- Majority of threats made since El Paso and Dayton shootings have been made online Thursday 8:00 PM
- Miley Cyrus tweets about cheating allegations and penis cake drama Thursday 6:32 PM
- ‘The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance’ dazzles with a timely tale Thursday 6:00 PM
- The DOJ emailed a white nationalist blog post to immigration judges Thursday 5:31 PM
- The Amazon rainforest is on fire–and people are using memes to cope Thursday 4:11 PM
- Microsoft contractors listened in on Xbox users Thursday 2:15 PM
- Anti-vaxxer assaults pro-vaccine lawmaker on Facebook Live (updated) Thursday 2:15 PM
- Oreos licked by singer Lewis Capaldi are being auctioned off on eBay Thursday 1:54 PM
- Zach Braff predicted Sean Spicer would be on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 2 years ago Thursday 1:38 PM
- NYPD sergeant who watched Eric Garner die punished with lost vacation days Thursday 1:27 PM
- Brie Larson haters have a meltdown over a joke about Thor’s hammer Thursday 1:26 PM
- This comedian attempted to make fun of women on Twitter—and it did not go over well Thursday 1:04 PM
- Logan Paul wants to help the Amazon rainforest Thursday 12:36 PM
- Nutaku announces redesign and filters for LGBTQ porn games (updated) Thursday 12:25 PM
- This video of dozens of inflatable mattresses taking off in the wind is perfect Thursday 12:20 PM
However, when typing out the tweet, the president misspelled “smoking” twice, writing “smocking” instead each time.
“Democrats can’t find a Smocking Gun tying the Trump campaign to Russia after James Comey’s testimony. No Smocking Gun…No Collusion.” @FoxNews That’s because there was NO COLLUSION. So now the Dems go to a simple private transaction, wrongly call it a campaign contribution,…” Trump wrote in a series of tweets on Monday morning. “….which it was not (but even if it was, it is only a CIVIL CASE, like Obama’s – but it was done correctly by a lawyer and there would not even be a fine. Lawyer’s liability if he made a mistake, not me). Cohen just trying to get his sentence reduced. WITCH HUNT!”
However, the “smocking” typo quickly caught the eyes of people on Twitter, for not just being the latest time the president has used “smocking” when he meant “smoking,” but also because “smocking” is an embroidery technique.
Soon #SmockingGun was trending on Twitter, and people were cracking jokes.
Maybe they can't find a "Smocking" Gun, but the SMOKING Gun (Conspiracy to Violate Campaign Finance Laws for A) causing illegal corporate contributions & B) excessive personal campaign contributions) is gonna be a bitch!🔫 #sMockingTheBestWords 😜👍 https://t.co/09pfI8SNbe— Mark Hamill (@HamillHimself) December 10, 2018
I used my #SmockingGun to put the final touches on my covfefe this morning.— RJ (@rjthinks) December 10, 2018
Songs on Trump's playlist today:— Warren Throckmorton (@wthrockmorton) December 10, 2018
Smock On The Water
Smock From A Distant Fire
Smock Gets In Your Eyes
Smockin' In The Boy's Room
Smock and Mirrors
and Smocky Robinson's Greatest Hits. #SmockingGun
No Smocking, please. 🔥🔥🔥— Monica Lewinsky (@MonicaLewinsky) December 10, 2018
In his tweet, Trump claimed his payment of hush money to women was not a campaign finance violation and went after former President Barack Obama, whose campaign in 2008 failed to report certain contributions to the FEC.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).