- Distressing TikTok shows woman being sexually harassed Wednesday 7:49 PM
- Dele Alli charged with misconduct for video mocking Asian man over the coronavirus Wednesday 7:18 PM
- Teen says she is suicidal after bullying video goes viral Wednesday 6:01 PM
- Trump supporters claim Reddit is staging a coup against The_Donald Wednesday 5:58 PM
- Conservative parliament member’s teabag photo spills serious tea Wednesday 5:27 PM
- Right-wing conspiracy theorists see coronavirus as a plot against Trump Wednesday 5:25 PM
- Chapo Trap House among leftist channels banned on Twitch for streaming Democratic debate Wednesday 4:20 PM
- Meet Ryker, the world’s worst service dog Wednesday 4:01 PM
- Far-right blogger claims Trump ordered arrest of Julian Assange Wednesday 3:47 PM
- Reddit man wants to tell people he’s been with his girlfriend for one year instead of 6—for an incredibly dumb reason Wednesday 2:18 PM
- John C. Reilly’s son Leo is a TikTok star Wednesday 1:58 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: A friendship sails Wednesday 1:52 PM
- For celebs, Kobe Bryant tattoos are all the rage Wednesday 1:01 PM
- The internet has discovered Jim and Pam Halpert’s daughter—and she’s on TikTok Wednesday 12:32 PM
- YouPorn launches adult-themed TikTok knock-off (updated) Wednesday 12:29 PM
In hindsight, we should have seen this coming.
Netflix recently scrapped its Marvel shows, including the mixed-review-garnering Punisher. The bazooka-mouthed rapper Eminem is unhappy about this and let the world know it late Wednesday, tweeting his displeasure: “Dear @Netflix, regarding your cancellation of The Punisher, you are blowing it!! Sincerely, Marshall.”
DEAR @NETFLIX,— Marshall Mathers (@Eminem) February 21, 2019
REGARDING YOUR CANCELLATION OF THE PUNISHER, YOU ARE BLOWING IT!!
It reminds me of a joke a Facebook friend of mine once made about how people who think Eminem is a great rapper love energy drinks and buy swords at the mall. In other words, are cranky, alienated, and bored American dudes. It’s no surprise then that Eminem, born Marshall Mathers, also enjoys hyper-masculine content full of guns that is also lowkey uncool.
The response to Eminem’s tweet has been largely welcome, but it’s unlikely to make much of a difference. Independently of how well the series did for the streaming giant, Disney’s looming streaming service is poised to siphon off properties from Marvel, which is owned by Disney. The silver lining is that The Punisher could very well return in a few years on Disney’s rival subscription service. Season 2 received mixed reviews, including from the Dot’s Gavia Baker-Whitelaw, who wrote:
With Daredevil, Iron Fist and Luke Cage all canceled, this is surely Punisher’s final season. I’m glad that Jon Bernthal will soon be free to do something more interesting, but it’s still disappointing that Punisher didn’t live up to his talents. Bernthal was the highlight of Daredevil season 2 and is consistently the best part of his solo show, where the supporting subplots often feel like a waste of time.
For Eminem’s part, the American icon is celebrating the 20-year anniversary of The Slim Shady LP this month. Yes, that makes me feel old, too.
Ramon Ramirez is the news director, and formerly the Dot's entertainment editor and evening editor. His work has appeared in the Washington Post, Grantland, Washington City Paper, Austin American-Statesman, and Austin Monitor.