- Disney CEO Bob Iger leaves Apple board amid streaming wars 3 Years Ago
- Influencer Destiny Marquez faces backlash for berating Forever 21 employee Today 10:32 AM
- Chelsea Handler tackles system racism in ‘Hello Privilege. It’s Me, Chelsea’ Today 9:18 AM
- Gun control proposal: Trump, lawmakers considering background check-conducting app Today 9:05 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Jets on Monday Night Football Today 7:00 AM
- What are anons? Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream Eagles vs. Falcons on Sunday Night Football Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 4 Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream WWE’s Clash of Champions 2019 Saturday 8:00 PM
- How ‘F*ck off Scotland’ became a Scottish rallying cry amid Brexit madness Saturday 6:28 PM
- A Missouri officer resigned after his Islamophobic Facebook posts surfaced Saturday 5:08 PM
- Adding ‘Triggered’ to stock photos of white men creates Netflix comedy special thumbnails Saturday 3:10 PM
- New restaurant in New York has a seriously unfortunate name: ‘Qanoon’ Saturday 1:38 PM
- These are the 10 best ‘Star Wars’ ships Saturday 12:41 PM
- Google Maps helped solve a decades-old missing persons case Saturday 12:27 PM
Azealia Banks says Russell Crowe choked her, called her the N-word at a hotel party
Her fans are calling for #JusticeForAzealia.
Something went down between Russell Crowe and Azealia Banks last night. According to Crowe, Banks was a disruptive guest at his party. But according to Banks, Crowe choked her and called her the N-word.
TMZ details how Banks was kicked out of Crowe’s party at a Beverly Hills hotel, which she attended as the guest of RZA. Banks reportedly called Crowe and another guest “boring white men” (where is the lie?), and made fun of Crowe’s taste in music. TMZ reports that Crowe “bear hugged” Banks to carry her out of the room, and multiple guests describe her as “erratic.”
However, Banks fans are calling for #JusticeForAzealia and sharing what appears to be a now-deleted Facebook post from Banks, which claims Crowe was abusive and racist.
Banks allegedly claimed that Crowe “called me a n*gger, choked me, threw me out and spat at me.” The post has been deleted, but one currently on her Facebook page simply reads, “I have receipts. Stay tuned.”
Screengrab via Facebook
Both Crowe and Banks are known for public altercations and causing controversy. Crowe has been involved in a number of public fights and was charged with second-degree assault in 2005 after he threw a telephone at a hotel concierge. In another altercation, he allegedly called the New Zealand Warriors rugby team, many of whom are of Maori descent, “a bunch of coconuts” and “darkies.”
Crowe also retweeted the original TMZ story, but we’ll update if and when Banks drops those receipts.
Update Oct. 17, 1pm CT: Banks’ manager, Raýmani, tweeted the following:
A statement has been issued regarding my client Azealia Banks, “Azealia is tremendously distraught and disheartened. She is shell shocked…
— Raýmani (@Raymani) October 17, 2016
and will speak out on the incident once she has had time to process the brutality and abuse she was unjustly subjected to.”
— Raýmani (@Raymani) October 17, 2016
Update Oct. 20, 3:17 pm CT: Rza responded to the incident in a post on Facebook, in which he called Banks’ behavior that night “obnoxious” and “erratic,” and that he never heard Crowe call her the N-word.
Jaya Saxena is a lifestyle writer and editor whose work focuses primarily on women's issues and web culture. Her writing has appeared in GQ, ELLE, the Toast, the New Yorker, Tthe Hairpin, BuzzFeed, Racked, Eater, Catapult, and others. She is the co-author of 'Dad Magazine,' the author of 'The Book Of Lost Recipes,' and the co-author of 'Basic Witches.'