- Secretary Ryan Zinke is out at the Department of the Interior 6 Months Ago
- How to watch the New Orleans Bowl online for free Today 10:25 AM
- Prada’s racist toys pulled from shelves after social media backlash (updated) Today 10:22 AM
- How to watch the Camellia Bowl online for free Today 10:00 AM
- How to watch the Las Vegas Bowl online for free Today 8:30 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Rayo Vallecano online for free Today 7:30 AM
- ‘Runaways’ season 2 expands its universe and mysteries Today 7:30 AM
- How to watch the Cure Bowl online for free Today 7:05 AM
- How to watch Canelo Alvarez vs. Rocky Fielding for free Today 7:00 AM
- Politicians who inspired the internet in 2018 Today 6:30 AM
- Here are all the college bowl games on TV today Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch the New Mexico Bowl online for free Today 5:15 AM
- How to watch the Celebration Bowl online for free Today 4:55 AM
- How to watch Borussia Dortmund vs. Werder Bremen online for free Today 3:00 AM
- Report: DACA recipients increasingly being denied federal housing loans Friday 3:54 PM
Trump called the meeting the start of ‘a new history’ between the two countries.
President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un‘s historic meeting on Tuesday resulted in a concession from the United States and an initial agreement to work toward the goal of denuclearizing North Korea’s missile arsenal.
After signing the agreement, the president said it was time to “write a new chapter” between the United States and North Korea.
“I want to thank Chairman Kim for taking the first bold step toward a bright new future for his people,” Trump said. “Our unprecedented meeting–the first between an American president and a leader of North Korea–proves that real change is indeed possible… We’re prepared to start a new history and we’re ready to write a new chapter between our nations.”
The agreement says the United States will provide “security guarantees” to North Korea and, in exchange, the country will commit to “work toward complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.” The United States will also suspend joint military exercises with South Korea, the New York Times reports.
Trump said the agreement will begin “as soon as possible.” The two countries have also committed to having follow-up negotiations, according to the agreement.
Here’s the full joint statement released by the White House.
The president said the denuclearization would be “verified” by “combinations” of officials from the United States and other countries.
- Trump: ‘I don’t think I have to prepare very much’ for North Korea meeting
- White House gift shop crashes amid scramble to buy commemorative North Korea coins
- Dennis Rodman cries on CNN during North Korea meeting
Correction 9:45am CT, June 13: This article has been updated to remove a typographical error in the North Korean leader’s name.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).