- Who is Corn Pop? Here are all the theories about the gang leader from Joe Biden’s past Sunday 4:37 PM
- Fresh sexual misconduct allegations against Kavanaugh spur calls for impeachment Sunday 3:28 PM
- Mike Pence says a triple crown winning racehorse bit him Sunday 12:51 PM
- Disney CEO Bob Iger leaves Apple board amid streaming wars Sunday 12:01 PM
- Influencer Destiny Marquez faces backlash for berating Forever 21 employee Sunday 10:32 AM
- Chelsea Handler tackles system racism in ‘Hello Privilege. It’s Me, Chelsea’ Sunday 9:18 AM
- Gun control proposal: Trump, lawmakers considering background check-conducting app Sunday 9:05 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Jets on Monday Night Football Sunday 7:00 AM
- What are anons? Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Eagles vs. Falcons on Sunday Night Football Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 4 Sunday 5:00 AM
- How to stream WWE’s Clash of Champions 2019 Saturday 8:00 PM
- How ‘F*ck off Scotland’ became a Scottish rallying cry amid Brexit madness Saturday 6:28 PM
- A Missouri officer resigned after his Islamophobic Facebook posts surfaced Saturday 5:08 PM
- Adding ‘Triggered’ to stock photos of white men creates Netflix comedy special thumbnails Saturday 3:10 PM
President Donald Trump on Monday had a 13-second handshake with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un for a historic meeting in Singapore, BuzzFeed News reported. Meanwhile, former NBA player Dennis Rodman cried while wearing a “Make America Great Again” hat on CNN, cementing this day as a pinnacle of the weird political timeline we inhabit.
Rodman told the news network from Singapore he had always been a supporter of North Korea, even while he was threatened for defending the country. He also said former President Barack Obama never gave him “the time of day” on the subject.
“It’s a great day. I am here to see it. I’m so happy,” Rodman said, becoming emotional throughout the interview.
"Today is a great day," former NBA star Dennis Rodman says in an emotional interview in which he describes his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un https://t.co/atvQwe7jo0 pic.twitter.com/dEgQf3kBtE— CNN (@CNN) June 12, 2018
Rodman also plugged Potcoin, the marijuana-centered cryptocurrency that sponsored his trip.
I’m not sure it’s possible to capture an entire era in one image, but Dennis Rodman running a cryptocurrency grift on live TV from the North Korea summit while wearing a MAGA is a serious nominee https://t.co/Qs7aQ4w6n8— Benjy Sarlin (@BenjySarlin) June 12, 2018
I feel like Dennis Rodman crying on CNN is one of those things someone from the future will be sent back in time to stop— Shoshana Weissmann, Sloth Committee Chair (@senatorshoshana) June 12, 2018
On Twitter, conservatives celebrated Trump’s meeting with Kim—and Rodman’s heartfelt support of it.
Trump and Kim are expected to discuss a contingent path to end to North Korea’s nuclear weapons program. Although the president has admitted it’s possible the plan “won’t work out,” on Monday he tweeted there was “excitement in the air” surrounding the meeting.
Over the weekend, Trump distanced himself from E.U. leaders by backing out of the G7 summit to meet with Kim. The tension between Trump and Western European leaders is so great that even top-level officials were reposting memes about it.
Kris Seavers is the IRL editor for the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.