- The new ‘Cats’ trailer is here to make you want to claw your eyes out Thursday 7:59 PM
- Bella Thorne claims Tana Mongeau ‘broke girl code’ in a series of messy tweets Thursday 7:00 PM
- Redditors keep this data engineer’s plants alive for him Thursday 5:20 PM
- Professor writes article defending ‘Asian romantic preference’—and no one is here for it Thursday 4:57 PM
- Ditch Pornhub and support adult content creators instead Thursday 4:46 PM
- Fans grieve Kyoto Animation Studio fire with #PrayforKyoAni Thursday 4:18 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Secret Obsession’ isn’t just terrible—it’s boring as hell Thursday 3:30 PM
- Instagram expands experiment of hiding likes to 6 more countries Thursday 3:20 PM
- Man asks woman to stop speaking Spanish on a plane—and bystanders start speaking Spanish Thursday 12:55 PM
- Schumer calls on FBI, FTC to investigate FaceApp Thursday 12:41 PM
- Netflix loses subscribers—but hopes some tentpole shows can save it Thursday 12:10 PM
- Man utterly roasted for saying women can’t ask for equality in revealing clothing Thursday 12:07 PM
- Instagram struggles to remove photos of Bianca Devins’ dead body Thursday 11:14 AM
- ‘Storm Area 51’ creator says its gotten so big he’s worried about the FBI Thursday 10:49 AM
- Everyone loves Q baby, the baby who apparently supports QAnon Thursday 9:53 AM
‘This is so sad Alexa play Despacito’ is a meme that is trying to lighten the mood
If you’re not into ‘Despacito,’ insert another song instead.
Ever been so sad about something you’ve just seen, read, or heard that you just had to express your feelings on Twitter, or in a text? Maybe you said something like “That’s so sad.” But then you really wanted to hear your favorite song (because reasons), so you turned your head away from the screen and immediately called out to Alexa to “play ‘Despacito!‘”
Uh, us either. But we sure do like the fun and strange new word salad-like meme that’s been making the rounds. Say it with us: This is so sad Alexa play Despacito. It may not make sense at first but just think about it. Someone’s just said something that you’re supposed to be upset about. You’re supposed to empathize. Instead, you’re only half-listening and you want to hear “Despacito.”
every traumatic incident in my life is a lot funnier if i think of “this is so sad alexa play despacito” afterwards— famflix420 (@milkandglitter) June 26, 2018
The apparent creator of the meme told New York magazine’s Select/All that he posted the line “this is so sad alexa play despacito” a week ago to Tumblr after his cat ate his spaghetti. And now people are using the line to lighten the mood after a sad event. It’s a half-hearted, misguided attempt to make things “brighter.” And “Despacito” is a rump-shaker and a half. It could probably liven up anything, right?
can't believe Germany lost and all of México collectively went 'this is so sad alexa play fake love by bts'— catboy (@seokjinuchiha) June 27, 2018
Me talking to my depression: Hi, can you give me a break? I have finals and too many tests and job interviews and I haven't slept properly in ages and I-— Out of Context (@RaymondHclt) June 29, 2018
My depression: this is so sad, Alexa play despacito
The meme gets funnier the more it’s combined with our favorite pop culture scenes, ranging from Game of Thrones to Mean Girls and everything in between.
regina: [gets hit by a bus]— sophie SEES WTM TODAY!! ☾ (@wtmbway) June 27, 2018
cady: this is so sad alexa play despacito
snape: dying— ً (@accioblythe) June 29, 2018
james: this is so sad alexa play despacito
nakia: t'challa was murdered in a ritual combat— beth (@sam_bucky) June 27, 2018
m'baku: this is so sad alexa play despacito
vision and wanda: *saying their goodbyes and crying*— lynne | amatw july 6!! (@softedhearts) June 28, 2018
thanos: this is so sad alexa play despacito
lysa: *gets thrown out the moon door to her death*— lauren (@sansastcrk) June 29, 2018
sansa: this is so sad alexa play despacito
If even works when the meme is applied to our Extremely Online selves.
someone: tells a sophisticated joke that takes context to understand it— ˗ˏˋ teja ˎˊ˗ (@trivksterloki) June 29, 2018
twitter: this is so sad alexa play despacito
Brittany Vincent has covered gaming, anime, tech, and entertainment for over a decade. When she’s not writing, she’s replaying Um Jammer Lammy or Day of the Tentacle for the hundredth time while pining for a Harvester sequel. Find her on Twitter @MolotovCupcake.