- ‘Weathering With You’ blends fantasy and realism in a magical love story Saturday 6:18 PM
- Kidnapped teen used Snapchat to get rescued Saturday 4:35 PM
- What fans do and don’t want to see in future ‘Far Cry’ installments Saturday 4:26 PM
- Aaron Carter accused of stealing lion art for merch Saturday 3:10 PM
- Instagram’s hidden like counts were inspired by a ‘Black Mirror’ episode Saturday 2:06 PM
- Student says they were expelled for tricking teacher into making inappropriate TikTok Saturday 12:26 PM
- Space Force uniforms relentlessly mocked, memed Saturday 10:52 AM
- Man flamed after admitting he called police on Target employee over a toothbrush Saturday 9:10 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Vivir Dos Veces’ searches for a last chance at first love Saturday 8:00 AM
- Camila Cabello must do more about her racist history Saturday 6:00 AM
- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
Meet Melanie Gaydos, the most inspiring model on Instagram
Melanie Gaydos was born with ectodermal dysplasia. But that didn’t stop her from pursuing her dream.
As an adult, Gaydos decided to use her unconventional looks to her advantage by becoming a model. She began her career as a photography model before she was hired for fashion shoots and a role in a Rammstein video.
Today, Gaydos is a working model in the high-end fashion industry, regularly posting photos from her shoots on her Instagram.
In an interview with the What’s Underneath Project, Gaydos said that in recent years she’s become far more accepting of her appearance, abandoning her old habit of wearing wigs. “I wore wigs really only for societal purposes,” she explained. She’s an incredibly versatile model, her work ranging from catwalk shows to more theatrical photo shoots.
Hopefully, Gaydos’ success is a sign that the fashion world is becoming more open to models whose looks don’t adhere to conventional beauty standards. Still, Gaydos has admitted to the Daily Beast that she’s concerned about being typecast or used as a gimmick. Her goal is to “make good choices so people understand that I’m a serious model,” a decision that already seems to be working out, considering her diverse portfolio of work.
Photo via Melanie Gaydos/Instagram
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor