- Former developer at software company deletes his code to protest its ties to ICE Saturday 4:21 PM
- A mysterious website is doxing Hong Kong protesters and journalists Saturday 1:44 PM
- The best ‘Skyrim’ followers and how to get them Saturday 1:26 PM
- Why Joel Osteen gets cyberbullied every time Houston floods Saturday 12:40 PM
- How to stream Jets vs. Patriots in Week 3 Saturday 12:39 PM
- 10 indie dating simulator games you should be playing Saturday 12:31 PM
- How to stream Packers vs. Broncos in Week 3 Saturday 12:14 PM
- Saudi crown prince’s former adviser suspended from Twitter Saturday 11:57 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Dolphins in Week 3 Saturday 11:57 AM
- YouTuber to pay restitution after a teen fan died copying her video Saturday 10:36 AM
- Antonio Brown sent ‘intimidating’ texts to an accuser, including a pic of her children Saturday 9:38 AM
- Facebook suspended tens of thousands of apps after Cambridge Analytica scandal Saturday 8:24 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Rams on Sunday Night Football Saturday 6:00 AM
- How to watch ‘NFL Primetime’ on ESPN+ Saturday 5:00 AM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Chelsea Friday 6:45 PM
Freezing-cold weather makes Vanilla Ice temporarily popular again
For once, you’re not the only person with “Ice Ice Baby” stuck in your head.
Plenty of people are complaining about the unprecedented cold and snow that have marked the first week of 2014, but at least one guy has found a silver lining. That man, of course, is Vanilla Ice, arguably the most successful and fondly remembered one-hit wonder in pop music.
OK, maybe he had two hits, if we’re counting “Ninja Rap.” But it’s the “Under Pressure”–sampling “Ice Ice Baby” that we’re concerned with today, because if you in some way reference that track on Twitter during this polar vortex thing, there’s a good chance he will retweet you.
@vanillaice can hear my dad Singing ICEICEBABY whist getting the ice out the freezer haha
— Holly 🙂 (@Hollyylvsmcfly) January 7, 2014
— Robin Liberatore (@Robinteriors) January 7, 2014
Brrrrrrr. Ice Ice baby. Too cold too cold❄️❄️ @vanillaice reference.
— samantha huddleston (@mrshuddleston40) January 7, 2014
Ice ice baby❄️❄️ the perfect song for this weather, it’s freezing @vanillaice
— Leanne (@lele_carr) January 7, 2014
Sadly, the frigid weather finally caught up with Ice in Miami today, where it’s about 52ºF—which no doubt sounds fairly balmy to anyone stuck in Minnesota.
I CAN’T BELIEVE IT’S FREEZING COLD HERE IN SOUTH FLORIDA, I DON’T LIKE THE COLD. LOL BRING BACK THE SUN AND THE FUN.
— Vanilla Ice (@vanillaice) January 7, 2014
Be careful what you wish for, dude—“Vanilla Slush” is not a great rap name. Or is it? Hang on, I’ve got to buy that domain.
Miles Klee is a novelist and web culture reporter. The former editor of the Daily Dot’s Unclick section, Klee’s essays, satire, and fiction have appeared in Lapham’s Quarterly, Vanity Fair, 3:AM, Salon, the Awl, the New York Observer, the Millions, and the Village Voice. He's the author of two odd books of fiction, 'Ivyland' and 'True False.'