- George Lucas helped direct ‘Game of Thrones’—and he’s not a Jon Snow fan 1 Year Ago
- Conspiracy theorists got me suspended from Twitter—and now I understand them better 1 Year Ago
- What is the Golden Company, Cersei’s new mercenary army? Today 7:00 AM
- The ultimate cord-cutting guide for sports fans Today 6:53 AM
- ‘Little Teeth’ is a tribute to 20-something queer growing pains Today 6:30 AM
- Here’s what’s coming to Amazon Prime in May 2019 Today 5:30 AM
- Beyoncé’s ‘Lemonade’ is finally coming to Spotify, Apple Music Wednesday 8:48 PM
- Ubisoft is offering Assassin’s Creed Unity for free to support Notre Dame Wednesday 8:25 PM
- Are teens really eating foods with the ‘shells on’ for a new viral challenge? Wednesday 6:39 PM
- The new Samsung Galaxy Fold already seems to be falling apart Wednesday 4:17 PM
- Think the ‘Game of Thrones’ spirals are all connected? Think again Wednesday 3:13 PM
- Rudy Giuliani retweets prominent QAnon supporter Wednesday 2:03 PM
- India bans TikTok over concerns of child endangerment Wednesday 2:00 PM
- JJ Abrams says there’s more to Rey’s origin story Wednesday 1:16 PM
- Lisa Ann says Equinox trainer looked up her number and sent her a creepy text Wednesday 1:01 PM
Trump demands respect for the national anthem—then forgets the lyrics
If it’s such a big deal, why didn’t he learn the words?
Trump’s tweet included a video of himself speaking in defense of farmers, the American flag, and “The Star-Spangled Banner.”
“We want our flag respected – and we want our NATIONAL ANTHEM respected also!” Trump wrote, no doubt referring to athletes’ national anthem protests against police brutality.
We are fighting for our farmers, for our country, and for our GREAT AMERICAN FLAG. We want our flag respected – and we want our NATIONAL ANTHEM respected also! pic.twitter.com/16eOLXg6Fi
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 8, 2018
Just hours after tweeting, Trump showed up at the Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta for the national championship game between the University of Georgia and the University of Alabama.
Not only was he booed on the way in, but Trump also appeared to botch the lyrics to the national anthem. He hardly moved his mouth to the second line of the song. (It goes like this: “What so proudly we hail’d at the twilight’s last gleaming.”)
Trump doesn’t know the words to the anthem?? pic.twitter.com/NkGI95hX6c
— adam ferrone (@_rone) January 9, 2018
Trump didn’t appear to know many of the words to the anthem at all. At some points, he stopped even pretending to sing.
— ABC News (@ABC) January 9, 2018
People on Twitter pointed out the irony of Trump forgetting the words to the national anthem after so adamantly demanding respect for it.
he kinda made a big deal out of honoring the national anthem tho, and he doesn’t bother to learn it?
— margeaux ❄️✨ (@pandatropia) January 9, 2018
Writer and Black Lives Matter activist Shaun King called Trump not knowing the national anthem a “disgrace.”
The man CLEARLY does not know the words to the National Anthem. This is indisputable.
All of that hate he has spewed toward Black folk about taking a knee and the man doesn’t know the words.
A disgrace. https://t.co/JrwPXRXSoY
— Shaun King (@ShaunKing) January 9, 2018
“All of that hate he has spewed toward Black folk about taking a knee and the man doesn’t know the words,” King wrote.
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.