- YouTuber to pay restitution after a teen fan died copying her video Today 10:36 AM
- Antonio Brown sent ‘intimidating’ texts to an accuser, including a pic of her children Today 9:38 AM
- Facebook suspended tens of thousands of apps after Cambridge Analytica scandal Today 8:24 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Rams on Sunday Night Football Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch ‘NFL Primetime’ on ESPN+ Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Chelsea Friday 6:45 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Sevilla Friday 6:35 PM
- How to stream Peter ‘Kid Chocolate’ Quillin vs. Alfredo Angulo Friday 5:16 PM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Granada Friday 4:50 PM
- ‘Atlantics’ tells a ghost story steeped with emotion and realism Friday 4:16 PM
- ‘Jojo Rabbit’ is a sweet, singular movie that loses its grip on satire Friday 3:40 PM
- Jordan Peterson is in rehab for Klonopin addiction Friday 3:34 PM
- The cat-worshipping turkey cult video, explained Friday 3:22 PM
- Despite legal threats and drama, the Area 51 desert event is on Friday 3:05 PM
- How to stream Yair Rodriguez vs. Jeremy Stephens on UFC Fight Night Friday 3:00 PM
‘This is so sad Alexa play Despacito’ is a meme that is trying to lighten the mood
If you’re not into ‘Despacito,’ insert another song instead.
Ever been so sad about something you’ve just seen, read, or heard that you just had to express your feelings on Twitter, or in a text? Maybe you said something like “That’s so sad.” But then you really wanted to hear your favorite song (because reasons), so you turned your head away from the screen and immediately called out to Alexa to “play ‘Despacito!‘”
Uh, us either. But we sure do like the fun and strange new word salad-like meme that’s been making the rounds. Say it with us: This is so sad Alexa play Despacito. It may not make sense at first but just think about it. Someone’s just said something that you’re supposed to be upset about. You’re supposed to empathize. Instead, you’re only half-listening and you want to hear “Despacito.”
every traumatic incident in my life is a lot funnier if i think of “this is so sad alexa play despacito” afterwards— famflix420 (@milkandglitter) June 26, 2018
The apparent creator of the meme told New York magazine’s Select/All that he posted the line “this is so sad alexa play despacito” a week ago to Tumblr after his cat ate his spaghetti. And now people are using the line to lighten the mood after a sad event. It’s a half-hearted, misguided attempt to make things “brighter.” And “Despacito” is a rump-shaker and a half. It could probably liven up anything, right?
can't believe Germany lost and all of México collectively went 'this is so sad alexa play fake love by bts'— catboy (@seokjinuchiha) June 27, 2018
Me talking to my depression: Hi, can you give me a break? I have finals and too many tests and job interviews and I haven't slept properly in ages and I-— Out of Context (@RaymondHclt) June 29, 2018
My depression: this is so sad, Alexa play despacito
The meme gets funnier the more it’s combined with our favorite pop culture scenes, ranging from Game of Thrones to Mean Girls and everything in between.
regina: [gets hit by a bus]— sophie SEES WTM TODAY!! ☾ (@wtmbway) June 27, 2018
cady: this is so sad alexa play despacito
snape: dying— ً (@accioblythe) June 29, 2018
james: this is so sad alexa play despacito
nakia: t'challa was murdered in a ritual combat— beth (@sam_bucky) June 27, 2018
m'baku: this is so sad alexa play despacito
vision and wanda: *saying their goodbyes and crying*— lynne | amatw july 6!! (@softedhearts) June 28, 2018
thanos: this is so sad alexa play despacito
lysa: *gets thrown out the moon door to her death*— lauren (@sansastcrk) June 29, 2018
sansa: this is so sad alexa play despacito
If even works when the meme is applied to our Extremely Online selves.
someone: tells a sophisticated joke that takes context to understand it— ˗ˏˋ teja ˎˊ˗ (@trivksterloki) June 29, 2018
twitter: this is so sad alexa play despacito
Brittany Vincent has covered gaming, anime, tech, and entertainment for over a decade. When she’s not writing, she’s replaying Um Jammer Lammy or Day of the Tentacle for the hundredth time while pining for a Harvester sequel. Find her on Twitter @MolotovCupcake.