- The horror game banned for mocking China’s president probably isn’t coming back 2 Months Ago
- Cheap vibrators, condoms, and lube: The most satisfying Amazon Prime Day deals 2 Months Ago
- George R.R. Martin says fan backlash won’t affect his ‘Game of Thrones’ ending 2 Months Ago
- The very finest Area 51 memes 2 Months Ago
- Tweet map ranks states where people are boycotting Amazon Prime Day Today 1:54 PM
- Lil Nas X says he will perform at Area 51 for free Today 12:56 PM
- The best Prime Day deals for gamers Today 12:53 PM
- How Republicans are dancing around Trump’s racist tweets Today 12:42 PM
- Not even anti-immigrant groups are defending Trump’s ‘go back’ tweets Today 12:37 PM
- Netflix’s latest chase thriller ‘Point Blank’ lacks electricity Today 12:27 PM
- Jay Inslee floats Megan Rapinoe as his secretary of state pick Today 11:33 AM
- The cast list for the ‘Kingsman’ prequel movie looks totally nuts Today 11:17 AM
- The best Prime Day deals to heat up your kitchen Today 11:16 AM
- YouTuber Emily Hartridge killed in electric scooter crash Today 10:50 AM
- Is Lashana Lynch really playing 007 in the new Bond movie? Today 10:33 AM
Teaser photo for ‘Old Town Road’ remix video inspires a fresh slate of memes
The Atlanta rapper and country sensation posted a photo of himself dressed as a cowboy, peering down a hole–all Indiana Jones style.
The tweet racked up more than 60,000 likes in less than a day.
Old Town Road, Friday! pic.twitter.com/UWLeVzROLV— nope (@LilNasX) May 14, 2019
The internet collectively lost its mind, churning out hundreds of memes with their own take on the photo.
Some Twitter users thought the photo was reminiscent of the 2003 Disney classic Holes. Others thought it was more reminiscent of the Avengers: End Game theory about Ant-Man crawling up Thanos’ butt to defeat him.
Ant-Man about to take on Thanos https://t.co/dzwswKregT— Burgener? I barely know ‘er! (@Tylerburgener) May 14, 2019
What fast food sees as soon as you leave the drive thru https://t.co/3DWkQImzcr— matt crouse (@jive_turkey69) May 14, 2019
The new Indiana Jones movie looks great https://t.co/igc1kYTyjs— 𝕏𝕆 𝕊𝕚𝕣𝕖𝕟 💋 (@XOSiren_) May 14, 2019
Me looking at my father while im being born. https://t.co/NqgBdPJInn— Luzy (@overlordluzy) May 14, 2019
me confirming my hero build before leaving the imperial sewers in Oblivion https://t.co/C6ESo0Jz9e— The Elder Memes (@TheElderMemes) May 14, 2019
Thought this was a Holes remake lol https://t.co/coF5ctGQor— Julez Shepptana (@Shepptar) May 14, 2019
Some admitted the teaser gave them Indiana Jones or Jumanji vibes.
Lil Nas X was most commonly referred to as Sam from Holes. Many retweets included the caption “I can fix that,” which is a line the onion man repeats throughout his brief appearance in the movie.
Sam from Holes is about to blow our minds https://t.co/lSRHMQbjTV— sailor moonshine (@alaskastardust) May 14, 2019
"I can fix that" ~ Onion Guy from Holes https://t.co/oEebb3bL0a— Eye Sack Gooseman (@isaac_guzman223) May 14, 2019
Lil Nas X’s amalgam of hip-hop and country went viral earlier this year after gaining momentum on TikTok with the #YeeHaw challenge. Users gave themselves a country makeover to the tune of “Old Town Road.”
While it landed at the top of the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart, Billboard retroactively disqualified it and removed it from the list.
This spurred a conversation about what constitutes the country genre today. It also prompted a collaboration with country music legend Billy Ray Cyrus for the song’s remix, which was released in March.
The official music video for that remix will be dropping Friday.
- TikTok favorite Lil Nas X ropes in Billy Ray Cyrus for ‘Old Town Road’ remix
- The ‘Old Town Road’ memes will ride ’til they can’t no more
- Listen to ‘Old Town Road’ remade with only horse sounds
- Arya’s white horse inspires an onslaught of Uber memes
Alyse Stanley is a video game and culture reporter based in Virginia with words at Polygon and USGamer. When she’s not writing about memes, she edits Unwinnable’s monthly magazine. You can follow her on Twitter @pithyalyse.