- Majority of threats made since El Paso and Dayton shootings have been made online Thursday 8:00 PM
- Miley Cyrus tweets about cheating allegations and penis cake drama Thursday 6:32 PM
- ‘The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance’ dazzles with a timely tale Thursday 6:00 PM
- The DOJ emailed a white nationalist blog post to immigration judges Thursday 5:31 PM
- The Amazon rainforest is on fire–and people are using memes to cope Thursday 4:11 PM
- Microsoft contractors listened in on Xbox users Thursday 2:15 PM
- Anti-vaxxer assaults pro-vaccine lawmaker on Facebook Live (updated) Thursday 2:15 PM
- Oreos licked by singer Lewis Capaldi are being auctioned off on eBay Thursday 1:54 PM
- Zach Braff predicted Sean Spicer would be on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 2 years ago Thursday 1:38 PM
- NYPD sergeant who watched Eric Garner die punished with lost vacation days Thursday 1:27 PM
- Brie Larson haters have a meltdown over a joke about Thor’s hammer Thursday 1:26 PM
- This comedian attempted to make fun of women on Twitter—and it did not go over well Thursday 1:04 PM
- Logan Paul wants to help the Amazon rainforest Thursday 12:36 PM
- Nutaku announces redesign and filters for LGBTQ porn games (updated) Thursday 12:25 PM
- This video of dozens of inflatable mattresses taking off in the wind is perfect Thursday 12:20 PM
With the rise of increasingly available information right at our fingertips, it’s no surprise that we’ve encountered our fair share of childhood-ruining facts.
Well, here’s another one for you. Remember the little piggy who went to market? It turns out he wasn’t just buying apples.
The revelation was shared on Twitter by user AngelicGirlxD, whose viral tweet shocked generations of kids who thought the little piggy just needed to do some grocery shopping.
I am 28 years old and you just destroyed my childhood https://t.co/64UdvQfWeC— jay misérables (@jaythenerdkid) August 23, 2018
I just learned that. I like pictured a momma pig 🐷 in a 50s floral jacket going to the market. https://t.co/87InBieA4b— Saraï Cole-Freericks (@TallDarknGorg) August 23, 2018
Wait, what? I am 50 years old and I realized it while reading the below tweet. I am going to need a few minutes ... https://t.co/O9RJUuqG5U— Jack Pringle (@jjpringlesc) August 22, 2018
Some users were straight up in denial and took on a loose interpretation of the nursery rhyme instead.
“I’m calling in death of the author and post-structuralist theory here to say that the modern transmission of meaning around this story means that this pig definitely did go food shopping and he’s living with his family now and is very happy,” user Julie Muncy wrote.
Right, obviously it's a reference to imposing neoliberal reforms https://t.co/Xb6lZRCsgs— Jonathan Chait (@jonathanchait) August 22, 2018
I ask you all, if a little piggy can have ROAST BEEF, what is so surreal about a sibling (one assumes) going shopping at the market instead of being cruelly slaughtered (on a small child's toe!) or sent, desperately squealing, to become bacon?— Guy Gavriel Kay (@guygavrielkay) August 23, 2018
It's enough to make one kosher. https://t.co/OX7oSOhdZf
Either way, we can be certain this won’t be the last life-ruining fact we’ll be running into.
Kristina Nguyen is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot. She is studying journalism and American studies at the University of Texas at Austin. She has previously contributed to Orange magazine and Silk Club's QUIET! zine.