- Anti-Trump bros Ed and Brian Krassenstein get kicked off Twitter Thursday 8:07 PM
- Amazon is trying to solve pushback on facial recognition software with a web form Thursday 6:56 PM
- T.I. says Nipsey Hussle’s death was ‘like losing Iron Man’ Thursday 6:32 PM
- Facebook banned billions of fake accounts in the first 3 months of this year Thursday 5:49 PM
- Twitch streamer gets banned for drunkenly passing out during broadcast Thursday 5:00 PM
- WikiLeaks’ Julian Assange indicted under Espionage Act Thursday 4:39 PM
- These doctored videos want to make you think Nancy Pelosi is always drunk Thursday 4:02 PM
- A robot could soon be delivering your packages from a self-driving car Thursday 3:29 PM
- Bipartisan anti-robocall bill overwhelmingly passes Senate Thursday 2:40 PM
- Deepfake-style videos can now be made with just a single image Thursday 1:57 PM
- The Lonely Island’s ‘Bash Brothers’ is what Netflix should be doing with short-form comedy Thursday 1:55 PM
- ‘Green dress lady’ proves green screen memes are still going strong Thursday 1:45 PM
- ‘Bowling alley strike screen’ memes are bizarre and wonderful Thursday 12:40 PM
- TikTok star Mohit Mor shot and killed Thursday 12:00 PM
- Stephen A. Smith is baby Thursday 11:43 AM
Featureflash Photo Agency/Shutterstock.com (Licensed)
In hindsight, we should have seen this coming.
Netflix recently scrapped its Marvel shows, including the mixed-review-garnering Punisher. The bazooka-mouthed rapper Eminem is unhappy about this and let the world know it late Wednesday, tweeting his displeasure: “Dear @Netflix, regarding your cancellation of The Punisher, you are blowing it!! Sincerely, Marshall.”
REGARDING YOUR CANCELLATION OF THE PUNISHER, YOU ARE BLOWING IT!!
— Marshall Mathers (@Eminem) February 21, 2019
It reminds me of a joke a Facebook friend of mine once made about how people who think Eminem is a great rapper love energy drinks and buy swords at the mall. In other words, are cranky, alienated, and bored American dudes. It’s no surprise then that Eminem, born Marshall Mathers, also enjoys hyper-masculine content full of guns that is also lowkey uncool.
The response to Eminem’s tweet has been largely welcome, but it’s unlikely to make much of a difference. Independently of how well the series did for the streaming giant, Disney’s looming streaming service is poised to siphon off properties from Marvel, which is owned by Disney. The silver lining is that The Punisher could very well return in a few years on Disney’s rival subscription service. Season 2 received mixed reviews, including from the Dot’s Gavia Baker-Whitelaw, who wrote:
With Daredevil, Iron Fist and Luke Cage all canceled, this is surely Punisher’s final season. I’m glad that Jon Bernthal will soon be free to do something more interesting, but it’s still disappointing that Punisher didn’t live up to his talents. Bernthal was the highlight of Daredevil season 2 and is consistently the best part of his solo show, where the supporting subplots often feel like a waste of time.
For Eminem’s part, the American icon is celebrating the 20-year anniversary of The Slim Shady LP this month. Yes, that makes me feel old, too.
Ramon Ramirez is the news director, and formerly the Dot's entertainment editor and evening editor. His work has appeared in the Washington Post, Grantland, Washington City Paper, Austin American-Statesman, and Austin Monitor.