- Kylie Jenner opens up about her mental health in candid Instagram post 6 Years Ago
- Fans speculate wildly about Naomi Watts’ ‘Game of Thrones’ prequel role after leaked set photo 6 Years Ago
- New Jersey congressman joins House Democrats ‘Squad’ because of an Onion article Today 3:09 PM
- Twitter begins rolling out new desktop redesign, and users aren’t happy Today 1:54 PM
- Man asks his girlfriend to ‘unlove’ her ex—and people do not agree with him Today 1:37 PM
- Relive a forgotten gem with the TurboGrafx-16 Mini console Today 1:09 PM
- Judge says Daily Stormer founder must pay $14 million for harassing Jewish realtor Today 1:01 PM
- Graphic depiction of suicide cut from Netflix’s ’13 Reasons Why’ Today 12:55 PM
- Streaming titles seize 2019 Emmy nominations Today 12:19 PM
- ‘Frankenstein’s Monster’s Monster, Frankenstein’ tries to find humor in bad actors Today 12:02 PM
- Democratic senator calls Facebook ‘dangerous’ during Libra cryptocurrency hearing Today 11:57 AM
- How ‘Kyle’ became synonymous with angry, Monster Energy-chugging white boys Today 11:22 AM
- Nearly impossible ‘Super Mario Maker 2’ level inspires memes Today 11:16 AM
- Madonna faces backlash for posting photos of her Black daughters with watermelon Today 10:44 AM
- Biden wants to challenge Trump to a push-up contest Today 10:00 AM
Freezing-cold weather makes Vanilla Ice temporarily popular again
For once, you’re not the only person with “Ice Ice Baby” stuck in your head.
Plenty of people are complaining about the unprecedented cold and snow that have marked the first week of 2014, but at least one guy has found a silver lining. That man, of course, is Vanilla Ice, arguably the most successful and fondly remembered one-hit wonder in pop music.
OK, maybe he had two hits, if we’re counting “Ninja Rap.” But it’s the “Under Pressure”–sampling “Ice Ice Baby” that we’re concerned with today, because if you in some way reference that track on Twitter during this polar vortex thing, there’s a good chance he will retweet you.
@vanillaice can hear my dad Singing ICEICEBABY whist getting the ice out the freezer haha
— Holly 🙂 (@Hollyylvsmcfly) January 7, 2014
— Robin Liberatore (@Robinteriors) January 7, 2014
Brrrrrrr. Ice Ice baby. Too cold too cold❄️❄️ @vanillaice reference.
— samantha huddleston (@mrshuddleston40) January 7, 2014
Ice ice baby❄️❄️ the perfect song for this weather, it’s freezing @vanillaice
— Leanne (@lele_carr) January 7, 2014
Sadly, the frigid weather finally caught up with Ice in Miami today, where it’s about 52ºF—which no doubt sounds fairly balmy to anyone stuck in Minnesota.
I CAN’T BELIEVE IT’S FREEZING COLD HERE IN SOUTH FLORIDA, I DON’T LIKE THE COLD. LOL BRING BACK THE SUN AND THE FUN.
— Vanilla Ice (@vanillaice) January 7, 2014
Be careful what you wish for, dude—“Vanilla Slush” is not a great rap name. Or is it? Hang on, I’ve got to buy that domain.
Miles Klee is a novelist and web culture reporter. The former editor of the Daily Dot’s Unclick section, Klee’s essays, satire, and fiction have appeared in Lapham’s Quarterly, Vanity Fair, 3:AM, Salon, the Awl, the New York Observer, the Millions, and the Village Voice. He's the author of two odd books of fiction, 'Ivyland' and 'True False.'