- Groom’s mother sabotages wedding by tricking guests into wearing jorts and hoodies 9 Months Ago
- No one believes Bill de Blasio’s son sent him these debate prep texts Today 3:26 PM
- Meek Mill, Jay-Z to release ‘Free Meek’ documentary on Amazon Prime Today 3:20 PM
- 3 ways to secure your Nest cameras Today 3:15 PM
- This Pokémon generator site is creating hilarious monsters Today 2:48 PM
- MrBeast impersonator tricks kid into destroying his XBox Today 12:50 PM
- This mom has the perfect nickname for her nonbinary kid Today 12:25 PM
- Netflix tests pop-out player that will allow viewers to multitask Today 11:44 AM
- Man allowed to sue media publishers over readers’ Facebook comments Today 11:42 AM
- Republicans slammed for joke about ‘heavily armed militia’ at Oregon statehouse Today 11:30 AM
- New bill wants tech companies to tell you how much your data is worth Today 10:53 AM
- AOC has the best response to Steve King’s ‘concentration camp’ criticism Today 10:19 AM
- Did Jake Paul and Tana Mongeau just get engaged? Today 9:26 AM
- Leaked documents reveal all the ‘red flags’ about Trump officials Today 9:02 AM
- Elon Musk, who wants to colonize space, thought the moon was Mars Today 8:56 AM
Milan Risky/Shutterstock (Licensed)
He’s not your everyday-type prankster.
As far as internet slang goes, “OG” is on the older end of the spectrum. If you haven’t caught on just yet to phrases like “he’s the OG” or “that was so OG,” it’s safe to say you’re a little behind. But enough dragging you—what is OG, and what does OG mean in context?
What does OG mean?
According to Urban Dictionary’s most popular definition, OG is a simple abbreviation that “used to mean Original Gangster.” It has since been further co-opted to mean simply “original.”
Rapper Ice-T definitely didn’t invent the terminology for OG, but he might be the first person you reference.
In mainstream culture, calling something or someone OG or O.G. dates back to the early ’90s. Ice-T released his fourth studio album, O.G. Original Gangster in 1991. The album peaked at number 15 on the Billboard 200 chart and is Ice-T’s most successful record to date.
In the record’s title song, “O.G. Original Gangster,” Ice-T provides probably the best OG definition to date:
I ain’t no super hero
I ain’t no Marvel Comic
But when it comes to game I’m atomic
At droppin’ it straight
Point blank and untwisted
No imagination needed, ’cause I lived it
This ain’t no fuckin’ joke
This shit is real to me
Still, to describe something as OG dates back much further than Ice-T. Another popular OG reference point is the original gangsters, like Al Capone, Bugs Moran, Owney Madden, and other bootleggers and mobsters of the Prohibition era.
- What does Poke mean on Facebook?
- ‘Yeet’ explained: What does it mean and where did it come from?
- What does bae mean?
- What does AF mean?
You might also hear someone referencing O.G. when talking about strains of weed. OG Kush is a popular strain of marijuana both for regular stoners and even those who have limited knowledge of weed strains. According to Wikileaf, The strain also draws its name from “Original Gangster,” due to its “status as an old-school building block strain.” Though some interpretations refer to OG Kush as “ocean grown,” in reference to its origins on the coast of California.
Today, people continue to use “OG” on social sites when discussing pop culture—especially TV and movie reboots.
- What does HMU mean?
- ‘Wig:’ The meaning behind the popular slang term
- What does NSFW mean?
- What does SMH mean?
Editor’s note: This article is regularly updated for relevance.
Lauren L'Amie is the SEO editor of the Daily Dot. Her work focuses on women and the internet, tech, and health. Previously, she has contributed to Tom's Guide and Texas Monthly. Currently, she is based in Brooklyn and becoming a keyword ninja.