- Review: Crackdown 3 is not a world worth saving 1 Year Ago
- Scathing privacy report calls Facebook a ‘digital gangster’ 1 Year Ago
- 21 Savage goes deep on 21 Savage memes 1 Year Ago
- Everyone is debating the number of towels you should own 1 Year Ago
- How to unlock the Fortnite Prisoner stage 4 skin 1 Year Ago
- Julian Assange reportedly nominated for Nobel Peace Prize 1 Year Ago
- Major U.S. airlines will soon implement nonbinary gender options 1 Year Ago
- Trump calls 25th Amendment talk a ‘coup’ attempt Today 8:42 AM
- The Hatebook: Inside Facebook’s thriving subculture of racism Today 7:29 AM
- Anthony Hamilton’s national anthem at All-Star game sparks MVP meme Today 7:02 AM
- ‘Subtle Asian Dating’ is the un-Tinder we all need right now Today 5:00 AM
- Man delighted to find 30-year-old computer still works Sunday 5:32 PM
- Report: Google used shell companies to build data centers, obtain tax breaks Sunday 3:38 PM
- Grammy winner Kacey Musgraves spoiled ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars 4’ Sunday 2:24 PM
- Conservatives feel vindicated by new developments in Jussie Smollett case (updated) Sunday 12:19 PM
Trump reportedly ‘joked’ that Pence wants to ‘hang’ all LGBTQ people
Photos via Michael Vadon/Flickr (CC-BY)
In a New Yorker profile, sources tell the magazine of several instances where Trump has mocked Pence’s ultra-conservative nature, including his views on social issues such as abortion and LGBTQ rights.
In once instance, where Trump and Pence met with a legal scholar, the president “belittled” Pence over his desire to overturn Roe v. Wade, the landmark Supreme Court case that essentially makes it legal for women to have abortions. When the scholar pointed out that if the case was overturned, states would just legalize abortion on their own, Trump reportedly went in on Pence.
“You see? You’ve wasted all this time and energy on it, and it’s not going to end abortion anyway,” Trump told Pence, according to the magazine.
When the conversation turned to gay rights, Trump also criticized Pence—whose record on equality issues is criticized heavily by advocacy groups.
“Don’t ask that guy—he wants to hang them all!” Trump reportedly joked.
Trump also apparently likes to keep Pence in check and make sure he knows “who’s boss.” One of those ways is apparently mocking the vice president’s hard-line religious beliefs. One staff member on Trump’s campaign told the New Yorker that after people met with the vice president, Trump asked them, “Did Mike make you pray?”
You can read all of the New Yorker profile on the vice president here.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).