- ‘Portrait of a Lady on Fire’ is a transcendent, lesbian period romance 3 Years Ago
- Where to stream ‘Zombieland’ before ‘Double Tap’ comes out 3 Years Ago
- ‘Deadpool’ screenwriter says that Disney sequel will still be R-rated Today 11:45 AM
- #DeleteFacebook trends amid report of Zuckerberg meeting with prominent conservatives Today 11:45 AM
- The Pixelbook Go is Google’s first attempt at a mid-range Chromebook Today 11:33 AM
- All the games coming to Google Stadia Today 10:49 AM
- Google just announced a line of Nest-branded smart home products Today 10:36 AM
- ‘Fake news’ is helping conspiracy theorists deny Turkish atrocities Today 10:15 AM
- YouTuber immediately loses gig with Sanders campaign over sexualized MLK video Today 9:59 AM
- John Bolton becomes the most uncomfortable resistance hero yet Today 9:16 AM
- Robert Eggers on the long, hard road to ‘The Lighthouse’ Today 9:10 AM
- How to watch the fourth 2020 Democratic debate Today 9:00 AM
- Is social media normalizing cultural appropriation? Today 7:45 AM
- Zoë Kravitz will play Catwoman after being told she was too ‘urban’ for ‘Dark Knight Rises’ Today 6:36 AM
- The 5 best Spike Lee movies Today 5:00 AM
Welcome back to our regular series examining the most popular posts on some of Reddit’s more specific and hilarious communities. In the past, we’ve enjoyed the odd, visceral joy of things cut in half, and the unintentional architectural horrors of evil buildings. Today, we’re focusing on one of my personal favorite subreddits, r/shitty_car_mods.
It’s a pretty popular destination, boasting about 106,000 subscribed users. It gets by because there’s no shortage of people doing terrible things to their vehicles, and the world needs a reliquary for dumb spinners. I grew up with a dad who installed a fake “grenade launcher” button in his Ford pickup, so I think I’m uniquely qualified to bring you the highlights. Below, enjoy eight car mods from people who have a very bad idea of “cool.”
At 5,875 upvotes, the one thing on this subreddit I would actually buy.
Are we sure this shouldn’t be in “awesome car mods” and not “shitty car mods?” Like, I get that it’s dumb, but I’m pretty sure looking like Vin Diesel is better than whatever fucking neon you’re putting under an Escalade. Just my take.
At 5,358 upvotes, technically not a car mod but absolutely amazing nonetheless.
I want to see these things everywhere. This guy has the right idea. We need shitty fake Battlebots weaponry on all traversal devices. I want a Razor Scooter with 50-inch rims. Get on it.
At 4,449 upvotes, a giant field goal post strapped to the back of a racecar.
It’s like if someone was fucking around in Forza Motorsport, except in real life.
At 4,009 upvotes, great for dodging the green shell.
I’m sure this would work great in any race where you’re going up against Wario or Racer X.
At 3,837 upvotes, it’s like the bro version of steampunk.
What’s cooler than being cool? Fucking up your vehicle’s emissions to the point where it’s borderline illegal.
At 3,830 upvotes, that definitely looked cooler in his head.
I’m just gonna dump a can of neon blue paint in my engine bay and I’m gonna drive around like the damn Fast and the Furious!!!
At 3,805 upvotes, karma is a bitch.
I really want to see the look on this guy’s face when he realized how royally he fucked up.
At 3,717 upvotes, infanticide.
So you take home your brand new Corvette and immediately ask someone at an auto shop to gut out the back seats, turning it into a truck. You could’ve, you know, bought a truck. But no. I feel bad for people who sell cars sometimes. It’s a fucking Camaro! And it couldn’t have gone to someone worse. Blood is on all of our hands.
Entertainment and sports reporter Luke Winkie has written everywhere from A.V Club to Vice, including Sports Illustrated, Rolling Stone, Kotaku, Playboy, Mel, and Polygon.