- Baltimore still refuses to pay hackers who hit city with ransomware Today 5:34 PM
- Net neutrality advocates slam ‘extremely troubling’ letter circulating among some House Dems Today 4:52 PM
- Moms and grandmas are infiltrating TikTok Today 4:35 PM
- Did Britain’s head Brexiter hide in a bus to avoid getting hit by a milkshake? Today 4:26 PM
- This woman who thought she saw a handmaid about to jump from a building is very relieved Today 4:18 PM
- Michael Avenatti allegedly defrauded Stormy Daniels to pay for a Ferrari Today 3:53 PM
- HBO has no plans for an Arya Stark spinoff series Today 3:28 PM
- Republicans and Democrats agree on dangers of facial recognition tech Today 3:18 PM
- Amazon is using video games and ‘swag bucks’ to incentivize workers Today 3:04 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in June Today 2:46 PM
- This Michael Jackson makeup meme is sweeping TikTok Today 2:45 PM
- Homophobic preacher wants Pete Buttigieg to renounce fisting and rimming Today 2:33 PM
- ‘The Liar, the Snitch, and the War Crimes’: Twitter roasts news of Trump Jr. book deal Today 12:36 PM
- Polar Peak in Fortnite is cracking, and players think a dragon may be beneath the ice Today 12:07 PM
- ‘Rise of Skywalker’ first look reveals mysterious new characters Today 12:00 PM
These Twitter accounts pair wrestling with your favorite TV shows
‘Parks and Rec,’ ‘Always Sunny,’ and ‘Arrested Development’ put on their spandex.
Wrestling is having a moment on Twitter. The social media network has been blessed with the likes of @WWESubway @WrestlingPoetry and @WWEdril—accounts that pair sports entertainment with your meals, verse, and absurdism.
Proving you can combine all three of those things and distill them into something even greater, three new WWE mashup accounts have popped up. Their focus? Pairing cult classic sitcom lines with everyone’s favorite WWE superstars.
First up is @parks_and_wwe, or Monday Night Pawnee, if you will:
We all knew Dean Ambrose had the bravado of Ron Swanson lurking somewhere deep inside him. @parkes_and_wwe just confirms it. Though Xavier Woods makes a pretty formidable Donna Meagle stand-in, the entire New Day are everything “treat yo’ self” about the current WWE product.
Juxtaposed in between quotes as saccharine sweet as a box of Booty-O’s are retweets of something far more depraved: @wwealwayssunny.
The accounts appear to be related, with the wrestling-meets-It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia Twitter constituting @parks_and_wwe’s lone followback. Both were started in June, though they’re not the first sitcom wrestling mashups to grace social media. Meet @WresDevelopment, the Arrested Development entry in this WWE absurdist pairings contest:
@WresDevelopment mysteriously stopped tweeting mid-May. There’s no reason to hang your head and wait for some sad Charlie Brown music, however. If the account can inspire two more in three months’ time, just imagine all the sweet wrestling sitcom programming gracing Twitter in half a year.
And just imagine the finishers. Who knew meat tornadoes could be so devastating?
A former Weekend Editor at the Daily Dot, April Siese's reporting covers everything from technology and politics to web culture and humor. Her work has been published by Bustle, Uproxx, Death and Taxes, Rolling Stone, the Daily Beast, Thrillist, Atlas Obscura, and others. Siese joined Quartz in December 2016.