- Emails reveal Facebook’s knowledge of Cambridge Analytica 10 Months Ago
- ‘Fast and Furious’ + ‘American Ninja Warrior’ = Netflix’s ‘Hyperdrive’ Today 3:15 PM
- Trump jokes drop in Dow is because Seth Moulton dropped out of 2020 race Today 3:13 PM
- What we learned when we visited Mr. B, America’s chonkiest cat Today 1:46 PM
- Trump’s new plan to fight opioid overdose? This tweet Today 1:06 PM
- Fitness influencer shamed for ‘sharing numbers’ in weight loss posts Today 1:04 PM
- The VSCO Girl has always been here Today 1:01 PM
- Tomi Lahren’s new ‘Freedom’ clothing line is made for meme mockery Today 12:21 PM
- Taylor Swift’s ‘London Boy’ is a bop, but Brits don’t think her lyrics are accurate Today 12:02 PM
- Popeyes blasted for employee welfare amid chicken sandwich war Today 11:59 AM
- Cory Booker says nonbinary ‘niephew’ taught him about trans issues Today 11:53 AM
- Megachurch pushes conversion therapy on Instagram, Facebook with #OnceGay Today 11:11 AM
- Christian movie review site blasts Netflix’s ‘The Family’ Today 10:50 AM
- YouTube removes ‘coordinated’ channels spreading Hong Kong misinformation Today 8:58 AM
- Christina Hendricks reveals she was the hand model for ‘American Beauty’ Today 8:30 AM
Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) joked on Tuesday morning that his ancestry would show that he was Iranian if he took a DNA test, adding that it would “be, like, terrible.”
Graham made the comment when speaking on Fox & Friends. The joke came after Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) made public the results of a DNA test she took that showed she had Native American ancestry in light of President Donald Trump routinely mocking her as “Pocahontas.”
“I’m going to take a DNA test,” the senator said. “I’ve been told my grandmother may be part Cherokee Indian. It may be just talk. You’re going to find out in a couple weeks, because I’m going to take this test. I’m taking it and the results are going to be revealed here. This is my Trump moment, this is reality TV.”
“I didn’t really think much about it. But she is less than one-tenth of 1 percent. I think can beat her.”
Graham ended the segment by cracking his joke—which was called bigoted by people online.
“I’ll probably be Iranian and that would be, like, terrible.”
The senator’s remarks were not met well with people online.
Bigot Lindsey Graham jokes about taking a DNA test: "I'll probably be Iranian. That'd be, like, terrible."— UNITE RESIST & FIGHT (@stopthenutjob) October 16, 2018
Yes, terrible for Iran or any other people who might be associated in any way with a moral worm and sycophant like Lindsey Graham.
WOW -- Graham ends his 'Fox & Friends' interview with some gross, casual bigotry. After announcing he plans to take a DNA test, Graham says, "I'll probably be Iranian. That'd be like, terrible."— Barbara Santana (@Barbara96913515) October 16, 2018
“I'll probably be Iranian. That'd be, like, terrible." - Lindsey Graham unleashing some racism— laney (@misslaneym) October 16, 2018
Counterpoint: Iranians don’t want you either
Well @LindseyGrahamSC thanks for insulting the heritage of a bunch of your constituents in #SouthCarolina. Glad to know you think me being Iranian-American is terrible. @LeylaGulenFOX24 @FoxNews https://t.co/wSvxpFIjS5— Rouzy Vafaie (@RouzySC) October 16, 2018
Lindsey Graham says he's glad he's not Iranian. He's actually from Vulgaria.— Nina de Wolf (@wmdewolf) October 16, 2018
It’s been a big few weeks for Graham, who catapulted into the national conversation when, during the confirmation hearings for Supreme Court justice Brett Kavanaugh, he became a hero to the far-right.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).