- Damian Lillard’s game-winning 3-pointer inspired a plethora of memes Today 12:17 PM
- Gamers are blaming socialism for making the women in Mortal Kombat ‘ugly’ Today 11:36 AM
- Nickelodeon is selling SpongeBob toys based on popular memes Today 11:25 AM
- Alex Jones protests outside the White House by shouting the name of his website Today 11:13 AM
- ‘I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson’ has an absurd conclusion for every scenario Today 10:52 AM
- Twitch star TF Blade banned for racial slur—but he swears he didn’t say it Today 10:43 AM
- Steve King says backlash to white nationalism comment was like what Jesus went through Today 10:23 AM
- Netflix movies are still eligible for Oscars, Academy rules Today 10:21 AM
- Sheriff’s deputy makes homophobic comments on Facebook after gay teen’s suicide Today 10:02 AM
- The Marvel movies you actually need to see before ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Today 9:10 AM
- Twitter launches new tool to combat misinformation about voting Today 8:44 AM
- These Cards Will Get You Drunk is the game with one very obvious purpose Today 8:20 AM
- Conservative guy’s Elizabeth Warren op-ed inspires ‘slap in the face’ meme Today 7:37 AM
- ‘Ask Dr. Ruth’ takes a crowd-pleasing look at her life and groundbreaking career Today 7:30 AM
- Tom Holland and Daisy Ridley’s ‘Chaos Walking’ is so bad it’s ‘unreleasable’ Today 7:01 AM
Jason Chaffetz’s attempt to mock Elizabeth Warren gets blasted online
The response was quick.
Former Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) caught heat online on Thursday after he posted a picture of himself standing next to a wooden Native American statue in an attempt to mock Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.).
Chaffetz’s attempt at humor comes as Warren released the results of a DNA test earlier this week that showed she had Native American ancestry.
“At Disneyland today with Senator Elizabeth Warren,” the former representative wrote, posting a picture of him standing next to a statue that depicts a Native American.
At Disneyland today with Senator Elizabeth Warren pic.twitter.com/37rvaSOVGl
— Jason Chaffetz (@jasoninthehouse) October 18, 2018
The test has been a source of mockery from President Donald Trump and other conservatives. Sen. Lindsey Graham drew flak after he said his hypothetical DNA test would “probably be Iranian” and added that it would be “terrible.” The president has sent out numerous tweets mocking the senator, as has his son, Donald Trump Jr.
Chaffetz’s tweet—and identical Instagram post—were not met kindly online. Many people called the post offensive and racist.
an offensive caricature poses with a statue https://t.co/ysZQlmddJe
— Dusty (@DustinGiebel) October 18, 2018
Whatever anyone's feelings about Warren, she's being subjected to overtly racist attacks from mainstream Republicans that are also attacks on all Native Americans. This was true before the DNA test and it seems to be getting worse. https://t.co/ALAu3BOpvz
— Only using this platform for BOO-ms (@DavidKlion) October 18, 2018
Yeah… don’t do this people. https://t.co/waGrHEpxrs
— Emily C. Singer (@CahnEmily) October 18, 2018
Look your daughter in her face and gleefully show her what a low-life dad you really are. https://t.co/5eXelZ2D5c
— MJGPhillips (@Grooms6) October 18, 2018
— Shantel (@FashionandFaith) October 18, 2018
Wow, really? You're going that low, huh? It really shouldn't surprise me, to be honest. https://t.co/xiiwPVMMIx
— Niki Brooks (@NikiLouWho) October 18, 2018
He's at Disneyland. With children. Making racist jokes. Please do better. https://t.co/J9PD1jrkSN
— Kate Bennett (@KateBennett_DC) October 18, 2018
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).