- Southwest Airlines passengers receive free Nintendo Switch consoles and Mario Maker 2 Wednesday 9:10 PM
- The Deplorable Choir drops diss track aimed at 4 congresswomen from Trump’s racist tweets Wednesday 8:09 PM
- Florida city is pushing homeless people out by playing ‘Baby Shark’ on a loop Wednesday 7:27 PM
- A ‘Gossip Girl’ reboot is coming to HBO Max–and fans are not happy with the casting details Wednesday 6:44 PM
- Beto can’t leverage his slave owner ancestry to gain Black voters’ trust Wednesday 5:51 PM
- Oakland to become the third U.S. city to ban facial recognition Wednesday 5:50 PM
- ‘Release the Snyder Cut’ billboards pop up outside of San Diego Comic-Con Wednesday 5:24 PM
- Iggy Azalea and Peppa Pig have an epic Twitter fight Wednesday 4:39 PM
- Should you be concerned about your privacy on FaceApp? Wednesday 4:15 PM
- Google ‘terminates’ Dragonfly, its censored search engine for China Wednesday 3:33 PM
- AOC rips Facebook during Libra House hearing Wednesday 3:14 PM
- The time traveler conversation meme finds its way to TikTok Wednesday 2:52 PM
- Grimes claims she had an ‘experimental’ eye surgery and practices sword fighting Wednesday 2:42 PM
- 70 Border Patrol employees under investigation for posts in secret Facebook group Wednesday 1:45 PM
- Republican’s Operation Safe Return criticized as cover for mass deporation Wednesday 1:42 PM
The first single is amazing.
Lamar is joined by SZA in “All the Stars,” a track that will have fans listening to it on repeat and a great set-up for the rest of the soundtrack. While the soundtracks for the Guardians of the Galaxy films have become almost as synonymous as the movies themselves, and Thor: Ragnarok made fantastic use of Led Zeppelin’s “Immigrant Song,” this is the first time that Marvel Studios has commissioned original music for one of its films.
The album is available for pre-order on Google Play and iTunes with an expected release date of Feb. 9, one week before Black Panther’s U.S. theatrical release.
After hinting that he would be working on the Black Panther soundtrack last month, a press release revealed that Lamar is also curating and producing the soundtrack with Top Dawg Entertainment’s Anthony Tiffith.
In a statement, Lamar praised director Ryan Coogler and Black Panther not only as a film but what it will mean to audiences. “Marvel Studios’ Black Panther is amazing, from its cast to its director,” Lamar said. “The magnitude of this film showcases a great marriage of art and culture. I’m truly honored to contribute my knowledge of producing sound and writing music alongside [director Ryan Coogler] and Marvel’s vision.”
Black Panther will be released Feb. 16.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.