- Is that Rosa Parks in random Twitter user’s baby photo? Tuesday 8:24 PM
- Syracuse students say white supremacist manifesto was AirDropped to them Tuesday 7:44 PM
- Florida woman gets prison time for throwing slushie at Matt Gaetz Tuesday 6:28 PM
- Marie Kondo’s online store slammed for selling clutter-worthy products Tuesday 5:34 PM
- People are rallying against toxic masculinity on International Men’s Day Tuesday 4:42 PM
- Reddit wants to stop its pro-Trump forum from outing the alleged whistleblower Tuesday 3:38 PM
- White woman calls cops on man who said he was visiting aunt with his kids Tuesday 3:12 PM
- ‘The Stranded’ is a flawed yet addictive blend of ‘Degrassi’ and ‘Lost’ Tuesday 2:45 PM
- The ‘gonna tell my kids’ meme is revisionist history at its most absurd Tuesday 2:24 PM
- Redditor asks former burglars to give home security tips Tuesday 2:18 PM
- Facebook-Breitbart partnership under fire in wake of new Stephen Miller emails Tuesday 2:00 PM
- John Krasinski under fire after praising the CIA Tuesday 1:46 PM
- Conservatives melt down after Chick-fil-A says it will stop donating to anti-LGBTQ orgs Tuesday 1:33 PM
- ‘Honey Boy’ is an experimental look at channeling trauma Tuesday 1:28 PM
- Disney+ now allows users to resume and restart content Tuesday 11:42 AM
On Thursday, a Twitter account shared a video of the new lawmaker dancing, calling her a “clueless nitwit” and incorrectly saying the video was from high school.
The video, where Ocasio-Cortez and other students recreate the dance scene in The Breakfast Club, is actually from Boston University’s Howard Thurman Center, where she went to college.
Soon enough people found the video (and apparently loved it). Now there is even a Twitter account that posts her dancing moves over different songs.
In response, Ocasio-Cortez tweeted out a video of herself dancing to War by Edwin Starr outside her congressional office.
“I hear the GOP thinks women dancing are scandalous. Wait till they find out Congresswomen dance too!,” she wrote on Twitter, adding a dancing woman emoji. “Have a great weekend everyone :)”
I hear the GOP thinks women dancing are scandalous.— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) January 4, 2019
Wait till they find out Congresswomen dance too! 💃🏽
Have a great weekend everyone 🙂 pic.twitter.com/9y6ALOw4F6
Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.), who was also sworn into Congress on Thursday, enjoyed the clap back.
If we can't dance it's not our revolution. 💁🏽♀️ https://t.co/SZGWn1hcLw— Ilhan Omar (@IlhanMN) January 4, 2019
The New York lawmaker’s response to the attempted smear was also taken well by people online.
get this woman a shield https://t.co/F0uro8D8Zp— Oliver Willis (@owillis) January 4, 2019
I LOVE this congresswoman. ❤️ https://t.co/rbNpom7pOc— Q. Allan Brocka (@allanbrocka) January 4, 2019
What’s the opposite of getting ratio’d? Cause AOC might be breaking the internet. https://t.co/NibHXfYJm6— Michael Schottey (@Schottey) January 4, 2019
She is my favorite human. https://t.co/WQ6cpN7UWK— Casey Jabbour (@caseyjabbour) January 4, 2019
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).