- Cooking Mama’s return whips up a fresh batch of memes Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Influencer body-shames model, Photoshops photo of self to ‘prove point’ Tuesday 7:27 PM
- Boosie Badazz goes on transphobic rant about Dwyane Wade’s daughter Tuesday 6:34 PM
- Royal Family’s website accidentally links to porn instead of charity Tuesday 5:39 PM
- Republican senator spreads false conspiracy about coronavirus Tuesday 5:11 PM
- New DNA technology could help exonerate Black man serving life sentence Tuesday 4:24 PM
- ‘SNL’s’ Kenan Thompson to host the White House Correspondents’ Dinner Tuesday 3:58 PM
- Singer Summer Walker dragged for insensitive HIV comments Tuesday 2:39 PM
- This video of a teddy bear getting steam cleaned makes a perfect meme Tuesday 2:27 PM
- Ted Cruz goes on Twitter tirade over proposed vasectomy bill Tuesday 2:22 PM
- Billie Eilish says she’s stopped reading Instagram comments Tuesday 2:13 PM
- Christian group blames satanists for Twitter poll results Tuesday 1:41 PM
- Coronavirus has pandemic-themed video games topping charts Tuesday 12:58 PM
- Bloomberg said kids are drawn to socialism because they think it involves social media Tuesday 12:55 PM
- Jake Paul gives ill-informed advice on how to deal with anxiety Tuesday 12:25 PM
A social media manager for coconut water brand Vita Coco peed into a jar because an amateur MMA fighter said coconut water was “fucking disgusting.” And the sentence you just read is completely true.
In a consumer world where “orange-flavored drink” Sunny D tweets about coping with depression, Tony The Tiger legitimately had to leave Twitter after being incessantly sexually harassed by furries, and SpaghettiOs had to profusely apologize after posting a Pearl Harbor tribute, this was somehow bound to happen.
I can’t do this anymore— SUNNYD (@sunnydelight) February 4, 2019
On Wednesday, amateur MMA fighter Tony Posnanski tweeted about his distaste for coconut water. Seeing a chance for online brand engagement and a possible viral moment, the verified Twitter account for Vita Coco offered some free coconut water.
“Save that nasty shit for someone else. I would rather drink your social media persons piss than coconut water,” Posnanski replied, not knowing the consequences his words would quickly bring.
Fuck that. Save that nasty shit for someone else. I would rather drink your social media persons piss than coconut water.— Tony Posnanski (@tonyposnanski) May 15, 2019
Shortly after, the verified account for Vita Coco broke new ground in what a brand is willing to do online for attention. Vita Coco posted a picture of the brand’s social media manager in a bathroom holding a jar of what was presumably her pee and a caption asking for Posnanski’s address in order to send him the jar.
Address? pic.twitter.com/sQ7Mxrdj9f— Vita Coco (@VitaCoco) May 15, 2019
According to Vox, the whole incident was actually a marketing stunt to promote Vita Coco’s “Impossible to Hate” campaign focusing on the brand’s new line of coconut water that actually tastes like coconut. “Like an Almond Joy,” Vita Coco brand director Allison Finazzo explained.
After learning the actual nature of this exchange, the one thing left unclear was the pee itself. Despite the reveal that Vita Coco was purposely looking for coconut water haters to bait into Twitter arguments, the brand insists that one aspect of the incident was wholly real. Somebody from Vita Coco really did pee in a jar.
The Daily Dot reached out for verification and got exactly what we expected.
- Teaser photo for ‘Old Town Road’ remix video inspires a fresh slate of memes
- Video footage shows frat bros forcing beer down puppy’s throat
- This subreddit gathers ‘ample’ evidence of the worst male writing about women
Ignacio Martinez is a reporter specializing in online gaming and political communities. His work has previously appeared in the Texas Observer and on the airwaves at KVRX 91.7 FM. He is based in Austin, Texas, and you can follow him on Twitter at @NacioMartinez.