- What is “TikTok including Musical.ly”? Tuesday 8:48 PM
- Video shows driver yelling N-word at Black woman in road rage incident Tuesday 7:40 PM
- A fan gifted Billie Eilish a jacket–it ended up in a thrift store for another fan to find Tuesday 6:49 PM
- Fans are surprisingly hyping Moby up for his new vegan tattoo Tuesday 6:13 PM
- Suspicionless searches of travelers’ electronics ruled unconstitutional Tuesday 5:22 PM
- Facebook testing TikTok clone within Instagram called Reels Tuesday 5:11 PM
- Han Solo shooting scene changed yet again, spawning ‘Maclunkey’ memes Tuesday 4:52 PM
- Facebook bug opened iPhone cameras while users scrolled their feeds Tuesday 4:36 PM
- Black Facebook employees say company racism has ‘gotten worse’ Tuesday 4:01 PM
- This fish with a ‘human face’ is here to give you nightmares Tuesday 3:28 PM
- TikTok’s piercing challenge leaves the fate of your face up to a filter Tuesday 2:54 PM
- Soldiers with top-secret clearance say they were ordered to install a sketchy app Tuesday 2:46 PM
- How to take your Korean beauty routine on the go Tuesday 2:24 PM
- Disney+’s ‘Encore!’ is a love letter to high school theater Tuesday 2:15 PM
- White tourist filmed shouting homophobic, racist slurs Tuesday 1:31 PM
Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) joked on Tuesday morning that his ancestry would show that he was Iranian if he took a DNA test, adding that it would “be, like, terrible.”
Graham made the comment when speaking on Fox & Friends. The joke came after Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) made public the results of a DNA test she took that showed she had Native American ancestry in light of President Donald Trump routinely mocking her as “Pocahontas.”
“I’m going to take a DNA test,” the senator said. “I’ve been told my grandmother may be part Cherokee Indian. It may be just talk. You’re going to find out in a couple weeks, because I’m going to take this test. I’m taking it and the results are going to be revealed here. This is my Trump moment, this is reality TV.”
“I didn’t really think much about it. But she is less than one-tenth of 1 percent. I think can beat her.”
Graham ended the segment by cracking his joke—which was called bigoted by people online.
“I’ll probably be Iranian and that would be, like, terrible.”
The senator’s remarks were not met well with people online.
Bigot Lindsey Graham jokes about taking a DNA test: "I'll probably be Iranian. That'd be, like, terrible."— UNITE RESIST & FIGHT (@stopthenutjob) October 16, 2018
Yes, terrible for Iran or any other people who might be associated in any way with a moral worm and sycophant like Lindsey Graham.
WOW -- Graham ends his 'Fox & Friends' interview with some gross, casual bigotry. After announcing he plans to take a DNA test, Graham says, "I'll probably be Iranian. That'd be like, terrible."— Barbara Santana (@Barbara96913515) October 16, 2018
“I'll probably be Iranian. That'd be, like, terrible." - Lindsey Graham unleashing some racism— laney (@misslaneym) October 16, 2018
Counterpoint: Iranians don’t want you either
Well @LindseyGrahamSC thanks for insulting the heritage of a bunch of your constituents in #SouthCarolina. Glad to know you think me being Iranian-American is terrible. @LeylaGulenFOX24 @FoxNews https://t.co/wSvxpFIjS5— Rouzy Vafaie (@RouzySC) October 16, 2018
Lindsey Graham says he's glad he's not Iranian. He's actually from Vulgaria.— Nina de Wolf (@wmdewolf) October 16, 2018
It’s been a big few weeks for Graham, who catapulted into the national conversation when, during the confirmation hearings for Supreme Court justice Brett Kavanaugh, he became a hero to the far-right.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).