- Jared Leto reportedly tried to stop ‘Joker’ from happening Today 4:12 PM
- People are grossed out by cow insemination-themed pregnancy announcement Today 3:13 PM
- Major protests in Lebanon triggered by plan to tax WhatsApp calls Today 1:38 PM
- Frank Ocean’s $60 HIV prevention drug-themed shirts called tone-deaf Today 12:49 PM
- ‘Joker’ stairs latest Instagram spot; locals joke about potential robberies Today 10:30 AM
- PewDiePie banned in China after reacting to Winnie the Pooh memes Today 8:46 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Eagles on Sunday Night Football Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream Chargers vs. Titans in Week 7 Today 6:00 AM
- 13 spooky romance games for adults Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 9 Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Impact Wrestling’s Bound For Glory Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Bills vs. Dolphins in Week 7 Today 4:30 AM
- How to stream Jaguars vs. Bengals in Week 7 Today 4:00 AM
- How to stream Texans vs. Colts in Week 7 Today 3:00 AM
- How to stream Manchester United vs. Liverpool Saturday 10:00 PM
Michael Cohen, the former lawyer for President Donald Trump, spent long hours on Wednesday testifying before Congress. As the internet audience hung onto his every word, one back-and-forth with Rep. Jackie Speier (D-Calif.) stuck out and became an instant Twitter meme.
Amid other questions, Speier asked Cohen: “How many times did Mr. Trump ask you to threaten an individual or entity on his behalf?”
Cohen answered, “quite a few times.” But Speier wanted the number. She asked, “50 times?” Cohen said “more.” She asked, “100 times?” Cohen said, “more.” Finally, Speier asked, “500 times?” And Cohen answered: “Probably.”
A clip of the exchange floated around Twitter with users interjecting their own questions to which the answer is “500. Probably.”
"how many times have you watched gaga and bradley cooper perform shallow?" pic.twitter.com/I4QHbn43i8— Steadman™ (@AsteadWesley) February 27, 2019
"how many times have you skipped class during your collegiate career?" pic.twitter.com/TSBz5TmtRL— The Black Sheep (@TheBlackSheep99) February 27, 2019
"How many times have you sloppily eaten shredded cheese straight from the bag after midnight?" pic.twitter.com/yax5bg0DFw— Erick Fernandez (@ErickFernandez) February 27, 2019
The meme seemed to especially resonate with sports fans.
“How many times did the Mets let you down last season?”— Good Fundies Brian (@OmarMinayaFan) February 27, 2019
The rest of Cohen’s response to Speier clarified how he said he “threatened” people and entities on Trump’s behalf.
“And when you say threaten, I’m talking about with litigation or an argument with … a nasty reporter that is writing an article,” Cohen said.
- The Trump sons are mocking Cohen’s testimony on Twitter
- Republican brings Black aide to Cohen testimony to show Trump isn’t racist
- Trump once tweeted about the alleged fake buyer Cohen found for charity portrait
Kris Seavers is the IRL editor for the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.