- ‘Weathering With You’ blends fantasy and realism in a magical love story Saturday 6:18 PM
- Kidnapped teen used Snapchat to get rescued Saturday 4:35 PM
- What fans do and don’t want to see in future ‘Far Cry’ installments Saturday 4:26 PM
- Aaron Carter accused of stealing lion art for merch Saturday 3:10 PM
- Instagram’s hidden like counts were inspired by a ‘Black Mirror’ episode Saturday 2:06 PM
- Student says they were expelled for tricking teacher into making inappropriate TikTok Saturday 12:26 PM
- Space Force uniforms relentlessly mocked, memed Saturday 10:52 AM
- Man flamed after admitting he called police on Target employee over a toothbrush Saturday 9:10 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Vivir Dos Veces’ searches for a last chance at first love Saturday 8:00 AM
- Camila Cabello must do more about her racist history Saturday 6:00 AM
- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
Pirates of the Caribbean showed the unlikely success of making an entire franchise based off of a theme park ride, and one of its stars came full circle to replace his animatronic character for some riders at Disneyland.
Whether for the first time or the 100th time, those who went on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride might’ve expected some animatronic characters to speak at them during the ride. Some might’ve even expected to see Captain Jack Sparrow, the pirate Johnny Depp made famous throughout the films. What they didn’t expect to see was Depp himself, who temporarily stepped in to take over for his character.
A post shared by Kev (@destinationdisney) on
Johnny Depp Is filming on the pirates ride in Disney land!!!! Crazy!!!!!! pic.twitter.com/Klc1QyEKzR— Tommy Williams (@Twiller0) April 27, 2017
“Everyone was surprised, shocked, and excited to see him,” someone who saw Depp on the ride told E! News. “He acted exactly like his character in the movies.”
He later stepped out on the balcony of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride to greet the fans who gathered outside to see him.
With Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales set to be released in just a few short weeks, promotion for the film will likely ramp up. And that means seeing plenty of Depp, who’s long been the face of the franchise. We might even see him as Jack Sparrow a bunch; he has dressed up as the character outside of the film before. And while virality has long been part of the promotion game, some might take his turn in the Pirates of the Caribbean ride as an attempt to rehabilitate his image after domestic abuse allegations—something that, for some actors, doesn’t take much.
Some people have vowed to not see any of his films, but for others it might just take him asking them where the rum has gone.
H/T Hello Giggles
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.