PM
- Camila María Concepcíon, trans activist and Netflix writer, dies at 28 Thursday 5:46 PM
- Chrissy Teigen calls out fan who made weird comment about her daughter’s feet Thursday 4:57 PM
- TikTok’s ‘clean queen’ says videos are helping her figure out ‘adulting’ Thursday 4:12 PM
- Clearview clients include ICE, Macy’s, Best Buy, leaked data reveals Thursday 4:08 PM
- Women are clamoring to get their photos on a Twitter feed of ‘hot mugshots’ Thursday 4:06 PM
- ‘Love Is Blind’ finale: Somehow, real love emerged from this dystopian setting Thursday 3:57 PM
- Creator of ‘Say So’ TikTok dance appears in Doja Cat music video Thursday 3:51 PM
- Is TikTok’s algorithm actually pretty racist? Thursday 3:45 PM
- Fans freaking out over ‘Say My Name’ horror remix featured in Jordan Peele’s ‘Candyman’ Thursday 3:33 PM
The curious case of Superman’s mustache has captivated fans for months. Grown by Henry Cavill for his role in Mission: Impossible — Fallout, the mustache unintentionally wriggled its way into Justice League after Paramount wouldn’t allow Cavill to shave it off for reshoots and Justice League’s visual effects failed to effectively cover it up. Even after the memes died down, it became a comforting presence on Cavill’s social media accounts. And like all good things, it has now come to an end.
His latest Instagram video is simply captioned “#ShavedButNotForgotten” and features a cleanly shaven Cavill. He doesn’t specify why the mustache is gone (whether it’s for a new role, or that he just got tired of it), but he acknowledges that he’s had it so long he can barely recognize himself without it. And even he can’t help but make a sly Justice League joke.
“I know, it’s hard to recognize me without a king ‘stache,” he said. “Sometimes, I even have trouble recognizing myself. It’s hard for me to admit, but this is not CGI. He’s really gone.”
His mustache tribute is completely cheesy and over-the-top (complete with a montage set to Sarah McLachlan’s “I Will Remember You”), but we wouldn’t have it any other way. After all, Cavill did once write a congratulatory post to himself on the debut of Mission: Impossible — Fallout’s Super Bowl trailer—from the point of view of his mustache.
Dear Reader Due to the lateness of the hour Henry is now actually in bed, it is a school night after all. Being his moustache however, I require no sleep (or food). So I have taken it upon myself to address you, my lovers and my haters to announce this exciting event! The first trailer is here, my glorious debut! Bathe in my bristly glow! Marvel at my contours and yes, be allured you who are facially able, for our time has come. From the pages of history we shall charge forth and rule the world once more and I shall be your king! Also, I hope the Superbowl is exciting. As I have no eyes, I cannot know what state it's in right now but I do hope it's entertaining! Link in bio. #KingStache #MissionImpossible @MissionImpossible
A post shared by Henry Cavill (@henrycavill) on
We’re gonna miss that ‘stache after all.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.