- How to watch Pacquiao vs. Broner online Today 9:00 AM
- What does IMO mean? Today 8:00 AM
- ‘Trigger Warning with Killer Mike’ digs into America’s wounds with a wink and a black flag Today 7:00 AM
- How to watch Tigres vs. Cruz Azul online for free Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Arsenal vs. Chelsea online for free Today 5:21 AM
- How to watch Borussia Dortmund vs. RB Leipzig online for free Today 5:07 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Sevilla online for free Today 4:48 AM
- Netflix says ‘Fortnite’ is more competition than HBO Friday 8:25 PM
- This computer-generated Insta model looks staggeringly real Friday 7:15 PM
- Netflix is bringing back ‘Unsolved Mysteries’ with ‘Stranger Things’ producer Friday 6:42 PM
- Facebook is creating a meme feature to bring back the teens Friday 4:13 PM
- A hitman’s smartwatch helped send him to prison for life Friday 4:05 PM
- Privacy group files complaints against Netlifx, Spotify for GDPR violations Friday 3:02 PM
- Bikini Kill reunion show sale proves the internet is still hell for live music fans Friday 2:55 PM
- Teen’s photo of Nazi-themed school-dance invite goes viral Friday 2:31 PM
Dennis Rodman crying on CNN while Trump meets with Kim Jong-un is quintessential 2018
President Donald Trump on Monday had a 13-second handshake with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un for a historic meeting in Singapore, BuzzFeed News reported. Meanwhile, former NBA player Dennis Rodman cried while wearing a “Make America Great Again” hat on CNN, cementing this day as a pinnacle of the weird political timeline we inhabit.
Rodman told the news network from Singapore he had always been a supporter of North Korea, even while he was threatened for defending the country. He also said former President Barack Obama never gave him “the time of day” on the subject.
“It’s a great day. I am here to see it. I’m so happy,” Rodman said, becoming emotional throughout the interview.
"Today is a great day," former NBA star Dennis Rodman says in an emotional interview in which he describes his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un https://t.co/atvQwe7jo0 pic.twitter.com/dEgQf3kBtE
— CNN (@CNN) June 12, 2018
Rodman also plugged Potcoin, the marijuana-centered cryptocurrency that sponsored his trip.
I’m not sure it’s possible to capture an entire era in one image, but Dennis Rodman running a cryptocurrency grift on live TV from the North Korea summit while wearing a MAGA is a serious nominee https://t.co/Qs7aQ4w6n8
— Benjy Sarlin (@BenjySarlin) June 12, 2018
I feel like Dennis Rodman crying on CNN is one of those things someone from the future will be sent back in time to stop
— Shoshana Weissmann, Sloth Committee Chair (@senatorshoshana) June 12, 2018
On Twitter, conservatives celebrated Trump’s meeting with Kim—and Rodman’s heartfelt support of it.
Trump and Kim are expected to discuss a contingent path to end to North Korea’s nuclear weapons program. Although the president has admitted it’s possible the plan “won’t work out,” on Monday he tweeted there was “excitement in the air” surrounding the meeting.
Over the weekend, Trump distanced himself from E.U. leaders by backing out of the G7 summit to meet with Kim. The tension between Trump and Western European leaders is so great that even top-level officials were reposting memes about it.
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.