- Pete Buttigieg mocked over ‘staged’ walking photo Today 12:22 PM
- Louise Linton deletes pro-Greta Thunberg Instagram post Today 10:58 AM
- ‘Crip Camp’ shows how a radical summer camp was monumental to the disability rights movement Today 9:08 AM
- How to live stream the 2020 Grammy Awards Today 7:00 AM
- Technology created deepfakes—does it have a way to stop them, too? Today 6:30 AM
- SESTA-FOSTA is ‘detrimental’ to sex workers’ safety, study confirms Today 6:00 AM
- Jeff Bezos’ girlfriend allegedly sent his nudes to her brother, who then leaked them Saturday 6:38 PM
- This Instagram account catches influencers in the wild Saturday 5:42 PM
- The best upcoming video games to look out for in February 2020 Saturday 5:23 PM
- TikTok teens use AirPods and Google Translate to secretly talk in class Saturday 4:32 PM
- Video shows corpses of coronavirus victims lying in China hospital Saturday 3:44 PM
- Kid meets Slipknot after drumming video goes viral Saturday 2:30 PM
- Channing Tatum responds to troll who tried to compare Jenna Dewan and Jessie J’s looks Saturday 1:46 PM
- Grindr pulls an ‘I don’t know her’ after Eminem suggests he uses the app Saturday 12:48 PM
- Here are the top 10 most popular Instagram models in 2020 Saturday 12:21 PM
People online are laughing at–but are respecting the hustle of–a person who sent a Photoshopped image of a nail in a tire to their boss to get out of work.
Twitter user @sydneyywhitson tweeted the riveting story Wednesday morning, along with the image her coworker sent in.
“My coworker called in (yet again) and said she had a nail on her tire that caused her to have a flat. I need everyone to stop what they’re doing and ZOOM IN TO THE NAIL IN THE PICTURE SHE SENT MY BOSS,” sydneyywhitson tweeted.
my coworker called in (yet again) and said she had a nail on her tire that caused her to have a flat. i need everyone to stop what they’re doing and ZOOM IN TO THE NAIL IN THE PICTURE SHE SENT MY BOSS pic.twitter.com/4NcJGuvF4F— syd the kid (@sydneyywhitson) January 8, 2020
If you zoom in on the photo, you can tell the nail is obviously fake and Photoshopped in the picture. But some astute viewers pointed out the tire isn’t real either.
Another pointed out that it’s one of the first images to pop up upon searching “nail in tire” in Google Search.
girl that tire isn't even real lmao— ᶜ ᵃ ʸ ˡ ᵃ (@ohgrime) January 8, 2020
Some users compared it to the classic “graphic design is my passion” meme.
But many respected the individual’s hustle.
“She did what she had to do,” Twitter user @TheTeeta wrote.
She did what she had to do 🤷🏾♂️— Teeta 💭 (@TheTeeta) January 9, 2020
Cartoon network tire😄😄😂😂 she earned that day just cuz of effort— rashon (@HallRashon) January 9, 2020
Naturally, many users helpfully tweeted out actual photos of flat tires for others to use the next time they can’t make it to work.
Here’s an actual picture you can use next time pic.twitter.com/v0QqrymGUc— 𝚂𝚊𝚖 𝙱𝚘𝚒 (@SamuelJarman) January 9, 2020
Here y’all go.. Let y’all bosses know the reason y’all are running late is because y’all tire had a nail, puncture or gash in it and you’re at the tire shop trying to get it fixed.... You guys are all welcome pic.twitter.com/wxgyaGdR2i— M. ⚜️ (@mycity_504) January 9, 2020
**** a tip for those saving real pics to use one day*****— a s h 🌹 (@luckyXashh) January 9, 2020
If your boss is smart enough and if they have an iPhone (idk if it’s the same for Android)...if you save a pic to your photos that someone sent, it’ll show you the time and date when u find it in your photos****
And some users just had to be a little extra and encouraged employees to go big or go home when calling out.
“Just throw [this] in for a lil razzle dazzle,” Twitter user @MarciaLaRein wrote, along with a photo of a totaled car.
just adding to the thread, y’all can use this to spice things up pic.twitter.com/vhmk6GWNfR— ju$tin (@JustinBroski2) January 9, 2020
have a gray ford fusion or a green SUV? throw this one in a text and enjoy your day off pic.twitter.com/TT5uRkbOWG— antonio (@antoniodelotero) January 9, 2020
If anyone wants to use this they can. I was doing 70 on the highway and tire randomly blew out. Thank god I ain’t spin out. pic.twitter.com/u99o3tIerD— Left on Read Papi 👺 (@Papito_Em) January 9, 2020
Esther Bell is a writer for the Daily Dot. She recently graduated from Northwestern University with a degree in journalism, and her work has appeared in Bustle and Teen Vogue.