- New Zealand arrests 2 for sharing video of mosque shooting 5 Years Ago
- ‘Queer Eye’ season 3 serves more frothy fun and cathartic realness 5 Years Ago
- Everyone is roasting this photo of Kourtney Kardashian in a bubble bath 5 Years Ago
- White House report has a lot of superheroes listed as interns 5 Years Ago
- Google to launch ‘Stadia’ cloud gaming service this year 5 Years Ago
- Amy Schumer addresses her ‘Growing’ pains in new Netflix special Today 2:04 PM
- This Bitcoin tie is everyone’s favorite part of the Theranos documentary Today 1:56 PM
- Trump’s social media guru gets suspended on Facebook Today 1:51 PM
- YouTube time traveler says he saw a dinosaur—in the future Today 1:47 PM
- Why is Netflix changing the viewing order for ‘Love, Death & Robots’? Today 12:47 PM
- Elizabeth Holmes’ deep voice captivates and confuses the internet Today 12:40 PM
- These cat purses have everything you need (including balls) Today 12:22 PM
- Smooth dude gets girl’s number with a ‘choose your own adventure’ RPG on Tinder Today 12:20 PM
- Beto O’Rourke reportedly pranked his wife with a ‘verdant turd’ Today 12:13 PM
- The Disney-Fox deal is finalized Today 12:08 PM
Freezing-cold weather makes Vanilla Ice temporarily popular again
For once, you’re not the only person with “Ice Ice Baby” stuck in your head.
Plenty of people are complaining about the unprecedented cold and snow that have marked the first week of 2014, but at least one guy has found a silver lining. That man, of course, is Vanilla Ice, arguably the most successful and fondly remembered one-hit wonder in pop music.
OK, maybe he had two hits, if we’re counting “Ninja Rap.” But it’s the “Under Pressure”–sampling “Ice Ice Baby” that we’re concerned with today, because if you in some way reference that track on Twitter during this polar vortex thing, there’s a good chance he will retweet you.
@vanillaice can hear my dad Singing ICEICEBABY whist getting the ice out the freezer haha
— Holly 🙂 (@Hollyylvsmcfly) January 7, 2014
— Robin Liberatore (@Robinteriors) January 7, 2014
Brrrrrrr. Ice Ice baby. Too cold too cold❄️❄️ @vanillaice reference.
— samantha huddleston (@mrshuddleston40) January 7, 2014
Ice ice baby❄️❄️ the perfect song for this weather, it’s freezing @vanillaice
— Leanne (@lele_carr) January 7, 2014
Sadly, the frigid weather finally caught up with Ice in Miami today, where it’s about 52ºF—which no doubt sounds fairly balmy to anyone stuck in Minnesota.
I CAN’T BELIEVE IT’S FREEZING COLD HERE IN SOUTH FLORIDA, I DON’T LIKE THE COLD. LOL BRING BACK THE SUN AND THE FUN.
— Vanilla Ice (@vanillaice) January 7, 2014
Be careful what you wish for, dude—“Vanilla Slush” is not a great rap name. Or is it? Hang on, I’ve got to buy that domain.
Miles Klee is a novelist and web culture reporter. The former editor of the Daily Dot’s Unclick section, Klee’s essays, satire, and fiction have appeared in Lapham’s Quarterly, Vanity Fair, 3:AM, Salon, the Awl, the New York Observer, the Millions, and the Village Voice. He's the author of two odd books of fiction, 'Ivyland' and 'True False.'