- How to stream Barcelona vs. Real Betis Saturday 11:31 PM
- How to stream Tottenham Hotspur vs. Newcastle Saturday 11:21 PM
- All of the ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Easter eggs discovered by fans Saturday 6:52 PM
- Every big announcement made at D23 about Disney+ Saturday 6:33 PM
- The best haunted house movies to watch online in 2019 Saturday 4:13 PM
- Andy Ngo seen laughing as Patriot Prayer members plan an attack in newly emerged video Saturday 3:59 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Bournemouth Saturday 3:25 PM
- Catholic priest allegedly spent church money on Grindr hookups Saturday 3:04 PM
- Nicolás Maduro’s English Twitter account was suspended with no public explanation Saturday 2:06 PM
- Man claims ex-girlfriend killed his dog after he broke up with her Saturday 1:02 PM
- What are BitTorrent downloads and how do they work? Saturday 12:58 PM
- ICE cuts the cord on real immigrant hotline after being featured in ‘Orange Is the New Black’ (updated) Saturday 10:49 AM
- The 10 best music podcasts for artist interviews and criticism in 2019 Saturday 10:41 AM
- How a socialist Twitch streamer landed in a feud with Dan Crenshaw Saturday 10:07 AM
- How to prepare for your fantasy football draft (and season) Saturday 9:00 AM
Right-wing trolls are sharing a college video of Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) dancing as part of a cheesy Breakfast Club parody in their latest and weirdest bid to smear the Democratic Socialist congresswoman they love to hate.
The video appeared on Thursday, posted by an apparent QAnon conspiracy theorist and shared by dozens of conservatives accounts.
Here is America’s favorite commie know-it-all acting like the clueless nitwit she is...— AnonymousQ (@AnonymousQ1776) January 2, 2019
...High School video of “Sandy” Ocasio-Cortezpic.twitter.com/s723Vga9zF
The original video, posted publicly to YouTube in 2010, features Boston University students recreating the dance scene from iconic 1985 movie The Breakfast Club.
Almost immediately, there was backlash to the tweet for branding the video as proof that Ocasio-Cortez was a “clueless nitwit.” Confused Twitter users were unsure about what exactly the problem was.
Nothing more scandalous than a young girl having fun and acting out the iconic dance scene from The Breakfast Club.— Laura the Human 🤦🏻♀️ (@SpankYouSilly) January 3, 2019
Oh my goodness. A high school student dancing and singing? Who do you think this is going to offend, the pastor in Footloose?— Fluent in Sarcasm (@jokork9) January 3, 2019
Oh no... young people and their friends having fun...— Tim Pool (@Timcast) January 3, 2019
I keep seeing this video shared around as if its somehow bad for her.
This is a fun and endearing video that makes Cortez relatable https://t.co/6m5y6qPJIp
Many people loved it.
I didn't it was possible to like her any more than I already do until I saw this video.— TMM (@idiolekt) January 3, 2019
Wow. She’s gorgeous.— LiA (@LibsInAmerica) January 3, 2019
One user pointed out that the video had, in fact, been edited to swap out the original music, “Lisztomania” by Phoenix, for some “porny drums.”
one of the best details of that guy trying to dunk on Ocasio-Cortez doing wholesome stuff is that he reset it to like, porny drums. the original video has her dancing to lisztomania— tom schwartz’s transition lenses (@rachelmillman) January 3, 2019
also, it’s from when she was in college. it says “Boston College” on her shirt and everyone is dumb as shit— tom schwartz’s transition lenses (@rachelmillman) January 3, 2019
it is a BREAKFAST CLUB PARODY!!! https://t.co/NvuhceGG1l— tom schwartz’s transition lenses (@rachelmillman) January 3, 2019
This latest attack on Ocasio-Cortez builds on the momentum of a long-running narrative, which re-emerged in recent days across fringe far-right media outlets after a Gateway Pundit “exclusive” hit piece.
Reminiscent of its smear job on Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh’s accuser Christine Blasey Ford in September, the website ran photos from Ocasio-Cortez’s high school yearbook on Wednesday in a bid to paint her as a member of the wealthy “elite.”
Conservatives have become obsessed with Ocasio-Cortez’s outspoken Democratic Socialism, stories of her working class origins in the Bronx, and her having moved to wealthy New York suburb Yorktown Heights in her teens.
If it all seems a little desperate, that’s because it is. In fact, it looks like in raising the profile of the video, the trolls have won the New York congresswoman more fans.
David Gilmour is a reporter who specializes in national politics, internet culture, and technology. He previously covered civil liberties, crime, and politics for Vice.