- Netflix drops trailer for Mötley Crüe biopic ‘The Dirt’—and the cast is wild 10 Months Ago
- QAnon’s repetitive posts are alienating even his most ardent supporters 10 Months Ago
- Noah Cyrus cries on Instagram after Lil Xan’s baby announcement Today 2:26 PM
- The ‘Well yes, but actually no’ meme is here to help you explain things Today 12:07 PM
- Judge orders Roger Stone to appear in court after his Instagram post Today 11:24 AM
- I worked with the migrant caravan—and Trump is the cause of his national emergency Today 11:09 AM
- How to watch Liverpool vs. Bayern Munich online for free Today 11:08 AM
- ‘Patriot Act’ volume 2 proves Hasan Minhaj is the next big star of the news-comedy genre Today 11:01 AM
- ‘Friends From College’ canceled after 2 seasons at Netflix Today 10:53 AM
- Allow your wallet to be your spirit guide during this rad anime sale Today 10:43 AM
- Man stages fake DUI trial to propose to girlfriend, and people are asking why Today 10:40 AM
- Bernie Sanders’ website full of 404s on launch day Today 10:23 AM
- Pose’s Indya Moore goes viral for arguing trans women have ‘biologically female’ penises Today 10:21 AM
- Howard Schultz pens Medium essay declaring ‘unprecedented appetite’ for Schultz 2020 Today 9:56 AM
- The weirdest movie at the Oscars is ‘Border’ Today 9:22 AM
She’s got stories.
Baby Ariel, whose real name is Ariel Martin, rose to popularity on the lip-sync app Musical.ly and became an iconic “muser” seemingly overnight, thanks in part to her energetic performances. The 17-year-old now has more than 25 million followers on Musical.ly, more than 8 million on Instagram, more than 2.9 subscribers on YouTube, and brand endorsement deals.
The Florida-born teen came across Musical.ly in 2015 while she was bored at her grandparents’ house. She quickly drew a following after her videos were regularly featured on the app. She’s also branched out into original music with two singles, “Aww” and “Perf,” plus the Daniel Skye collab “Say It.” And if her previous success on the internet indicates anything, she’s just getting started.
8 things you need to know about Musical.ly star Baby Ariel
1) Her first period experience has become something of a social media legend
In September 2017, Martin recalled the first time she had to use a tampon, while she was on DigiTour with all guys. Unsure how to do it, she checked out a YouTube tutorial. Only she hadn’t disconnected her Bluetooth, and it was broadcast to her tourmates in the other room. DigiTour tourmate Weston Koury posted video of the guys discovering this. But Martin had a sense of humor about it.
2) She’s a big Criminal Minds fan
Martin told Billboard that the fake boyfriend mannequin in the video for “Perf” is named Derek Morgan, a tribute to Criminal Minds star Shemar Moore.
- 15 fascinating facts about YouTube star Grace Helbig
- The most-viewed YouTube videos of all time
- The 25 most-subscribed-to YouTube channels
- 10 interesting facts about ‘Stranger Things’ star Millie Bobby Brown
3) She’s getting her own show
In early April digital network Brat announced Martin will star in a new show called Baby Doll Records, which will explore the formation of an underground record label. Martin and director Nayip Ramos posted shots from the shoot on Instagram.
4) Her parents are social media stars too
Martin’s parents are very supportive of her and brother Jacob (aka King Jacob) on social media, but the Meet the Martins YouTube channel lets the whole family get some shine. They do carpool karaoke together, critique old videos, and prank call people. Plus, they’ll occasionally post throwback videos featuring baby Baby Ariel and her brother.
5) Her first Musical.ly video was a Nicki Minaj song
Martin took on her idol Nicki Minaj’s “I’m Legit” as her first post on the app. Finally, in 2017, things came full circle: She did a real-life Musical.ly alongside Minaj. It’s just as iconic as you hoped it would be.
6) She started an anti-bullying campaign
After experiencing cyberbullying and online hate firsthand, Martin started the hashtag #ArielMovement to push back against bullying and help followers who might also be experiencing negativity. “Over time, I have learned to focus only on the positive,” She told Paper in 2017. I only surround myself with people who lift me up.” She still takes time to respond to hate comments, even with millions of followers.
7) She once had to transport a mannequin in an Uber
In a behind-the-scenes video for “Perf,” Martin explains that in one scene, she has to try to get her mannequin boyfriend into an Uber. According to Martin, it took a few takes but yielded some great physical comedy.
- 15 things you didn’t know about MattyB, the teenage YouTube sensation
- How to download your favorite YouTube videos
- There’s a lot you don’t know about ‘Stranger Things’ star Finn Wolfhard
- 15 fascinating facts about rising star rapper Lil Xan
8) Miranda Sings gave her some interesting advice for being a YouTuber
Martin and popular YouTuber Miranda Sings joined forces for a video about how to get more engagement on the platform. That includes decapitating a stuffed animal, killing fish, and using spit for fake tears.
Editor’s note: This article is regularly updated for relevance.
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.