- Man flamed after admitting he called police on Target employee over a toothbrush Today 9:10 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Vivir Dos Veces’ searches for a last chance at first love Today 8:00 AM
- Camila Cabello must do more about her racist history Today 6:00 AM
- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
- Blue Bell ice cream licker pleads guilty Friday 2:54 PM
- 7 fortune-telling sites for when you’re bored Friday 2:21 PM
- Governor bans sex puns on free condom wrappers Friday 2:16 PM
- Is Justin Bieber’s ‘Yummy’ video secretly about Pizzagate? Friday 1:01 PM
- Woah Vicky rips out her hair in botched cultural appropriation attempt Friday 12:30 PM
- Here’s an exclusive look at ‘Weathering With You’ Friday 11:57 AM
- TikTok dudes are dipping their balls in soy sauce for ‘science’ Friday 11:49 AM
Azealia Banks says Russell Crowe choked her, called her the N-word at a hotel party
Her fans are calling for #JusticeForAzealia.
Something went down between Russell Crowe and Azealia Banks last night. According to Crowe, Banks was a disruptive guest at his party. But according to Banks, Crowe choked her and called her the N-word.
TMZ details how Banks was kicked out of Crowe’s party at a Beverly Hills hotel, which she attended as the guest of RZA. Banks reportedly called Crowe and another guest “boring white men” (where is the lie?), and made fun of Crowe’s taste in music. TMZ reports that Crowe “bear hugged” Banks to carry her out of the room, and multiple guests describe her as “erratic.”
However, Banks fans are calling for #JusticeForAzealia and sharing what appears to be a now-deleted Facebook post from Banks, which claims Crowe was abusive and racist.
Banks allegedly claimed that Crowe “called me a n*gger, choked me, threw me out and spat at me.” The post has been deleted, but one currently on her Facebook page simply reads, “I have receipts. Stay tuned.”
Screengrab via Facebook
Both Crowe and Banks are known for public altercations and causing controversy. Crowe has been involved in a number of public fights and was charged with second-degree assault in 2005 after he threw a telephone at a hotel concierge. In another altercation, he allegedly called the New Zealand Warriors rugby team, many of whom are of Maori descent, “a bunch of coconuts” and “darkies.”
Crowe also retweeted the original TMZ story, but we’ll update if and when Banks drops those receipts.
Update Oct. 17, 1pm CT: Banks’ manager, Raýmani, tweeted the following:
A statement has been issued regarding my client Azealia Banks, “Azealia is tremendously distraught and disheartened. She is shell shocked…
— Raýmani (@Raymani) October 17, 2016
and will speak out on the incident once she has had time to process the brutality and abuse she was unjustly subjected to.”
— Raýmani (@Raymani) October 17, 2016
Update Oct. 20, 3:17 pm CT: Rza responded to the incident in a post on Facebook, in which he called Banks’ behavior that night “obnoxious” and “erratic,” and that he never heard Crowe call her the N-word.
Jaya Saxena is a lifestyle writer and editor whose work focuses primarily on women's issues and web culture. Her writing has appeared in GQ, ELLE, the Toast, the New Yorker, Tthe Hairpin, BuzzFeed, Racked, Eater, Catapult, and others. She is the co-author of 'Dad Magazine,' the author of 'The Book Of Lost Recipes,' and the co-author of 'Basic Witches.'