- This biotech company’s logo is almost straight out of Resident Evil 9 Months Ago
- Trump says mass deportations to start next week Today 12:28 PM
- GOP pollster bothered by broken elevator in Austria blames socialism Today 10:50 AM
- YouTuber renames small town ‘Gay Hell’ to defy Trump Pride policy Today 10:43 AM
- John Cusack blames Twitter bot for anti-Semitic tweet Today 10:18 AM
- YouTube rapper who glorifies pimping has been charged with human trafficking Today 10:09 AM
- Amy Klobuchar lists net neutrality as part of her 100-day plan for presidency Today 8:54 AM
- Reddit just banned the NBA Streams subreddit Today 8:17 AM
- How to watch ‘Drunk History’ for free Today 8:00 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Unit 42’ soars on the chemistry of its unlikely lead partners Today 7:30 AM
- How to watch ‘Good Trouble’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- It’s time for Pete Buttigieg to claim his status as Short King Today 6:30 AM
- The best foreign-language TV shows on Netflix Today 6:00 AM
- Hasan Minhaj explains why your internet sucks in ‘Patriot Act’ episode, puts it on DVD Monday 8:41 PM
- Hackers got control of Dylan Sprouse’s Twitter account, posted offensive content Monday 7:38 PM
Trump goes full conspiracy theorist, blames Kavanaugh protestors on George Soros
North Charleston/Flickr (CC-BY-SA)
It was the first time Trump mentioned George Soros in a tweet.
President Donald Trump attacked protesters who are critical of Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh on Friday morning, calling them “paid professionals” and—for the first time—tweeting about liberal mega-donor George Soros.
The remarks are in reference to protesters who have confronted senators ahead of a vote to appoint Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court.
“The very rude elevator screamers are paid professionals only looking to make Senators look bad,” the president wrote. “Don’t fall for it! Also, look at all of the professionally made identical signs. Paid for by Soros and others. These are not signs made in the basement from love! #Troublemakers.”
The very rude elevator screamers are paid professionals only looking to make Senators look bad. Don’t fall for it! Also, look at all of the professionally made identical signs. Paid for by Soros and others. These are not signs made in the basement from love! #Troublemakers
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 5, 2018
The reference to “elevator screamers” comes after Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) was confronted by women who said they were survivors of sexual assault in an elevator shortly before a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing last week. Other senators have also been confronted by survivors. Other protesters have been arrested in Washington D.C.
The tweet on Friday was also the first time the president has tweeted about Soros, a frequent target of ire among conservatives. Sen. David Perdue (R-Ga.) also described the protesters as “paid activists” when speaking on Laura Ingraham’s radio show, according to the Hill.
There is no evidence that the anti-Kavanaugh protesters are being paid by Soros.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).