- How to make calls on Google Home 1 Year Ago
- We now probably know the final runtime for ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Monday 11:06 PM
- Cardi B says she drugged, robbed men in her past on Instagram Live Monday 8:03 PM
- Twitter thread roasts bathtub tray ads for women Monday 7:21 PM
- Nintendo set to release two new models of the Switch—possibly in 2019 Monday 6:45 PM
- Viral cat video ‘Dear Kitten’ finds new life in TikTok challenge Monday 5:30 PM
- Here’s every show that was announced at the Apple TV+ kickoff Monday 3:53 PM
- ‘Shazam!’ embraces the spectacle and heart of the superhero genre Monday 3:45 PM
- How to mute Twitter’s suggested tweets on your timeline Monday 3:02 PM
- What you need to know about Apple’s new streaming service Monday 2:32 PM
- Text-message fanfiction is taking over Instagram Monday 1:54 PM
- Your Asus computer might have a secret backdoor Monday 1:06 PM
- Trump is already fundraising off the Mueller report—even though no one’s seen it Monday 1:01 PM
- Michael Avenatti charged with trying to extort $20 million from Nike Monday 12:51 PM
- Logan Paul says being a YouTuber is ‘wack’ Monday 12:14 PM
‘Avengers: Infinity War’ director reveals the surprising 2 main characters
This is not what fans expected.
The last three Avengers team-ups put Iron Man and Captain America in the foreground, but Infinity War will go in a new direction. Speaking to Fandango, co-director Joe Russo revealed that Thor is the lead hero, driving the main story alongside Thanos.
This balances out Age of Ultron, where Thor had a pretty minor role compared to the other Avengers. It also shakes up expectations for Infinity War, where we assumed Thor was relegated to a side story with the Guardians of the Galaxy.
“I think Thanos has an incredible amount of screen time,” said Russo, when asked which characters have a central role in Infinity War. “I think you’ll find that Thor has a really interesting arc in the film. He hasn’t been at the forefront of other Avengers movies but he certainly has a very important role in this film. So I’ll say, Thanos and Thor.” While previous Avengers movies focused on Earth, it makes sense for Asgard to take center stage against an interplanetary threat like Thanos.
Russo explained that Infinity War‘s two-part structure made it easier to balance the enormous cast. Some characters get a lot of screentime in this movie, while others will have bigger roles in Avengers 4. So if you’re worried about Hawkeye’s mysterious absence, you may just have to wait for the next movie.
The Russo Brothers have been talking up Thanos’ role, and this interview is a reminder that we don’t actually know much about Infinity War. Most fans wouldn’t have guessed that Thor is the main character. Similarly, you wouldn’t know from the trailer that Thanos is the point-of-view character.
“We wanted to tell a story that they weren’t expecting,” said Russo. “The story is told from the point of view of a villain, which I think is also really unique and risky for a commercial film that will surprise the audience. ”
This interview explains the surprising order of billing on the Infinity War poster. As a rule, actors are billed in order of importance in the movie, with fame as an additional factor. So Tom Holland appeared first in Spider-Man: Homecoming, but Gwyneth Paltrow (who is very famous and has a good agent) was billed above Zendaya in the credits, even though Paltrow only had a cameo role. People have been analyzing the Infinity War poster for similar clues, noting that Chris Hemsworth received second billing after Robert Downey Jr. Since Downey always comes first due to his star power, Hemsworth could have the most significant screentime in the movie.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.