- Lil Nas X says he will perform at Area 51 for free 4 Weeks Ago
- The best Prime Day deals for gamers 4 Weeks Ago
- How Republicans are dancing around Trump’s racist tweets 4 Weeks Ago
- Not even anti-immigrant groups are defending Trump’s ‘go back’ tweets 4 Weeks Ago
- Netflix’s latest chase thriller ‘Point Blank’ lacks electricity 4 Weeks Ago
- Jay Inslee floats Megan Rapinoe as his secretary of state pick Today 11:33 AM
- The cast list for the ‘Kingsman’ prequel movie looks totally nuts Today 11:17 AM
- The best Prime Day deals to heat up your kitchen Today 11:16 AM
- YouTuber Emily Hartridge killed in electric scooter crash Today 10:50 AM
- Is Lashana Lynch really playing 007 in the new Bond movie? Today 10:33 AM
- Trump demands apology after his racist tweets Today 10:21 AM
- Prime Day deals that’ll make you grateful for your Amazon membership Today 9:51 AM
- Netflix’s ‘4L’ takes a long road trip to the Sahara Today 9:04 AM
- Air Force says it’s ready to ‘protect’ Area 51 amid Facebook event buzz Today 9:02 AM
- Get 50% off 23andMe DNA tests today for Prime Day Today 9:00 AM
O.J. Simpson came into the Twitter scene hot on Friday night. He joined the social media platform just a day after the 25th anniversary of the murders of Nicole Brown Simpson, his late ex-wife, and her friend Ronald Lyle Goldman–a high-profile incident Simpson was famously acquitted for.
Simpson’s account has amassed over 160,000 followers since its inception. His first post was a video, in which he said he has some “getting even to do.”
“Hey Twitter world this is yours truly,” Simpson said. “Now coming soon to Twitter, you’ll get to read my thoughts and opinions on just about everything. Now there’s a lot of fake O.J. accounts out there so this one—@TheRealOJ32—is the only official one. So, it should be a lot of fun. I got some getting even to do. So God bless. Take care.”
Coming Soon!!! pic.twitter.com/R1tXOuuLgO— O.J. Simpson (@TheRealOJ32) June 15, 2019
People on Twitter are freaking out, leading both Simpson’s name and the “juice is loose,” a popular phrase used during Simpson’s football career in the ’70s, to trend online.
When OJ Simpson says he has some "getting even" to do: pic.twitter.com/qcmyrGRZxi— sophie832 (@sophie832) June 15, 2019
When OJ Simpson post his 1st Twitter video and ends it with’ “I got a lot of getting even to do.” pic.twitter.com/RHk5ZuTEHB— Pierre (@pwee31) June 15, 2019
Many expressed fear that Simpson could be lurking nearby, capable of following any account or liking any tweet at a moment’s notice.
"OJ Simpson liked your tweet"— Joey Langone (@JoeyLangone) June 15, 2019
OJ Simpson just followed you! pic.twitter.com/HiIo7Muzrv— .T•R°L!°T•H. (@T_R_LI_T_H) June 15, 2019
After being acquitted of both Brown and Goldman’s murders in 1995, Simpson did a decade-long stint in prison for armed robbery. He was recently released in 2017.
Amid the news of Simpson joining social media, some Twitter users decided it was time to log off for the day.
OJ Simpson joins Twitter three days after the 25th anniversary of the brutal "unsolved" (really heavy air quotes here) Nicole Brown Simpson & Ron Goldman murders. In his very 1st tweet he says he's got some getting even to do.— Paul M. Banks (@PaulMBanks) June 15, 2019
That's enough Twitter for today
See you Sunday pic.twitter.com/H2FisjyBRb
Oh, would you look at that...OJ Simpson is joiningTwitter. pic.twitter.com/HxmvcDgYdb— DirtyDangles (@DirrtyDangles) June 15, 2019
While the account has not yet been verified by Twitter, Malcolm LaVergne, Simpson’s lawyer, said that the @TheRealOJ32 Twitter account is definitely the real deal.
This is the REAL OJ account!!! Verification coming soon ... can’t be without social media in this day and age. M. https://t.co/Oxtutu09Ld— Malcolm LaVergne (@SinCityAttorney) June 15, 2019
@TheRealOJ32 has over 150,000 Twitter followers in less than 12 hours. Now who cares about even being verified. Living well is truly the greatest revenge of all! M.— Malcolm LaVergne (@SinCityAttorney) June 15, 2019
On June 10, Simpson told the Associated Press that he is happily living in Las Vegas, where he plays golf on a near-daily basis. The Juice also added that he no longer discusses the murders and what became known as the “trial of the century.”
“The subject of the moment is the subject I will never revisit again,” Simpson said. “My family and I have moved on to what we call the ‘no negative zone.’ We focus on the positives.”
- These archivists are posting the entire O.J. Simpson trial to YouTube
- 10-year-old breaks down flawed criminal justice system using ‘The People v. O.J. Simpson’
- 13 TV shows on Netflix everyone should see
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Mikael Thalen is a tech and security reporter based in Seattle, covering social media, data breaches, hackers, and more.