- James Charles receives backlash over ‘racist’ imitation of Latinx TikTok character, Rosa Tuesday 7:06 PM
- Video shows people harassing elderly Asian man while he collects cans Tuesday 6:23 PM
- Bob Iger steps down as Disney CEO, prompting conspiracy theories Tuesday 5:53 PM
- Bhad Bhabie threatens to kill Skai Jackson amid feud involving their moms Tuesday 4:51 PM
- Body camera shows officer boasting about arresting a 6-year-old Tuesday 3:58 PM
- Singer Duffy opens up about the rape, captivity that led her to stop singing Tuesday 3:51 PM
- Cynthia Nixon embodies feminist rage in viral video Tuesday 3:30 PM
- Samsung factory shuts down amid confirmed coronavirus case Tuesday 3:08 PM
- Bebe Rexha says she won’t be ‘imprisoned’ by bipolar disorder Tuesday 2:33 PM
- The ‘your music saved me’ meme celebrates the wackiest influences of our time Tuesday 2:20 PM
- This guy slapped his mom’s boobs for a TikTok and, honestly, it’s exhausting (updated) Tuesday 12:37 PM
- Jif peanut butter and Giphy have joined forces on how to pronounce ‘GIF’ Tuesday 12:19 PM
- This dad threw a 1-year HRT party for his trans son and the internet can’t get enough of it Tuesday 11:44 AM
- This petition wants Pornhub to be shut down for good Tuesday 11:03 AM
- Pete Buttigieg’s speech voice is suspiciously like Obama’s Tuesday 10:56 AM
Conservatives on social media have been floating an unflattering photo they’ve said is Democratic presidential candidate Beto O’Rourke as a younger man. In the photo, it appears the perhaps-drunken man has wet himself at a party. Many referred to the man as “Mr. Pissy Pants,” or “pissy pants” for short.
However, the man in the photo is not O’Rourke at all. It is Philadelphia-area rock musician Alex Giannascoli, known professionally as (Sandy) Alex G. And he did not wet himself.
“I spilled a beer on my pants,” Giannascoli told Factcheck.org, of the picture taken nearly two years ago backstage at a show in New York City. “I was joking around. It obviously isn’t that funny anymore.”
Giannascoli made fun of the ridiculousness of the situation on Instagram. The singer posted one of the memes made from the photo, with the caption: “I’M BETO ROBERT FRANCIS O’ROURKE I’M HERE FOR YOUR GUNS.”
People knowledgeable about Giannascoli thought it was funny.
WHO IS TELLING THE RIGHT THAT THIS PIC OF ALEX G IS BETO OROURKE LMAOOOO LITTLE BOY PISSY PANTS pic.twitter.com/ifqTgfcyEv— evan (@weepingcreep) September 18, 2019
All potential facts of the matter pushed aside, conservatives proceeded to take gratuitous shots at “pissy pants” O’Rourke.
So This “man” 👇 is gonna “take” away your AR15...— PATRIOT 4 TRUMP❌ (@kat2020maga) September 13, 2019
Anybody scared? 🤣 pic.twitter.com/azYMEJf1sa
Most of the “pissy pants” memes are related to O’Rourke’s stated desires to eliminate assault rifles, as part of his overarching plan to curb further instances of mass shootings, which included a buyback program. He recently doubled down on his stance to confiscate weapons in specific circumstances, calling out Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y) for failing to act on gun violence.
I just liked this tweet and now it’s been deleted and I’m HEARTBROKEN! LITTLE BOY PISSY PANTS!!!! pic.twitter.com/AO7N9oCnK4— kacey muffgraves (@nalaeanaiswhite) September 19, 2019
Shut up pissy pants. You are getting nothing, zero, nadda. I have carried a weapon of war in the Marine Corps and an AR-15 isn't it. The Second Amendment is to protect us from people exactly like you.... hint ....government overreach.— Ron @ Fastway Docs (@FastwayLegalDoc) September 19, 2019
Ya come try it pissy pants pic.twitter.com/9q4PlyD3rh— BlizzDog (@BlizzDog) September 15, 2019
O’Rourke has had no comment on the meme or photo.
- How old is Beto O’Rourke?
- NRA calls Beto O’Rourke ‘AR-15 salesman of the month’ in wake of buyback proposal
- Beto O’Rourke says he opposes police use of facial recognition tech
Kahron Spearman is a music and film critic whose work can also regularly be regularly found in the Austin Chronicle.