Border officials didn’t receive instructions on ‘zero tolerance’ until separations started, emails reveal
- Senator calls Facebook’s current election disinformation efforts ‘inadequate’ in letter 12 Months Ago
- The Phillie Phanatic mascot unveils a slimmer makeover 12 Months Ago
- YouTuber threatened with arrest after rapping about being a girl from Mecca 12 Months Ago
- Video shows flat-Earther ‘daredevil’ crashing to death after homemade rocket fails 12 Months Ago
- Cardi B defends Dwyane Wade’s daughter during Instagram Live 12 Months Ago
- YouTube briefly shuts down beloved ‘lofi hip hop radio’ channel, launching a new meme Today 11:42 AM
- Neil deGrasse Tyson points out that Elsa from ‘Frozen’ has ‘horse-sized eyeballs’ Today 10:58 AM
- Republicans as Sanders rises: Watch out, we may vote for Trump Today 10:54 AM
- Amazon series ‘Hunters’ criticized by Auschwitz Memorial over fictionalized scene Today 10:45 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Gentefied’ is actually made for people of color Today 9:28 AM
- Drug dealer loses $60 million after misplacing his Bitcoin code Today 9:18 AM
- TSA bans employees from using TikTok Today 9:09 AM
- PewDiePie rips Jake Paul, calls his money-making venture ‘complete bullsh*t’ Today 9:05 AM
- Can a lawsuit in Illinois stop a dangerous new facial recognition app? Today 6:30 AM
- Fan uncovers ‘Westworld’ trailers hidden on fictional company’s website Sunday 8:18 PM
Border officials weren’t given guidance on how to enforce the Trump administration’s “zero tolerance” policy until nearly a month after it was announced, according to emails secured by Democracy Now through the Freedom of Information Act.
The lack of instructions could offer insight into how the family separation policy, which separated more than 2,300 children from their families, was carried out so haphazardly. While Customs and Border Protection claimed to have implemented a process for tracking the separations in April, it has now been revealed that the memo with instructions was not sent until May 4.
The emails also reveal that, contrary to CBP’s claims, there was no process set up for tracking family separation. While the emails keep tallies of how many people are being prosecuted, there is no mention of any process or agency for tracking the whereabouts of children who were taken from their parents, or any mention of how, when, or if the families would be reunited.
Scott Shuchart, a former senior advisor at the Department of Homeland Security, told BuzzFeed News that there had been a trial of zero separation in Texas in 2017. Schuchart questioned why the policy was carried out so sloppily, given all the preparation that had been happening. “Why did they not make an effort to have it go smoothly?” said Shuchart. “It’s clumsy and consistent with the amateurish way they went about destroying people’s lives.”
- From Chicano to Xicanx: A brief history of a political and cultural identity
- Adjusting to America: What happened to the migrant girl whose cries shook the country
- Meet the undocumented students who are outspoken and unafraid of Trump’s DACA orders
Former head of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) John Sandweg also spoke to BuzzFeed News about the lack of preparation and clarity about how the zero-tolerance policy was to be carried out. “The takeaway is that there was no planning or prep for this,” said Sandweg. “There is no mention of children or trying to build in place inter-agency systems to track the location of children and parents. Those are things that are most concerning.”
As of October, over 200 children separated during the summer’s “zero tolerance” policy still remained in government custody, even though a U.S. district judge had ordered the government to reunite them with their families.
H/T BuzzFeed News
Alex Dalbey is a writer and zinester currently living in Saint Paul, Minnesota. They have written for The Daily Dot, Kill Screen, The Lingerie Addict, and Bullet Points.