- Jordan Peele’s ‘Us’ is already a meme gold mine 5 Months Ago
- ‘Queen’s Shadow’ is a brilliant character study into a ‘Star Wars’ fan favorite 5 Months Ago
- Roku vs Apple TV: Which streaming device rules them all? 5 Months Ago
- Trans/Sex: Here’s what you need to know before having sex with a trans woman 5 Months Ago
- How to spot a deepfake 5 Months Ago
- Here’s the best ‘Game of Thrones’ fanfiction Today 6:00 AM
- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ unmasks the time-traveling Red Angel Thursday 8:30 PM
- Everyone is making memes of Meghan McCain saying ‘my father’ on loop Thursday 8:11 PM
- Irony of Georgia’s sperm-reporting bill flies by anti-abortion advocates Thursday 7:11 PM
- Sex scandals are consuming the K-pop industry Thursday 5:44 PM
- Trump supporters are abandoning Fox News over network’s latest hire Thursday 5:20 PM
- QAnon is attacking a random woman in a disturbing and dangerous way Thursday 4:59 PM
- Google celebrates Bach with AI-powered, music-making doodle Thursday 4:53 PM
- RIP: The best free trial in all of streaming entertainment Thursday 2:19 PM
- Which ‘Florida Man’ are you? Thursday 1:06 PM
‘Hold on tight, spider monkey.’
Twilight is 10 years old, but that isn’t stopping fans from flashing back to a decade ago when Team Edward and Team Jacob merchandise dominated stores, the media, and many teenagers’ hearts.
All this time after the films debuted, love for Twilight has seemingly reignited across Twitter and Tumblr. The fans are referring to it as a “Twilight renaissance,” and indeed it’s perfect timing. The 10-year anniversary of the film franchise was on Oct. 5, and the film is releasing on 4K Blu-ray for the first time on Oct. 23.
There has maybe never been a better time to be a Twilight fan, as many folks seem to be celebrating rather than making fun of the franchise. Twitter is especially a hotbed of Twilight content, with diehard fans making new memes to show their eternal love for the novels and films.
tumblr is full of twilight memes lately and honestly i love it skjhsjksjk pic.twitter.com/YBWVGCjQV2
— Laura. (@comcswim) September 13, 2018
me trying to impress my crush with absolutely no conversational or flirting skills at all pic.twitter.com/ZV4Rcve16R
— IN(DIE) (@INDIEWASHERE) October 18, 2018
cinematic masterpiece pic.twitter.com/0RysEPnzj1
— agi (@finaIizer) September 29, 2018
friend, handing me the aux: please just don't….don't play that again its been years—
— f thot fitzgerald (@dracomallfoys) October 3, 2018
Tumblr is positively bustling, as well. Entire new accounts on the platform are devoted to Twilight memes and discussions.
People are running with all kinds of takes on Twilight, like suggesting (without much evidence) that Rosalie and the entire cast could be queer. Some are pointing out the problematic aspects of the franchise, especially in its depictions of Native American characters.
Twilight is back, for better or for worse, but don’t think it’s OK to bully anyone because they happen to like sparkly vampires. As one Tumblr user recounts, being teased so harshly about being a Twilight fan had negative lasting effects.
Others aren’t being as eloquent about their diving back into the fandom.
Whether you believe the entirety of the Cullen clan is indeed gay, or you just want to excitedly re-embrace the franchise, you’ve gotta hand it to Twilight: It’s endured after all these years. Now if we could only choose between Team Edward and Team Jacob once and for all.
H/T BuzzFeed News
Brittany Vincent has covered gaming, anime, tech, and entertainment for over a decade. When she’s not writing, she’s replaying Um Jammer Lammy or Day of the Tentacle for the hundredth time while pining for a Harvester sequel. Find her on Twitter @MolotovCupcake.