- Gamer Krucial B passes away during Defend the North tournament 3 Years Ago
- Brexit supporter Boris Johnson becomes prime minister—spawning lots of memes 3 Years Ago
- Democrats want to ban use of facial recognition in public housing Today 8:29 AM
- In America’s meme war, the left and right are fighting different battles Today 8:10 AM
- Mahershala Ali’s ‘Blade’ movie won’t arrive until Phase 5 of the MCU Today 7:18 AM
- Natalie Portman isn’t playing ‘female Thor’—she’s ‘Mighty Thor’ Today 7:08 AM
- How to watch ‘Breaking Bad’ online Today 7:00 AM
- Controversial Instagram influencer plans event called ‘The Scam’ Today 7:00 AM
- How to clear your search history on Instagram Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream the Leagues Cup competition between MLS and Liga MX Today 5:00 AM
- Here’s why you shouldn’t buy a Nintendo Switch until mid-August Monday 5:11 PM
- Man blasted for making his coworkers babysit his child Monday 5:07 PM
- Pete Buttigieg’s country radio interview was blocked from the air Monday 4:35 PM
- 15-year-old Smash Bros. prodigy caught using racist slur in private Discord server Monday 3:47 PM
- Instagram users who post pet pictures more likely to get hacked Monday 3:45 PM
Azealia Banks says Russell Crowe choked her, called her the N-word at a hotel party
Her fans are calling for #JusticeForAzealia.
Something went down between Russell Crowe and Azealia Banks last night. According to Crowe, Banks was a disruptive guest at his party. But according to Banks, Crowe choked her and called her the N-word.
TMZ details how Banks was kicked out of Crowe’s party at a Beverly Hills hotel, which she attended as the guest of RZA. Banks reportedly called Crowe and another guest “boring white men” (where is the lie?), and made fun of Crowe’s taste in music. TMZ reports that Crowe “bear hugged” Banks to carry her out of the room, and multiple guests describe her as “erratic.”
However, Banks fans are calling for #JusticeForAzealia and sharing what appears to be a now-deleted Facebook post from Banks, which claims Crowe was abusive and racist.
Banks allegedly claimed that Crowe “called me a n*gger, choked me, threw me out and spat at me.” The post has been deleted, but one currently on her Facebook page simply reads, “I have receipts. Stay tuned.”
Screengrab via Facebook
Both Crowe and Banks are known for public altercations and causing controversy. Crowe has been involved in a number of public fights and was charged with second-degree assault in 2005 after he threw a telephone at a hotel concierge. In another altercation, he allegedly called the New Zealand Warriors rugby team, many of whom are of Maori descent, “a bunch of coconuts” and “darkies.”
Crowe also retweeted the original TMZ story, but we’ll update if and when Banks drops those receipts.
Update Oct. 17, 1pm CT: Banks’ manager, Raýmani, tweeted the following:
A statement has been issued regarding my client Azealia Banks, “Azealia is tremendously distraught and disheartened. She is shell shocked…
— Raýmani (@Raymani) October 17, 2016
and will speak out on the incident once she has had time to process the brutality and abuse she was unjustly subjected to.”
— Raýmani (@Raymani) October 17, 2016
Update Oct. 20, 3:17 pm CT: Rza responded to the incident in a post on Facebook, in which he called Banks’ behavior that night “obnoxious” and “erratic,” and that he never heard Crowe call her the N-word.
Jaya Saxena is a lifestyle writer and editor whose work focuses primarily on women's issues and web culture. Her writing has appeared in GQ, ELLE, the Toast, the New Yorker, Tthe Hairpin, BuzzFeed, Racked, Eater, Catapult, and others. She is the co-author of 'Dad Magazine,' the author of 'The Book Of Lost Recipes,' and the co-author of 'Basic Witches.'