- Here’s why you shouldn’t buy a Nintendo Switch until mid-August Today 5:11 PM
- Man blasted for making his coworkers babysit his child Today 5:07 PM
- Pete Buttigieg’s country radio interview was blocked from the air Today 4:35 PM
- 15-year-old Smash Bros. prodigy caught using racist slur in private Discord server Today 3:47 PM
- Instagram users who post pet pictures more likely to get hacked Today 3:45 PM
- Post-Prime Day recap: Shipping delays, more sales, and a scam Today 3:08 PM
- Jacob Wohl returns to Twitter … for now Today 1:56 PM
- How to stream WWE Raw Reunion Today 1:35 PM
- ‘I hope Trump deports you’: Woman goes on racist rant to Spanish speakers at a store Today 1:24 PM
- Emoji Mashup Bot gives life to unidentifiable emotions Today 1:15 PM
- Notorious grifter Anna Sorokin reportedly blocked from profiting off Netflix series Today 12:45 PM
- Charlottesville attacker’s Twitter account included praise for Hitler Today 12:10 PM
- ‘Short Treks’ trailer: Spock, Pike, and Number One return Today 11:57 AM
- Everything we know about ‘Star Trek: Lower Decks,’ the new animated show Today 11:55 AM
- Cole Carrigan says he left Team 10 after being called homophobic slur Today 11:32 AM
Johnny Depp surprised riders on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride as Jack Sparrow
Pirates of the Caribbean showed the unlikely success of making an entire franchise based off of a theme park ride, and one of its stars came full circle to replace his animatronic character for some riders at Disneyland.
Whether for the first time or the 100th time, those who went on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride might’ve expected some animatronic characters to speak at them during the ride. Some might’ve even expected to see Captain Jack Sparrow, the pirate Johnny Depp made famous throughout the films. What they didn’t expect to see was Depp himself, who temporarily stepped in to take over for his character.
A post shared by Kev (@destinationdisney) on
Johnny Depp Is filming on the pirates ride in Disney land!!!! Crazy!!!!!! pic.twitter.com/Klc1QyEKzR— Tommy Williams (@Twiller0) April 27, 2017
“Everyone was surprised, shocked, and excited to see him,” someone who saw Depp on the ride told E! News. “He acted exactly like his character in the movies.”
He later stepped out on the balcony of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride to greet the fans who gathered outside to see him.
With Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales set to be released in just a few short weeks, promotion for the film will likely ramp up. And that means seeing plenty of Depp, who’s long been the face of the franchise. We might even see him as Jack Sparrow a bunch; he has dressed up as the character outside of the film before. And while virality has long been part of the promotion game, some might take his turn in the Pirates of the Caribbean ride as an attempt to rehabilitate his image after domestic abuse allegations—something that, for some actors, doesn’t take much.
Some people have vowed to not see any of his films, but for others it might just take him asking them where the rum has gone.
H/T Hello Giggles
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.