- Lawyer of cop in viral assault case calls the crime a ‘Facebook misdemeanor’ 2 Years Ago
- Biden’s ‘all men’-focused announcement gets roasted Today 11:49 AM
- Skillshare is offering new users one month of premium for free Today 10:44 AM
- Report: Facebook is punishing Black people for talking about racism (updated) Today 10:15 AM
- Biden brings tepid language to the healthcare debate Today 9:52 AM
- TikTok’s ‘chin on palm’ challenge has people scratching their heads Today 9:01 AM
- How to stream the 2019 NFL Draft for free Today 9:00 AM
- How to watch every movie in the MCU before ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Today 8:00 AM
- Review: The apocalypse has never been more aimless than in Days Gone Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Boston bomber voting’ discourse is America at its dumbest Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch ‘Top Gear’ for free Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Getafe online for free Today 6:00 AM
- How safe is the ‘safest’ place in Winterfell? Today 5:00 AM
- Gynecologist explains why garlic shouldn’t go in vaginas Wednesday 7:08 PM
- People on Twitter are posting the 5 weirdest jobs they’ve had for this meme Wednesday 6:48 PM
Johnny Depp surprised riders on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride as Jack Sparrow
Pirates of the Caribbean showed the unlikely success of making an entire franchise based off of a theme park ride, and one of its stars came full circle to replace his animatronic character for some riders at Disneyland.
Whether for the first time or the 100th time, those who went on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride might’ve expected some animatronic characters to speak at them during the ride. Some might’ve even expected to see Captain Jack Sparrow, the pirate Johnny Depp made famous throughout the films. What they didn’t expect to see was Depp himself, who temporarily stepped in to take over for his character.
A post shared by Kev (@destinationdisney) on
— Clay Smitty Plays (@ClaySmittyPlays) April 27, 2017
Johnny Depp Is filming on the pirates ride in Disney land!!!! Crazy!!!!!! pic.twitter.com/Klc1QyEKzR
— Tommy Williams (@Twiller0) April 27, 2017
“Everyone was surprised, shocked, and excited to see him,” someone who saw Depp on the ride told E! News. “He acted exactly like his character in the movies.”
— sam (@smccrackenn) April 27, 2017
He later stepped out on the balcony of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride to greet the fans who gathered outside to see him.
With Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales set to be released in just a few short weeks, promotion for the film will likely ramp up. And that means seeing plenty of Depp, who’s long been the face of the franchise. We might even see him as Jack Sparrow a bunch; he has dressed up as the character outside of the film before. And while virality has long been part of the promotion game, some might take his turn in the Pirates of the Caribbean ride as an attempt to rehabilitate his image after domestic abuse allegations—something that, for some actors, doesn’t take much.
Some people have vowed to not see any of his films, but for others it might just take him asking them where the rum has gone.
H/T Hello Giggles
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.